WhatsApp Questions and Answers thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrikmore

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Very clever reasoning. The problem is that WP users are very few. It is more likely they had to switch to another platform, that is to say, to another phone.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Very clever reasoning. The problem is that WP users are very few. It is more likely they had to switch to another platform, that is to say, to another phone.

Not all WP users are losing WA, I have WA installed on my Lumia 920.

You are acting like if all WP userbase can't use Whatsapp.

EDIT: Lol with last comments... seriusly, losing Whastapp is not the end of the world, my first Windows Phone was a Lumia 710 and Whastapp was not there.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
but if you have to connect with hundreds of users already in one net...

Do you really need?? what about something called "facebook"? if you need to connect to "hundred of users" and you don't have a facebook account... well...

EDIT: It is funny how some people tend to exagerate things, really... are there people who need to connect with hundred of persons? are you sure Whastapp is the right tool for that?

Dexter505

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I'd rather wake up tomorrow and find everyone using Telegram. Far better dream...

Let's be realistic. That isn't going to happen. Whatsapp has how many users? Is it a half billion? The world population is about 7 billion. How many are smart phone users? Whatsapp is much easier to use than the fb and Skype which requires the user to have an account setup. The only other software I found comparable is viber. I don't want to install all of these different apps people keep mentioning. The world decided that Whatsapp is their favorite messaging app for smartphones. They captured the market by just making it simple. Skype is going to become less popular once Whatsapp introduces video chat.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Not all WP users are losing WA, I have WA installed on my Lumia 920.

You are acting like if all WP userbase can't use Whatsapp.

EDIT: Lol with last comments... seriusly, losing Whastapp is not the end of the world, my first Windows Phone was a Lumia 710 and Whastapp was not there.

You said this only because you have Whatsapp already installed on the 920. Reset it and you will be helpless in contacting your friends as they are all on Whatsapp. Losing Whatsapp is not the end of the world indeed, but it is the END for Windows Phone going forward. Seriously, if Whatsapp is not returning for good, I'm leaving Windows Phone as well. I'm not a fan of any OS but prefer to have an OS which provide the level of comfort which I like.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Some people are blind, and tend to extrapolate the Whatsapp situation with all the ecosystem (and I'm sure we have some trolls here and there).

I'm using Hike, Telegram and Line, and all of them are good apps, all of them works fine, some of them works better than Whatsapp.

If the platform is the issue... How developers as Rudy Huyn have done great apps for Windows Phone, better than iOS and Android versions, without the backup of Facebook or another big company?

The platform is ok, it is not the issue.

But what if NONE of your friends use other alternative of messaging apps?? Hike, Telegram, or Line? They don't even care because their daily messaging app is the one and only Whatsapp.

We are not blaming the platform, but since it is the platform which carries Whatsapp for the user base here, MS need to be responsible too. Why they allow Whatsapp to pull the app off just like that??! I bet if this happen to Android or iOS, the users over there will be screaming away like us. But that will never happen to them because Apple and Google control apps well, unlike MS. And why no time frame giving to us yet till now? Is it going to take a freaking long year? Solving bugs issues or a big revamp? Can't Whatsapp release patches instead of simply pulling the app off the store?

Regardless, MS should be responsible and try to get updates from Whatsapp and relay the updates they have. And if Whatsapp issues are affecting WP8.1, why the WP8 users need to suffer this as well? I don't have any issues with it on my current 1520. This is really giving Windows Phone a very bad impression for new buyers.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Let's be realistic. That isn't going to happen. Whatsapp has how many users? Is it a half billion? The world population is about 7 billion.

You don't say? :grin:

Yeah, that is all obvious. I was replying to someone that made a wish. They wished for WhatsApp to be republished tomorrow. My point was that if we are going to wish for something, wishing for Telegram to replace WhatsApp would be the better option. It was never intended to be a realistic statement, just an idealistic one. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Whatsapp is much easier to use than the fb and Skype which requires the user to have an account setup. The only other software I found comparable is viber.

Then you probably haven't looked at Telegram. It works exactly the same way, just that it is infinitely more private and isn't in the process of being repurposed for advertising.

I don't want to install all of these different apps people keep mentioning. The world decided that Whatsapp is their favorite messaging app for smartphones.

Most smartphone users don't decide what is their favourite. They just use what everyone else is using. Popularity is most often the result of being first to market and marketing. In WhatsApp's case they were just first, and have since achieved critical mass.

Anyway, I'm not disagreeing with you. I understand that you and many others don't want to install anything else but WhatsApp. My point is only that in an ideal world, you and everyone else would. It would instantly solve our WhatsApp problem, and come with the added bonus of shifting all smartphone users onto a technically superior IM platform. Unfortunately, technical superiority rarely wins over popularity.

But that will never happen to them because Apple and Google control apps well, unlike MS.

You are imagining things. The app belongs to the app developer. If the developer wants to pull the app, they have the right to do so, on any platform. MS can do nothing against that. Google can do nothing against that. Apple can do nothing against that.

All of those companies can go begging on hands an knees, pay money, offer help, or do whatever else they want, but it's ultimately up to the app developer to decide.

Last edited:

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
You said this only because you have Whatsapp already installed on the 920. Reset it and you will be helpless in contacting your friends as they are all on Whatsapp. Losing Whatsapp is not the end of the world indeed, but it is the END for Windows Phone going forward. Seriously, if Whatsapp is not returning for good, I'm leaving Windows Phone as well. I'm not a fan of any OS but prefer to have an OS which provide the level of comfort which I like.

You said this because you reset your phone, the same argument, I'm not the only one using Whatsapp in WP.

And losing WA for some days is not the end of the world and losing WA for some days is not the end of the WP. Do you really think Whatsapp will not be available again? I remember something similar with Whatsapp for iPhone, and it was not the end of iOS.

But what if NONE of your friends use other alternative of messaging apps?? Hike, Telegram, or Line? They don't even care because their daily messaging app is the one and only Whatsapp.

Well, bad friends then. It is not really hard to install and use another app and whatsapp in the same device.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
You said this because you reset your phone, the same argument, I'm not the only one using Whatsapp in WP.

Is not the same. You sounds like your phone will never get hang or sending for repair etc?? Then you better pray hard. :)

And losing WA for some days is not the end of the world and losing WA for some days is not the end of the WP. Do you really think Whatsapp will not be available again? I remember something similar with Whatsapp for iPhone, and it was not the end of iOS.

Available again? When? 6 months, 1 year? Any news till now so far? Are you really betting on promises by MS? Where is Flipboard for Windows Phone till now? Instagram is forever on BETA?

Well, bad friends then. It is not really hard to install and use another app and whatsapp in the same device.

Is not that my friends are bad, but you are lucky to have friends who have alternative messaging apps on their phones. Is easy to install, but hard to get others to use the one and only app which you need, while they are still enjoying the whatsapp on their Android / iOS. I think you are missing the point here.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
You are imagining things. The app belongs to the app developer. If the developer wants to pull the app, they have the right to do so, on any platform. MS can do nothing against that. Google can do nothing against that. Apple can do nothing against that.

All of those companies can go begging on hands an knees, pay money, offer help, or do whatever else they want, but it's ultimately up to the app developer to decide.

Really? I'm imagining things? Oh, I have been on Android for years, and I have yet to know about an app went missing for > 10 days and counting. And to make things worse, no words from developers yet when the app is having issue with WP8.1, not the current WP8.0. Perhaps you are right about the rights of pulling the apps, but screwing up things like this can only happen on Windows Phone. Google and Apple will not need to go begging because it will be the developers begging for their apps to be made available on the stores rather.

Dexter505

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
If it is not returned by Sunday I'll have to buy my mom a new phone because she relies on it to communicate with her customers. Outside the USA sending texts isn't free and almost everyone uses whatsapp.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Really? I'm imagining things? Oh, I have been on Android for years, and I have yet to know about an app went missing for > 10 days and counting.

Flappy Bird?

In all seriousness though, yes, I agree something like this wouldn't happen on Android or iOS, or is at least very unlikely to happen for this length of time. That we can agree on. I was just protesting the accusation that MS was at fault for not "controlling apps well". That is most definitely false. That was all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss