WhatsApp Questions and Answers thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I seem to have the issue, that I am only receiving messages when I actually open Whatsapp.
Like it's being killed in the background or something. Any hints on this? (Horribly new WP user here, Lumia920)

whatsapp uses the audio API, so if you use Stop The Music app, it won't let whatsapp run in the background.

Also, let your WiFi run even when the screen times out (Settings > WiFi > Advanced).

Sgele

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
whatsapp uses the audio API, so if you use Stop The Music app, it won't let whatsapp run in the background.

Also, let your WiFi run even when the screen times out (Settings > WiFi > Advanced).

Holy c... I read about the audio API, but didn't even link it to the Music App. Good morning...
Thank you, kind sir. Much appreciated!

JMBasquiat

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Your app might be fine, but you can't say people are exaggerating the problems.

You may not be exaggerating your problems, but you are exaggerating the size of the problem for others. As many have stated, they simply don't have these problems. You seem to have them, that sucks, but incessantly complaining about it won't solve your problems. WhatsApp is what it is, and an update is forthcoming. In the meantime, you have WeChat, Line, Kakao Talk, Voxer, etc. I can't imagine that temporarily switching to a service that works and then going back to WhatsApp when updated is such a huge issue.

vichuhit

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Hm... Maybe your network connection is not that good as you think. Push notifications requires a strong network connection. And secondly i use WhatsApp 10 hours a day and get notifications as soon as i receive a message all the time.
im not saying the app never crashes at all. It happens one or two times. Yeah, i can wait till it gets updated. So can you. Or change your network, not WP

Sgele

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Full bars here in the office, speedtest is giving good results on this location as well.
It happens both with WIFI on and off. Not too big of a deal though. If people really need me they can always call. I just noticed it ;)

ESKIBOY

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Hm... Maybe your network connection is not that good as you think. Push notifications requires a strong network connection. And secondly i use WhatsApp 10 hours a day and get notifications as soon as i receive a message all the time.
im not saying the app never crashes at all. It happens one or two times. Yeah, i can wait till it gets updated. So can you. Or change your network, not WP

I have looked on other OS forums about this issue. Few users also getting this problem.

vichuhit

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I have looked on other OS forums about this issue. Few users also getting this problem.
i know that too. Let me explain you what's the real problems many users having
1. app crashes a lot: developers fault, they're developing a new revamped version. Currently in private beta stage and will be available in few days.
2. Delayed notifications: Microsoft's fault, all the notifications from any app is directed through MPNS(Microsoft push notification server) to our mobiles including those from WhatsApp. This requires a strong data connection between mobile and MPNS. And this is quite buggy. Sometimes you wont receive notification even if you have a good data connection. Also this service from microsoft provides no method to notify app-servers that notification is delivered to the mobile. And those app servers send this notifications multiple times in order to be sure that the notifications reached mobile. This is the reason why many users getting ghost notifications(repeated notifications).
3. Cannot send media files: microsoft fault. an os limitation. I guess you know that
4. Audio API usage: Microsoft's fault, for not giving an option to keep wi-fi alive after screen lock. Now that portico update provided this option, the new version of WhatsApp ditched this usage.(this version is in private beta now.). Audio API usage is the elegant and simple solution for this.
and for your satisfaction,
the new version of WhatsApp is far far better than current one and you'll get it in (ahem) few days. Wait till that.

Jonathan Piferrer

May 29, 2013
Visit site
i know that too. Let me explain you what's the real problems many users having
1. app crashes a lot: developers fault, they're developing a new revamped version. Currently in private beta stage and will be available in few days.
2. Delayed notifications: Microsoft's fault, all the notifications from any app is directed through MPNS(Microsoft push notification server) to our mobiles including those from WhatsApp. This requires a strong data connection between mobile and MPNS. And this is quite buggy. Sometimes you wont receive notification even if you have a good data connection. Also this service from microsoft provides no method to notify app-servers that notification is delivered to the mobile. And those app servers send this notifications multiple times in order to be sure that the notifications reached mobile. This is the reason why many users getting ghost notifications(repeated notifications).
3. Cannot send media files: microsoft fault. an os limitation. I guess you know that
4. Audio API usage: Microsoft's fault, for not giving an option to keep wi-fi alive after screen lock. Now that portico update provided this option, the new version of WhatsApp ditched this usage.(this version is in private beta now.). Audio API usage is the elegant and simple solution for this.
and for your satisfaction,
the new version of WhatsApp is far far better than current one and you'll get it in (ahem) few days. Wait till that.

Sources? Everybody said first week July... still 3 days remaining of that week....

vichuhit

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Sources? Everybody said first week July... still 3 days remaining of that week....
i don't have :(. I can't say(nor deny) it'll be released this week. WhatsApp team is not giving any official release date. I contacted them at the end of last month, their reply was
"We appreciate your feedback, but we do not have an update yet available for Windows Phone. However our developers are working hard on providing you with a high quality update soon. Unfortunately, we cannot comment on specifics or give timelines, but do know that we are working on a Windows Phone update.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us. We would be happy to help!

Jami T.".
i don't know why they are yet to release the beta publicly. Its been almost three months since this beta released initially and all those recent updates it got are minor bug fixes. However i can assure you that they won't develop an app for over three months and dump it without releasing it publicly. Its just a matter of when ;). Don't get your hopes up for this week. It may or may not get released.

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Those are just a few and i've tried everything. Removing the app sorts some of the problems out, but after a while they creep back in. I find if i switch my phone off and on most the problems appear from that. Your app might be fine, but you can't say people are exaggerating the problems. I know people that the app wont even load. Just go have a look at the review section on the app and see how many people are having problems with it.

That's the thing: Some are having problems (like you), some are not (like me). But that's why I wouldn't be scared like Jonathan to suggest Windows Phones to friends. Maybe they won't have any problems. That's what I mean with exaggeration: Your individual WhatsApp experiences is not substantial to the Windows Phone experience in general. You KNOW that there will be an update soon. So just warn your friends that there might be issues for a few days.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
there will be an update soon? who guarantees?

Because the private beta has been going on for quite some time. It is said that private betas can only go for as long as 90 days. If this is the case, and my mathematics is correct, worst case scenario is that the update will be released end of July.

Wouter1107

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Wouldn't the 11 of july be a nice date to present 'the new whatsapp'? Together with a new lumia?

I heard that Nokia would be involved in the development of the new Whatsapp?

(I've no sources, just a thought!)

Memitim

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Wouldn't the 11 of july be a nice date to present 'the new whatsapp'? Together with a new lumia?

I heard that Nokia would be involved in the development of the new Whatsapp?

(I've no sources, just a thought!)
Nah and the amber update won't be rolled out to everyone on the same day it's going to take months to get it out to everyone.

/Off to create a thread complaining about not receiving the amber update the first day it's available

David Best

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
is anybody else having problems sending messages to iphone user??? i've noticed that my friends on android get my messages fine but others on iphone seem to lag or not send at all...is it just me or are other getting this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077