12-26-2013 03:05 PM
270 1234 ...
tools
    looking forward to it!
    04-03-2013 02:47 AM
    How did this get placed as a 'sticky' thread???
    04-03-2013 07:10 AM
    And here comes all the "It's not official" / "I can't view pictures" / "I can't post to facebook" etc rant threads
    04-03-2013 07:36 AM
    It will get shut down before it gains any kind of traction. Nice attempt that will hopefully show fb turds that instagram is needed on WP.
    04-03-2013 07:46 AM
    How did this get placed as a 'sticky' thread???
    A mod made a new thread after I made mine in the morning and stuck it yesterday afternoon
    04-03-2013 08:12 AM
    A mod made a new thread after I made mine in the morning and stuck it yesterday afternoon
    The threads were actually merged and then the one merged thread was stuck. This means that I got there just before you. But it is no big deal. We now have a sticky for all instagraph talk.
    rdubmu likes this.
    04-03-2013 08:17 AM
    No they didn't. They mentioned the azure ecosystem. And it's shown in the movie how it works. And from there anyone can make this educated guess. And there are only 2 ways to solve the instagram upload. Reverse engineer the android app or run the app in a virtual machine. They went for the second approach because if they would had reverse engineered the android app the upload would have been directly from the app and there would have been no need for a reroute through a server.
    I came to the same conclusion, a bunch of VMs running the official Instagram app. Completely legal and somewhat smart way of overcoming the upload problem if you ask me. Will be very difficult for instagram to block other than the IP addresses the servers are on and that can be easily changed.
    04-03-2013 09:40 AM
    I came to the same conclusion, a bunch of VMs running the official Instagram app. Completely legal and somewhat smart way of overcoming the upload problem if you ask me. Will be very difficult for instagram to block other than the IP addresses the servers are on and that can be easily changed.
    The easiest solution for Instagram it's probably to contact Microsoft and ask to remove the app from the Marketplace.
    04-03-2013 10:35 AM
    Nothing against it, just wondering who decides what topics get stickied. There are a few others I like and think should be stickies, like

forums.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-apps/215564-loving-proshot-camera-app.html
    or
    forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/201573-trying-straight-talk-w-my-920-a.html

Mods?
    04-03-2013 10:43 AM
    The easiest solution for Instagram it's probably to contact Microsoft and ask to remove the app from the Marketplace.
    If it is all legal, why would MS remove it? They wouldn't (I expect), and shouldn't.

If it is illegal, then it should not be there in the first place, whether Instagram complains or not.
    04-03-2013 10:46 AM
    Nothing against it, just wondering who decides what topics get stickied. There are a few others I like and think should be stickies, like

forums.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-apps/215564-loving-proshot-camera-app.html
    or
    forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/201573-trying-straight-talk-w-my-920-a.html

Mods?
    Yeah. Mods decide. We do have guidelines on what can and can't be stickied, however we work together.
    04-03-2013 11:04 AM
    Will be very difficult for instagram to block other than the IP addresses the servers are on and that can be easily changed.
    its very easy to block, very easy to change the address for the server, and its very easy for instagram to block that, etc...

rinse repeat

it may work, but expect lots of interruptions and problems
    04-03-2013 12:26 PM
    I think instagram just gives up and gives us an official app instead of constantly playing cat and mouse with these devs. There is an enormous pent up demand for this in WP, no point in fighting it since this is going to probably be the top app on the platform when it comes out.
    04-03-2013 01:47 PM
    its very easy to block, very easy to change the address for the server, and its very easy for instagram to block that, etc...

rinse repeat

it may work, but expect lots of interruptions and problems
    I'm not sure is that easy to escape the ban. Using a virtual machine means they either have to host the server themselves(a lot of headaches) and have a fixed ip so easily banned. They chose to go with azure(they could have chose Amazon services too) but you only have so many windows azure ips and I believe you can find them all easily and block them all. So they can't just change ip and be done with it.

The solution is truly ingenious and I honestly don't believe instagram will block anything. What I worry about are the monthly costs. Depending on the number of users and their complains it may get out of hand.

Kudos for them for having the courage to make it happened and for the solution they chose. I don't see legal difficulties or technical issues. But I do see a monetization problem. So in the end they might not even break even in development and maintenance costs.

Unfortunately people do not have a need for uploading pictures to instagram. What they want is instragram branded app and nothing else will be good for them. I hope to not go for add supported route and take a paid approach get the necessary profits and then instagram brings the official app.

This is instagram most successful "defense strategy" against such attempts make it not economically viable for 3rd party to use their system without signing with them.
    04-03-2013 02:08 PM
    [...]
    Unfortunately people do not have a need for uploading pictures to instagram. What they want is instragram branded app and nothing else will be good for them. I hope to not go for add supported route and take a paid approach get the necessary profits and then instagram brings the official app.
    [...]
    True, people do want the branded app, but if Instagraph has approximately the same functionality as an official app, I don't think it will matter that much. Metrotube appears to be quite popular, for example.

Of course, if Instagraph turns out to be a hopelessly unreliable hack or is sorely lacking features, that is a different matter.
    04-03-2013 02:51 PM
    While it's simply a rumor, I have a source who heard the official Instagram app may drop this month, conceivably before instagraph launches. If so, the developers of this app will be disappointed because it would have been a complete waste of their time.
    Bee Mon and Ranak Mann like this.
    04-03-2013 03:32 PM
    We already now that it will lack many of the features, they show that in the demo vid
    04-03-2013 03:32 PM
    While it's simply a rumor, I have a source who heard the official Instagram app may drop this month, conceivably before instagraph launches. If so, the developers of this app will be disappointed because it would have been a complete waste of their time.
    Instagraph could be out by tomorrow, the real app who knows but it is being made for sure with all of the rumors and posts by WPCentral and the Verge
    04-03-2013 03:50 PM
    Well that leaker on twitter, anontechleaks, a while ago said that the official Instagram should be coming next month, along with Temple Run 2, wouldnt surprise me if his screenshots were fake though
    But if you can filter and upload with Instagraph ill be happy
    04-03-2013 03:51 PM
    Instagraph could be out by tomorrow, the real app who knows but it is being made for sure with all of the rumors and posts by WPCentral and the Verge

The real app could come out tonight.

My point is, it's clear that instagram app is coming. If so, I imagine they will ask Microsoft to not allow instagraph into the marketplace. While it may technically be a "legal" workaround, MS will side with Instagram and pull it from the marketplace if asked.
    04-03-2013 03:53 PM
    The real app could come out tonight.

My point is, it's clear that instagram app is coming. If so, I imagine they will ask Microsoft to not allow instagraph into the marketplace. While it may technically be a "legal" workaround, MS will side with Instagram and pull it from the marketplace if asked.
    Why would instagram bother to do anything about instagraph? instagraph can't be free and not add supported, it has costed money and it's operations will cost monthly fees. So instagraph is not a problem for istagram not even a nuisance. And MS has some stated rule about app submission it does not bring down apps just because someone says so.
    04-03-2013 07:52 PM
    I'm not sure how this is an illegal way to submit pictures to Instagram. Anyone tried Bluestacks before?

I find it quite funny and ironic that their API remains restricted because they don't want "low res pictures". Clearly they didn't realize what Android is.
    eduardopl and rdubmu like this.
    04-04-2013 12:04 AM
    I find it quite funny and ironic that their API remains restricted because they don't want "low res pictures". Clearly they didn't realize what Android is.
    Of course this is not the reason but it sounds good when you put it that way.
    If given access to upload api would you make that api request with data that are usefull to instagram? Like what other apps are running in the background, contacts from the phone, gps location or other data that can be mined from the phone? Stating that you don't want to allow access because you want to keep up with quality of the photos makes me laugh. Once you apply a filter to the photo what quality are we talking about? Because that clearly is not an real life photo anymore.

Instagram being free for the user and making money is not about your photos anymore. Apply a filter to the photo and it's useless to them. So they need additional data about you to be able to make a profit. Likes on other people photos also won't tell much about you so cant be of much value for advertisement purposes. So for them the android platform is heaven with wp8 being more like a ****.

If you look at the permissions for the app in the google play you have a glimpse at what the real purpose of instagram is. And keep in mind that ios does not implement a permission list so some data from ios can be retrieved without you even knowing about that.

if wp8 was more open like android I'm sure that by now we would have an instagram on the platform.
    04-04-2013 05:17 AM
    ahh I hope instagraph is in the store soon! I've been checking all day everyday since it was certified!
    04-04-2013 12:29 PM
    dang when is it comming out. i keep checking all day long lol :p
    04-04-2013 05:17 PM
270 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD