ProShot vs Wikipedia

AskaLangly

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Okay, so I wonder how many of you have the WPCentral app installed on your phone (and voted for it earlier), when you all are trying to ask me why rather use an app instead of the site itself.
Such effin' hypocrites, I tell ya.

kevinschmitt

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
You could at least respect the developer's work...
This kind of attitude does't make me want to vote for ProShot even if it's a great app.

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so I wonder how many of you have the WPCentral app installed on your phone (and voted for it earlier), when you all are trying to ask me why rather use an app instead of the site itself.
Such effin' hypocrites, I tell ya.

I have the WPCentral app installed, but you cant compare Wikipedia to WPCentral. WPCentral (like many other pages) simply sucks on mobile IE, because the Forum experience is not the same as wpcentral.com on the desktop. Furthermore is it simply easier to open links in articles, e.g. links to the app store.

But it's interesting how you keep trying to explain the benefits of the Wikipedia app by talking about the benefits of the wpcentral app. Now go play your xbox games and dont try to talk about an app you didnt even understand (filter app lol).

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
You could at least respect the developer's work...
This kind of attitude does't make me want to vote for ProShot even if it's a great app.

Same goes to you, if you make your decision dependent on our comments/attitudes. The contest is about the app, its value to the platform and the efforts behind it, and not about the comments in this thread.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Definitely not what I wanted, I think everyone knows that both apps are really awesome, and the Wikipedia app is way better than the webpage. I basically created this to get an overview of the users meaning, because jaxbot (Windowsphonehacker) lost some challenge by Nokia to a totally useless app that had just faked votes.

kevinschmitt

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Same goes to you, if you make your decision dependent on our comments/attitudes. The contest is about the app, its value to the platform and the efforts behind it, and not about the comments in this thread.

I'm sorry, i'm not interested in talking with you.
I voted before seeing this thread, it was just a way to say that I don't regret having voted for Wikipedia

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
because jaxbot (Windowsphonehacker) lost some challenge by Nokia to a totally useless app that had just faked votes.

Can you please explain this any further?

BTW: Wikipedia got updated and now links to the voting page with a request to vote for Wikipedia. Dont want to say sth against it, but it might explain why Wikipedia is leading the race. Anyways, both apps are awesome and Wikipedia shows that WP apps are simply more beautiful than apps on other platforms.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

BTW: Wikipedia got updated and now links to the voting page with a request to vote for Wikipedia. Dont want to say sth against it, but it might explain why Wikipedia is leading the race. Anyways, both apps are awesome and Wikipedia shows that WP apps are simply more beautiful than apps on other platforms.

That doesn't surprise me. Wikipedia is always either asking for votes or asking for money.

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
That doesn't surprise me. Wikipedia is always either asking for votes or asking for money.

No, no. I think you got that wrong. The Wikipedia app got updated and the developer of the app is asking for votes, NOT Wikipedia aka the Wikimedia foundation.

And I dont think it is inappropriate to ask for donations if you offer something that valuable like Wikipedia. They're not working with ads or something (and are responsible for all my studies lol)

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

sure, here's the (old) information about the competition. Jaxbot's plan to get himself a WP8: Vote for me! [UPDATE!] - Windows Phone Hacker
1st prize won a 920, and since he has no WP8 device it would've been great for him and for users. But some photo editing software won, and it really wasn't good. It wasn't Facebook, so probably he (or someone for him) made a script with reconnect, you can even buy 10000 solved captchas for like 10$ or so.. but they didn't care, so jaxbot lost.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
aww come on guys
vote PROSHOT

Yeah, let's vote ProShot - it gives some extra for Lumia and WP - YOU use it or not, but it is there for YOU, if YOU ever like to try ... and by winning, we might see even better ProShot soon ...

If I remember right, he promised to consider a short "free install" promo, if ProShot will win (laugh) ... so it is a good reason too :p

By the way, Wikipedia apps is nice one too, but it is just Wikipedia ... that apps does not make your cp any better ...

pillswoj

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Can't vote for ProShot as it does not work on my Ativ S and I would suggest that the "top" app needs to work on all WP8 devices.

RM_846

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Voted for ProShot, great apps like this don't come often.
Those who commented that this is some photo filtering app are stupid. Please at least try the app before u speak.

KorJax

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
It's sad, I can't believe MS honestly thought having it so only one app can win when you split the voting off into "paid" and "free" categories would ever be fair.

Of course wikipedia is going to win even if it would be stupid for MS to actually use that app as a main selling point for their phones. Why? Because it's free! The free app is garunteed to win this competition because anyone can download it and use it without having to do anything which means it's gonna get more votes by default simply because the amount of people who use it is much higher. People don't vote for things based on a fair and critical analysis of both things, they just go "OH I GOT THAT APP LOL IMMA GONNA VOTE FOR IT!!". And being that Wikipedia is free, and as such has a much larger "download base", it is garunteed victory simply because more people use the app when there is no barrier to entry.

Not saying the wikipedia app sucks. It's a great app, but for it to be the highlight app for Windows Phone 8's advertising? Are you kidding me? If anyone were to see an MS ad that touts this wikipedia app they would laugh and assume MS is grasping for straws. You can get wikipedia on ANY DEVICE and there's tons of great apps for both iOS and Android that work great just like this one. You can visit wikipedia itself from any browser, you don't even need the app at all, it's just nice fluff to have. Why are we voting for an app that is basically "nice" but doesn't accomplish anything that I can't already do on my phone without it, or can easily do on any other phone?

ProShot is by far the best app for this contest. It's actually unique to WP8, you can't just visit a website to get the same thing it offers, it takes advantage of one of Windows Phone 8's greatest strengths (excellent cameras on many devices plus dedicated hardware button for said cameras), it gets constnatly updated with new features from a developer that is always in-touch with the community here, and most importantly it does something no other app for any other phone does. It truely is a flagship-app in every sense of the word.

Or you know, we could just vote for wikipedia. Something that everyone has on every device ever, and you can just visit a website to get the same exact experience that the app offers. Great! I can't wait to get a Windows Phone now!!

Honestly if I were MS I'd say there is one winner for paid and one winner for free. That way both apps get highlighted, not just one, and both apps "win" because there is no way that it's fair to pitch a free app against a paid app when the free app will always have a higher user base (because its free). If they honestly make it so proshot gets no mention in any advertising after how far they've gotten, when it honestly is the one app that makes WP8 stand out for me, ESPECAILLY in favor of just showing something you can get by visiting a website on any device or computer, then MS is truely shooting themselves in the foot with a massive wasted opportunity.

Or maybe Nokia should just step in and advertise proshot if MS fails to do so.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Using Facebook to pick a featured app was a terrible idea in the first place. Go ahead and have a contest; give some money to the Final Four entrants; give away a bunch of phones to voters; hype it up. But the marketing decisions should rest with MS.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I hope both finalists are featured. Wikipedia is a really nice app, and one that can be compared directly iOS and Android counterparts to say "sure, you have Wikipedia on your iPhone, but look at how sweet a WP8 app can be."

And ProShot is a great example of a unique app that really enriches and expands an already great WP8 experience. Plus, it is an "aspirational" app for everyone with a camera phone who thinks they're a great photographer (i.e. just about everyone who uses Facebook or Instagram).

So feature both for a one-two punch that says WP8 can not only deliver amazing versions of apps you already love, but deliver experiences that can take you above and beyond.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786