WhatsApp Questions and Answers thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Your analogy is flawed. First of all, of course I can't blame the postman for my gf has not writing to me. But if my gf DID write to me (in this case Whatsapp is already been published on the store), and the Postman (MS) did not bother to explain why the letter is not delivered ( app is being taken down), or just because the letter is too big to be inserted into the mailbox ( Whatsapp has troubles with WP8.1, not WP8.0), or when will I be receiving the letter again ( when will Whatsapp be available) but instead he threw it away, then is the post man (MS) fault.
<snipped>
Anyways, you have your views about the matter while I have mine.

The difference is that I actually know my views to be correct in this case. I don't think you are entirely off, but somewhere you're either fundamentally still misunderstanding something, or we are both miscommunicating.

Based on your interpretation of the mail man analogy, you apparently think WA having previously published an app means MS is henceforth responsible for that app, but they aren't (see below).

Based on your interpretation of the mail man analogy, you apparently think it is MS' job to tell consumers why a developer removed their app from the store and tell us when it will be republished. MS can't know that. MS can certainly ask WA and get information, but even then they can't legally pass that information on. WA may promise MS to republish in two weeks, but MS has absolutely no way of guaranteeing that promise is kept. MS can't make promises on WA's behalf, and they shouldn't have to either. That is WA's job. You're expecting the mail man to tell you why your GF hasn't yet sent you your letter and when she will. That is obviously absurd. Your expectations of MS are no different. It doesn't work that way.

You also keep bringing up the Flappy Bird example, as if the developer deciding to permanently remove that app is in any way different from the developer temporarily removing the app. There is no difference. For how long a developer wants to remove an app is completely irrelevant. It doesn't make MS any more or less responsible for anything related to the app. MS may have access to the previously published version of WA, but they are not legally allowed to make that available through the store if the developer unpublished it. If that is what you want MS to do, you are asking them to break intellectual property laws. MS isn't legally allowed to distribute an app that doesn't belong to them, if the developer doesn't want them to. Get it?

Anyway, I'll leave it at that. If that isn't getting through I don't know what will. Just to be clear, I'm not saying MS is completely innocent here. I have no idea to what extent MS may or may not have contributed to WA's decision to unpublished the app. All I'm saying that the choice of unpublishing the app is WA's and MS can't legally distribute any version of WA during that time. Furthermore, MS can't (nor should they) play the role of WA's public relations department. Only WA can do that.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I think he may have been joking mate. But the gist of his point is most people won't change their messenger app just for a handful of people. Which is true as far as I'm aware.

I agree, but I also think that is a slight misrepresentation of the situation. Nobody would ask anyone to change their messenger app. Just add one to their selection.

Amost all of us already have at least Skype, SMS, WhatsApp, and Facebook apps on our devices that we use as communications channels. Is it that unreasonable to suggest people also install Telegram? Nobody has to sacrifice anything. It's just adding another option, and it's an option that makes sense for everyone on all platforms, because it has advantages over WhatsApp on all platforms. It's not just an alternative to WhatsApp that does the same thing. That is something people should want regardless of the situation of WhatsApp on WP. That is my take anyway. :wink:

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I agree, but I also think that is a slight misrepresentation of the situation. Nobody would ask anyone to change their messenger app. Just add one to their selection.

Amost all of us already have at least Skype, SMS, WhatsApp, and Facebook apps on our devices that we use as communications channels. Is it that unreasonable to suggest people also install Telegram? Nobody has to sacrifice anything. It's just adding another option, and it's an option that makes sense for everyone on all platforms, because it has advantages over WhatsApp on all platforms. It's not just an alternative to WhatsApp that does the same thing. That is something people should want regardless of the situation of WhatsApp on WP. That is my take anyway. :wink:

Yeah that I agree with. Though I don't have WhatsApp myself (was available when I got my Nokia but I didn't want to install it), I'm still going to make my point. Having all the different messenger apps could become confusing to the user (what contacts are on what apps), and that is why it may feel like they have to change. Me personally, I'd rather have all my friends on BBM when it releases for WP. Simple, and also a great way to get people to talk to me from the public figure side of my work (radio and game streaming) through the use of BBM Channels.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
And since WA have no acknowledgements at all regarding the WP version situation anywhere on their website, Facebook and Twitter feeds, their PR leaves a lot to be desired. Only they have control over that.

swapnil wajpe

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Well, excuse me if I dont waste 500 dollars on a new phone just to talk to a "friend", if that "friend" is not willing to download just another free messenger to talk to me..

You guys need to stop ranting and start thinking instead...

Its not about old WP users switching to other OS, its about the new ones that are supposed to be added. With the release of 8.1, 630 and the upcoming 930, believe me this missing one single app is enough to deviate potential buyers to other platform, they don't care about cortana or tile background or file manager, the droid they buy instead of WP will do it better. They only care if their regular used app is present on the OS they are going to buy. 3 friends of mine who bought 630, had to revert back to their Symbian and Android phone cause of this debacle, now their shiny new devices are eating dust cause there is no whatsapp.

Dexter505

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Well, excuse me if I dont waste 500 dollars on a new phone just to talk to a "friend", if that "friend" is not willing to download just another free messenger to talk to me..

You guys need to stop ranting and start thinking instead...

I see the moto g cost just 179.00 and I just bought the lumia 925 for 199 for someone. I wish I could go back in time.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

patrikmore

May 28, 2014
Visit site
No news issued by big companies, so far, I mean in the latest days.

So, as an act of protest, I uninstalled Skype on my windows phone. :wink:

WP_290

May 25, 2014
Visit site
still waiting...

I think the people who are saying just intall another app are not seeing the conmplete picture. Translate the situation to any other analogy of your preference..

I pay cable to watch HBO, news, discovery and fox....If suddenly my cable provider tell me, HBO is not available, watch other thing instead. You certainly will find another thing in TV at the time, but at the end its not the same and you probably will look for other providers. Probably is not your cable provider fault, but it doesn't change the situation. You dont have HBO and you can't see your show like all your friends. You are not receiving the same experience.

Anyway, my question, somebody is using the beta version? IIt is in the store, but I am not part of the beta testers group.
Could you tell us what new features have the beta?

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I posted this in the comments section for the latest article about this, but I'll post it here too.
I wonder what MS and WhatsApp "working together" means. Can WP Central do a little journalism and find out? I mean, we could read that answer from MS ourselves on their message board. It's times like these that news sites could be valuable as something other than just link aggregators.

What say you, WPC, ready to step up to the plate and try to find out what's going on here? Without being afraid of losing "access"?

I have a feeling WPC is afraid of hurting someone's feelings (someone at MS) that they don't dare asking any meaningful questions. This is a very interesting situation, and all WPC does so far is regurgitate standard responses. Very disappointing.

chetan93

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand the logic behind spending so much time and resources on rectifying the problem for wp8 when wp8.1 is just round the corner ... :/

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand the logic behind spending so much time and resources on rectifying the problem for wp8 when wp8.1 is just round the corner ... :/

Some (including Belfiore) suggest WhatsApp was removed due to a notification bug specific to WP8.0 (WPC source)

Some suggest the exact opposite, namely that WhatsApp was removed due to "general brokenness" on WP8.1 (WPC source) but is fully functional on WP8.0.

I have one device with WP8.1 and one with WP8.0 and I can't find anything wrong with either. Go figure...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Some (including Belfiore) suggest WhatsApp was removed due to a notification bug specific to WP8.0 (WPC source)

Some suggest the exact opposite, namely that WhatsApp was removed due to "general brokenness" on WP8.1 (WPC source) but is fully functional on WP8.0.

I have one device with WP8.1 and one with WP8.0 and I can't find anything wrong with either. Go figure...

I've never had issues with WhatsApp on WP7.5/7.8/8.0/8.1.

Maybe I was just lucky, but my notifications always worked, and I haven't had battery issues. I am always on 4G LTE or WiFi though. Perhaps there are problems with slow gprs networks.

swapnil wajpe

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
yhuzapap.png

I use whatsapp way more than baconit, hike and tapatalk, but I observed that the battery usage app may be only shows the battery usage of the last hour or so and not the entire lifetime. So for example if I play a game for maximum amount of time in past hour, it will come at the top and since people use whatsapp more regularly, I think that's why it always shows at the top and it may give an impression that whatsapp uses more battery.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
but I observed that the battery usage app may be only shows the battery usage of the last hour or so and not the entire lifetime.

Is that seriously how it works? I never paid that much attention to it. That makes it barely more than useless. It should track battery usage since the last full charge. Or lifetime, with the option to clear it.

swapnil wajpe

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Is that seriously how it works?

That's what I think, I am not entirely sure. May be you can do some research on your own. But this is what I observed till now. After that observation, the line on the top "Recent Battery Usage" started to make a lot more sense. Specially the word "Recent".

Edit: - I woke up an hour ago and used tapatalk to reply here and browse some more topics and voila here you go
uzuzujur.png

Last edited:

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
The difference is that I actually know my views to be correct in this case. I don't think you are entirely off, but somewhere you're either fundamentally still misunderstanding something, or we are both miscommunicating.

Based on your interpretation of the mail man analogy, you apparently think WA having previously published an app means MS is henceforth responsible for that app, but they aren't (see below).

Based on your interpretation of the mail man analogy, you apparently think it is MS' job to tell consumers why a developer removed their app from the store and tell us when it will be republished. MS can't know that. MS can certainly ask WA and get information, but even then they can't legally pass that information on. WA may promise MS to republish in two weeks, but MS has absolutely no way of guaranteeing that promise is kept. MS can't make promises on WA's behalf, and they shouldn't have to either. That is WA's job. You're expecting the mail man to tell you why your GF hasn't yet sent you your letter and when she will. That is obviously absurd. Your expectations of MS are no different. It doesn't work that way.

Well, if Whatsapp can't keep the promised deadline, is THEIR fault totally then! At least that shows that MS cares and we know an approx deadline. Better than hanging up dry now, don't you agree?

You also keep bringing up the Flappy Bird example, as if the developer deciding to permanently remove that app is in any way different from the developer temporarily removing the app. There is no difference. For how long a developer wants to remove an app is completely irrelevant. It doesn't make MS any more or less responsible for anything related to the app. MS may have access to the previously published version of WA, but they are not legally allowed to make that available through the store if the developer unpublished it. If that is what you want MS to do, you are asking them to break intellectual property laws. MS isn't legally allowed to distribute an app that doesn't belong to them, if the developer doesn't want them to. Get it?

Anyway, I'll leave it at that. If that isn't getting through I don't know what will. Just to be clear, I'm not saying MS is completely innocent here. I have no idea to what extent MS may or may not have contributed to WA's decision to unpublished the app. All I'm saying that the choice of unpublishing the app is WA's and MS can't legally distribute any version of WA during that time. Furthermore, MS can't (nor should they) play the role of WA's public relations department. Only WA can do that.

Nope. I'm not the one who brought up Flappy Bird, is you who talked about it in the first place. Now, why MS allowed Whatsapp to get removed entirely, even for users who have already installed previously and trying to reinstall now? The latest news is that the bug is caused of the GDR3. And it has been 6 months, MS and Whatsapp decided to pull the entire thing off, like only now? How did MS even approved Whatsapp to be published in the first place for all the quality checks for GDR3?? Does it means that the whole Windows Phone platform is so lousy that Whatsapp need to be custom made in order to work properly again? And 8.1 is just around the corner, if Whatsapp has been designed for 8.1, why can't they leave the app there till 8.1? Is entirely MS fault if you look at the saga from the very beginning. Android and iOS versions are working fine, why should we blame Whatsapp??

Anyways, like I said before, the milk is spilled. No point arguing anymore. The damages are already done. People are just going to be disappointed with MS and WP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6