[Official] Skype on WP Thread

Kunalya

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: Skype Update! 3/19/13

What is the use of Skype on windows phone like lumia 520, no front facing camera for video calling... so what skype benefit to us.

TheSparta

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
why is skype still built using silverlight and built for windows phone 8..i think its just a compatible app for 8.1...shouldn't they(as it is bought by microsoft) be leading the other devs by building the app with 8.1 and supporting fast resume instead of silverlight... Its dead slow right now and battery hogging on my lumia 920.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Fast Resume is something which is grossly misinterpreted by tech bloggers and windows phone community in general. Fast Resume isn't new to Windows Phone 8.1. It was present in Windows Phone 8 as well.
What Fast resume does is that it makes task switching faster. When you leave an app using back/home button, the app gets suspended in the background. You can resume it using task switcher(long pressing back button). But, traditionally, if you try to open that same suspended app through its tile on start screen/app tray, it would kill the suspended process and restarts the app.
With Fast Resume, you can resume to that suspended state from anywhere. By using task switcher or taping tile on start screen/app tray etc. It will resume app from that suspended state instead of restarting it. IT DOES NOT MAKE IT ANY FASTER.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/jj735579(v=vs.105).aspx

And btw, Skype already supports Fast Resume.

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/flow/item/19908_Skype_gets_Cortana_integration.php

The problem with resuming screens and slow speeds in WP8.1 is probably due to the fact that Microsoft changed Memory allocation setup in WP8.1. Up until WP8, every app would be allocated a specific amount of memory irrespective of how much the app need it and in most cases the amount of memory allocated would increase the amount of memory required.
In WP8.1, the memory allocated is nearly identical to the amount the app actually requires.
What this means is that there will be more memory available, so, more apps can stay suspended in background.

So, how does it affect speed? Well, when you open an app, it needs lots of memory to render it at first. I'm guessing is that, in WP8, the apps would have excess memory allocated to them so switching between them was faster because they didn't need extra memory required for rendering. But, with WP8.1, the apps have the exact memory allocated to them and when you switch between them, it takes time to use extra memory to render it just like you open an app for first time.

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/20073_Windows_Phone_81_appsmultitask.php

I'm no technical person btw. And my attempts at explaining these slow speeds with 8.1 should be taken with as much grain of salt as self proclaimed tech bloggers' articles about technical stuff.
Maybe, @a5cent would like to make a dedicated thread on this topic and explain to us noobs about what is actually happening here.

CardozoRT

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi

Anyone having issues in Skype? Mine is super slow at login, doesn't show any contacts, nor my picture or credit, and it crashes a lot and force closes.

I'm on Lumia 1520.

Edit: So it seems that the issues are only in 3G\4G network. Working good in Wi-Fi.

Cheers 🍻

Last edited:

robnhl

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying out Skype for, basically, the first time. I've setup accounts for my family members and successfully added them as contacts. All accounts have contract pictures. I can see the contact pictures when I sign in on the desktop but in the WP (or Android) client I just get blue placeholders where the pics should be. Any reason for this behavior?

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying out Skype for, basically, the first time. I've setup accounts for my family members and successfully added them as contacts. All accounts have contract pictures. I can see the contact pictures when I sign in on the desktop but in the WP (or Android) client I just get blue placeholders where the pics should be. Any reason for this behavior?

Do the skype names show up under the contact names in the people hub or as separate skype usernames? I think I had to manually link some of my contacts

robnhl

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Do the skype names show up under the contact names in the people hub or as separate skype usernames? I think I had to manually link some of my contacts

I linked the contracts but that made no difference . I would expect that their Skype pictures would show. And maybe their names, not something like live:Bo.diddley. Not impressed so far.

Phonios

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Since a few weeks I cannot start Skype anymore. It started already before the last update (which I received). The App doesn't respond at all, although the App isn't greyed out like Whatsapp sometimes. I tried reinstalling the app multiple times but no success so far.

Does anyone else have the same problem and hopefully a solution?

Phone is a HTC 8X with the newest Dev Preview.

Thanks

FourTonMantis

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I have a weird problem with Skype - EVERY time I download something from Windows Store an unread Skype notification appears on my lockscreen (and glance). Opening Skype I see that there is no ANY unread message and I've selected the "mark all as read" option multiple times, but the notification appears again next time I download an app from the store or an app updates automatically.
The problem returns even after phone has been reset to factory settings multiple times and reinstalled using Nokia Recovery Tool.
Lumia 820, WP 8.1.1 Dev Preview - latest version, Skype is also updated to latest version (but the problem started at least 7-8 months ago).

FourTonMantis

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
So at least I'm not alone in this. Unfortunately we still don't have solution about the problem, Skype support on twitter sent me to their forums and no one helps there too.

David Feldhaus

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Is it impossible to delete a phone number contact created within the Skype app on WP8.1? I simply cannot figure out how to do this! Can't delete it in the app or through the People Hub.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos