[Official] Skype on WP Thread

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: Skype Update! 3/19/13

Ok, my joy has been short-lived. My phone has crashed twice in the last hour, and after 2 soft resets Skype doesn't give notifications anymore... Gonna try a reinstall of skype and see if it works again.

msualum

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site

uh I get video calls on LTE no problem...

ok - then I need to go to Skype school. I pull up a contact and when I am on WiFi and they are on WiFi the video icon is there and functional. Otherwise it may just be the message icon or the phone icon that is accessible (when on 4G or LTE). I have no Skype credits and don't intend this for anything but video call via my cell phone to another cell phone.

MacDaMachine

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

ok - then I need to go to Skype school. I pull up a contact and when I am on WiFi and they are on WiFi the video icon is there and functional. Otherwise it may just be the message icon or the phone icon that is accessible (when on 4G or LTE). I have no Skype credits and don't intend this for anything but video call via my cell phone to another cell phone.

No idea. I can test with you if ya want

jomargon

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site

My phone got hotter than usual when idle after giving Skype another try. Then phone froze after leaving it idle for around 2 hours. Not sure if it's caused by Skype but I uninstalled it once again.

fogmod

May 9, 2012
Visit site

Got a problem, when making a video call to my girlfriend on her Nokia it works but when trying to make a video call to my friend on his IP4s the video call symbol doesn't work, only voice calls. I tried both on 3G and WiFi.

finiterex

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
So does anyone else wonder why, unlike the Skype desktop app, the WP8 Skype app doesn't also integrate Facebook Messenger?

It's nice to see the People Hub integration is now working but it does beg the question why still have contact functionality in the Skype app? Further, and in particular, the ability to add numbers... Surely all the contact functionality should be handed off to the People Hub including Skype Directory lookup!

Call History as well, why not push this out into the dialler history?

Finally, surely Skype messaging should be integrated with the Message Hub?

So... Long story short... Why oh why Microsoft have you not "baked" Skype functionality into the OS, or alternately built the app so it fully integrates?

This would give WP8 that full integration that we were promised and drive people further into the MS ecosystem.. To coin the MS phrase of 2012/2013 "the power's in the integration"!

While we're talking integration... Skydrive...

1. Office integration - 80% there... Why cant we save in subfolders or create new folders while in office?

2. Photo integration - 80% there... Why cant we then use the photos on skydrive for lock screen, email/message attachments, post to Facebook etc without first saving to phone? Come on now!

3. Video integration - 20% there... Should work same as photos

4. Music integration... Err why cant we use music stored on Skydrive on our phones at all? Now REALLY come on!

I know there are plenty of "bugs and fixes needed in next version" threads but haven't found a functionality one yet so interested to here what people have to say.

Would also love to see a monthly release cycle for "dot" upgrades to address bugs and quarterly for functionality.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Skype (lack of) integration

i believe MS will do it in future updates...Messenger just got discontinued and they are still in a transition process...
once they get the process done, who knows? they might do it!

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site

I am pretty sure all this is on it's way. WP8 is very new and it will take time to get to that point.

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site

Finally got a chance to try a video call. Got the call even though Skype was closed. Video quality is vastly improved. Links sent pop up in a circle and are ckickable. Couple bugs I found.

1. After clicking a link sent while on video once I go back into Skype all I can see is my self. I have to tap the windows key and then back into Skype to get the video back.

2. Battery drain was crazy, could be due to a rouge process, will test more.

BlazV

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site

anyone noticed any shorter battery lifetime? How is with data usage? I mean, since it doesnt run in the backround there should not be any battery draining or data usage (except for push notifications?) ?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
No battery drain here. Only battery hog in this system is now Whatsapp. Its been 19 hours on standyby with occasional texts, WPC browsing, Skype IMs - no whatsapp installed. I have 79% remaining.

Skype doesn't ping your phone for push. It apparently stays awake in the cloud and checks your notifications in the cloud. If it finds you a notification, only then the cloud pushed notification and when you tap that notification or Skype tile, that's when you wake it up on phone. Very neat!

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

No battery drain here. Only battery hog in this system is now Whatsapp. Its been 19 hours on standyby with occasional texts, WPC browsing, Skype IMs - no whatsapp installed. I have 79% remaining.

Skype doesn't ping your phone for push. It apparently stays awake in the cloud and checks your notifications in the cloud. If it finds you a notification, only then the cloud pushed notification and when you tap that notification or Skype tile, that's when you wake it up on phone. Very neat!

You on WiFi or network? I bought the Lumia 920 a couple weeks ago, but returned it after a couple days due to poor battery life. I honestly miss the phone, but am a little skeptical about trying another.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

You on WiFi or network? I bought the Lumia 920 a couple weeks ago, but returned it after a couple days due to poor battery life. I honestly miss the phone, but am a little skeptical about trying another.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

I'm on 3G. I hardly do WiFi. Only when I have a video call or multiplayer online games like Asphalt 7.

The battery issues are related to software i.e OS and integration of certain apps that will eventually fix. If you like the hardware and are patient for a fix, WP8 is a good choice! However, I won't promise it to be fixed when you wake up tomorrow. I'm very patient. Have waited for necessary fixes since 2010 and seen the platform grow slowly but in a very reassuring way.

njnAbat

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site

Guys,is Skype being active in the background causing high data usage ? I had this problem and uninstalled it as I have only 2GB monthly plan..it was consuming around 30 MB per day even though I didnt make any calls or messages from it..

migueli2

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

Guys,is Skype being active in the background causing high data usage ? I had this problem and uninstalled it as I have only 2GB monthly plan..it was consuming around 30 MB per day even though I didnt make any calls or messages from it..

wasn't that the tiles issue that has been already fixed?

njnAbat

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site

wasn't that the tiles issue that has been already fixed?

I last updated it 3 weeks back but still the data consumption was so high..so uninstalled as i felt it might be due to preview version..wanna give it a try again if this is already fixed..

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

I last updated it 3 weeks back but still the data consumption was so high..so uninstalled as i felt it might be due to preview version..wanna give it a try again if this is already fixed..

No it doesn't use data when in background. You are online in the cloud, not on your phone. Only uses data if you get plenty of messages or calls being pinged to your Skype while you think its in background. That wakes up Skype and the cloud off-loads these messages to your phone i.e. phone downloads.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion