WhatsApp Questions and Answers thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ah06

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Whatsapp and the Audio API issue. Aren't they right?

WP7.8 has pretty much no way to ensure persistent WiFi connectivity. WP8 handsets that have not been updated to Portico also have no way to ensure persistent connectivity. WP8 Portico+ handsets have an "option" but WiFi is not persistent by default out of the box.

In such a scenario where persistent WiFi cannot be relied upon. Why does Whatsapp cop so much flak for (mis)using the Audio streaming API to keep a WiFi connection ON at all times.

Is there another better, more suitable API they should be using? (VoIP possibly, but they don't have any Voice component either)?

This seems more like Microsoft doing something exceptionally idiotic and Whatsapp having to cope with that. How do other messaging apps handle No Data/No WiFi when screen off scenarios?

Thanks

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: Whatsapp and the Audio API issue. Aren't they right?

WP7.8 has pretty much no way to ensure persistent WiFi connectivity. WP8 handsets that have not been updated to Portico also have no way to ensure persistent connectivity. WP8 Portico+ handsets have an "option" but WiFi is not persistent by default out of the box.

In such a scenario where persistent WiFi cannot be relied upon. Why does Whatsapp cop so much flak for (mis)using the Audio streaming API to keep a WiFi connection ON at all times.

Is there another better, more suitable API they should be using? (VoIP possibly, but they don't have any Voice component either)?

This seems more like Microsoft doing something exceptionally idiotic and Whatsapp having to cope with that. How do other messaging apps handle No Data/No WiFi when screen off scenarios?

Thanks

Because Whatsapp have really cheap servers. Other developers like Liquid Daffodil has more than one app relying on consistent notifications and he is using Azure I think so is the developer from Fhotoroom - and both of them can stay connected consistently and push notifications. Whatsapp is choosing to not push their notifications efficiently! I don't really think WiFi connectivity is an issue here as other IM apps including Skype, WeChat and Line can do it without using the streaming.

Michael Bernard

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know how to get out of a whatsapp group in windows 8 nokia 920?

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET OUT OF A WHATSAPP GROUP IN WINDOWS 8 NOKIA 920?:crying:

ah06

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Does anyone know how to get out of a whatsapp group in windows 8 nokia 920?

Because Whatsapp have really cheap servers. Other developers like Liquid Daffodil has more than one app relying on consistent notifications and he is using Azure I think so is the developer from Fhotoroom - and both of them can stay connected consistently and push notifications. Whatsapp is choosing to not push their notifications efficiently! I don't really think WiFi connectivity is an issue here as other IM apps including Skype, WeChat and Line can do it without using the streaming.

I really don't think that is the case or the issue at all. The problem is Windows Phone does not allow persistent background connections for IM apps (the API is lacking for an 'always listening' mode) and doesn't allow an app to always run in the background either. Finally, it doesn't even allow WiFi to stay on when the screen is off (7/7.5/7.8 kill WiFi whereas 8 has the option but not enabled by default).

In this scenario, how is it on Whatsapp? Their investment (or lack of) in servers is a non issue when there is absolutely no connection between the device and the Internet. Without data and WiFi, there is no way to reach the phone, it is cut off from the world. No amount of investment and streamlining in servers and notifications will help that.

We might be addressing different things here since you mentioned "consistent" notifications. I'm not alluding to the broken notification on Whatsapp (delayed, phanton, repeated) but the fact that without the Audio API 'hack', messaging apps like Whatsapp cannot even connect to the Internet in the first place. The argument about Whatsapp's lack of investment addresses the broken notifications but not the connectivity issue.

Skype is not the same since it is a VoIP app as well. Microsoft does indeed provide an API for agents of VoIP apps to always remain active and keep the connection alive. However, Whatsapp has no VoIP component so that API would be a 'misuse' as well. Not sure about Line and WeChat, really curious to know exactly what API they are using. Couple of other messaging apps are not in fact always connected. You can only test this by turning OFF data and then relying purely on WiFi and turning off the screen for elongated periods (without enabling the keep alive option).

I've seen Liquid Daffodil make some posts around. Can you perhaps guide to me a post where he explains how he manages to keep the WiFi alive and which API he uses?

Thanks

ah06

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Does anyone know how to get out of a whatsapp group in windows 8 nokia 920?

To add a little bit of context to the above. I think users in western countries (hence likely with persistent data connections) are fundamentally misunderstanding the issue at hand.

Windows Phone CAN keep data connection alive at all times
Windows Phone 7/7.5/7.8 CANNOT keep a WiFi connection alive at times (though 8 now has a user opt-in option to)
Windows Phone provides NO API for instant messaging apps to always keep listening or keep the network connection alive when there is no Data and WiFi

These 3 things mean IM apps are a complete no-go in developing markets or indeed for anyone without a Data plan. This is the primary reason Whatsapp uses a known background API (audio streaming) to keep the WiFi connection alive so that Whatsapp can receive messages when the screen is off (and the WiFi would otherwise be terminated & Data connection would already be non-existent).

So for those with Data connections, it might look silly why Whatsapp uses Audio streaming and hence the incorrect conclusion that it is for ease of notifications. However, the reality is it is merely to keep WiFi alive, no other reason.

ah06

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I dug around a bit, looks like we've had similar discussions before :D (but in comment threads of WPCentral posts)

WhatsApp team pushes out another update with yet more improvements | Windows Phone Central

WhatsApp updated yet again, includes more bug fixing | Windows Phone Central

and my reply WhatsApp updated yet again, includes more bug fixing | Windows Phone Central

Also, this post http://forums.windowscentral.com/bl...pp-blackberry-10-really-good.html#post1919492 by ammarmalik2011 is right. The Audio streaming API certainly would drain battery but it is not responsible for the massive battery drain caused by Whatsapp. Whatsapp really kills the battery when you are IN the app and actively chatting. During this time, there is no background audio running (Can be verified by hitting the volume buttons).

Other messaging apps have a problem with instant notifications too (to the best of my knowledge). VoIP apps (like Skype and in the future, Viber) have it better since they can use the VoIP API to be in always ON mode.

LithiumX

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Change whatsapp interface?

Hey there,

Is there a way to edit / change the whatsapp interface? I have a new lumia 820, love it but i HATE the whatsapp style. Why is there no colours in group chats?

Also, there is no "X" to delete a notification of another chat on top of the screen? Is this something WP should fix with an update or is mine bugged?

thanks!!

Greets

CJC_2031

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: Change whatsapp interface?

I get phantom notifications on tile (no message actually there) and for some reason, I never get any audio notifications at all on my Lumia 810. I have every notification setting on that I can find.

Anaron

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Change whatsapp interface?

Hey there,

Is there a way to edit / change the whatsapp interface? I have a new lumia 820, love it but i HATE the whatsapp style. Why is there no colours in group chats?

Also, there is no "X" to delete a notification of another chat on top of the screen? Is this something WP should fix with an update or is mine bugged?

thanks!!

Greets
There's no way to edit the UI in WP8. That means no custom backgrounds or chat bubble colour options. To get rid of a notification, simply swipe it to the right.

I get phantom notifications on tile (no message actually there) and for some reason, I never get any audio notifications at all on my Lumia 810. I have every notification setting on that I can find.
Try reinstalling it. I had the same phantom notification issue and reinstalling it seems to have fixed it. As for notifications, double check your settings (ringtones+sounds). Make sure the "All other notifications" box is checked off.

Chrysogonus_Lie

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Recently, my whatsapp sometimes froze during the opening. I had to restart the phone to get it back to work. Is there anyone having the same problem with me? I'm using Lumia 620

kokola95

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Recently, my whatsapp sometimes froze during the opening. I had to restart the phone to get it back to work. Is there anyone having the same problem with me? I'm using Lumia 620
DDon't close your whatsapp. Just press windows everytime you needs to minimise or close it. It works well to me

devil.insulted

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have seen people complaining about delayed messages from whatsapp.
I had another thread started for this problem sometime back.
My analysis for this issue.
Every day I have to start whatsapp atleast 1 or 2 times in order to have the app running in background.
If I close the app and dont open it for 2 days or 3 days it will be not be showing any notifications.
After we open the app again we will get all the past updates and updates for next 18 hrs or so.
Hence we need to open the app every 18hrs and everytime or everytime we are disconnected from net for long time such as 2 - 3 hrs and it will have no delay in updates.

reh06

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
So from this thread i realize that i should just stick to my n8 till two issues are fixed
1. phantom notification and delayed message
2. save images and videos to phone.

y isn't no one hacking windows yet??

Whatsapp is a very important criteria for my next phone so i guess i'l wait or get an android. whatsapp looks beautiful on it.

cheers

saafan

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
i cant send videos , only i have to record one .
if there thing i dont know please tell me
my device is lumia 920 black

kka

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I am from Turkey and one of technology magazine has brought a news that there is a rumour that Google has thougths on buying Whatsapp. As I know Google has no particular service for wp8. Do you think is there any possibilty that Whatsapp will have no offical app for wp8 in that situation. Sorry for my bad English.

Edit : Lots more, they offered $1Billion.

Last edited:

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I am from Turkey and one of technology magazine has brought a news that there is a rumour that Google has thougths on buying Whatsapp. As I know Google has no particular service for wp8. Do you think is there any possibilty that Whatsapp will have no offical app for wp8 in that situation. Sorry for my bad English.

Edit : Lots more, they offered $1Billion.

Any chance we can get this technology magazine's name and issue number? Can use google translate for the rest

kka

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786