Struggling with FB on WP8

Leafalot

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I don't know if anyone can help me or if I'm being really stupid here. If the answers are somewhere here and I haven't found them, please do point me in the direction :)

I have a windows phone (HTC 8X) and have the FB app installed. I have some people on my friends list who are heavy posters of stuff I don't really want to wade through but they are family or school-friends etc so I don't want to unfriend them, so I have their updates hidden. Same with things like farmville and coasterville etc. When I'm logged in on a regular computer I don't see any of these posts, but on the app I see them all. Is there any way I can get the app to reflect my settings as it's seriously offputting!

Also, because of the above issue, I started using the mobile site rather than the app. But since a few days ago, if I try and comment on a post, it just eats the comment - it's never posted. Gah! Is anyone else having this issue? It's becoming really frustrating. I don't want to rely on the People hub as I spend a fair bit of time interacting in groups on FB and I can't get to those in the hub.

Thanks in advance for any help!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Go to People Hub - Tap on +, Select Group.

Add 20 peeps you care about - name that group something accordingly. Now long hold and then pin that group to start. Double wide tile if you like. Whenever anyone of those 20 peeps do something, your tile will flip and tell you. You can always tap on that tile to go see/stalk those peeps.

If you have more than 20, create another group.

You don't need an app on WP to do such stuff. It's all built in. Like they say - it's the phone re-invented around YOU.

I know you don't want to rely on People Hub, but group chats - can be sent to phone via text if you have free texts. Sign up for mobile FB. The only reason I use touch.facebook.com is when I want to start up a new group chat. All my online friends send me messages on Text Hub. All my feeds are in groups. All my offline friends/groups' messages come to me via text.

Leafalot

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the tips, much appreciated and I'll try that with the people hub groups for sure.

I'm having difficulty getting my head round the last bit (sorry, I'm not very good with this stuff and only got the phone fairly recently so still getting to know it!). One of the groups I'm in is a buy/sell/trade group. It's a busy group, there are new posts really frequently, so I don't have notifications turned on or my phone would constantly be beeping. I like browsing the group on my phone and if I see something I like, comment on the post to ask about it/buy it. I don't view it using the FB app (because of another issue which I didn't mention up there being that in these busy groups, the app seems to only be displaying a small number of the posts compared to what is actually there if I log in on a computer...) and the mobile site won't let me comment, I'm at a loss how I can make this work with the phone. It was working ok when I could comment on posts in the mobile site, but now it won't let me do that...

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tips, much appreciated and I'll try that with the people hub groups for sure.

I'm having difficulty getting my head round the last bit (sorry, I'm not very good with this stuff and only got the phone fairly recently so still getting to know it!). One of the groups I'm in is a buy/sell/trade group. It's a busy group, there are new posts really frequently, so I don't have notifications turned on or my phone would constantly be beeping. I like browsing the group on my phone and if I see something I like, comment on the post to ask about it/buy it. I don't view it using the FB app (because of another issue which I didn't mention up there being that in these busy groups, the app seems to only be displaying a small number of the posts compared to what is actually there if I log in on a computer...) and the mobile site won't let me comment, I'm at a loss how I can make this work with the phone. It was working ok when I could comment on posts in the mobile site, but now it won't let me do that...

Oh! By groups you meant those pages & groups - not groups you form to chat with peeps?

I'm not sure if you can get pages and groups on tile via People Hub. In that case only options are: Fb app, which is not perfect and touch.facebook.com - this is better than m.facebook.com.

Leafalot

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes, sorry if I wasn't clear - I meant those kind of groups/pages rather than chat groups. I use touch.facebook.com, if it would let me comment on posts then I could just dispense with the whole FB app thing and use the People Hub for friends status updates and touch.facebook.com for browsing groups.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had the problem with comments getting eaten and if they managed to fix it anyhow, or if there is anywhere I can report it to - really not sure what my next step is other than just cross fingers and hope the glitch gets fixed soon (and in the meantime I will get on with some work and stop buying used baby stuff off FB ha ha)

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, sorry if I wasn't clear - I meant those kind of groups/pages rather than chat groups. I use touch.facebook.com, if it would let me comment on posts then I could just dispense with the whole FB app thing and use the People Hub for friends status updates and touch.facebook.com for browsing groups.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had the problem with comments getting eaten and if they managed to fix it anyhow, or if there is anywhere I can report it to - really not sure what my next step is other than just cross fingers and hope the glitch gets fixed soon (and in the meantime I will get on with some work and stop buying used baby stuff off FB ha ha)

I've had the eaten comment problem twice now - first time was about a month into owning my 920, second time was yesterday. Completely uninstalling and reinstalling the FB app fixed it both times.

Leafalot

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I've had the eaten comment problem twice now - first time was about a month into owning my 920, second time was yesterday. Completely uninstalling and reinstalling the FB app fixed it both times.

Thanks, I'll have a go. Were you having the eaten comment problem with the mobile site or the app?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss