Facebook : features, discussions, rants, issues, solutions

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I hope they gonna fix facebook integration aswell, since it always shows a green dot near your name instead of mobile icon.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Facebook Beta Version 5.0.1.2 updated, the app seems very smooth, fast and well laid out. Meto style is nice, flip left or right for different menus, shake your phone or pull down on the main screen news to refresh. It's only in beta but let's hope to see it in the store soon.
What does anyone else think?

Last edited:

schlubadub

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't get the "lack of market share" argument. Even with a smaller share you are still talking about millions of users. Putting an official app out shouldn't be that big of a deal. You are talking about a couple dudes sitting at a computer writing code and then once it gets writing, it is all down hill from there. Work on bug fixes and pending updates. A few guys to serve a couple million customers. And some say that isn't smart business.

It's about return on investment... if the code-base isn't easily ported to WP then it can take a few months to do. If it's an 'official app' then you'll have 1 or more project managers, graphic and UI designers, coders, testers etc. Even if you had a tiny team of 5 people after only 1 month you could've easily spent $10,000-20,000. If it takes a few months then you could be easily be $100,000+. Then you've got ongoing support costs to factor in. It also means they can't work on other projects at the same time... which could be harmful if you're ignoring bigger markets.

There may be a 'couple million' WP users, but only a small portion of that might be interested in their app. It makes more financial sense to stick to the platforms with a few hundred million people. Many 'official apps' are also free, so they've got to have a solid reason to invest that much time and money. If the company only receives 10 requests to build a Windows Phone version, or if their market reports indicate you have few Windows Phone users then why would they bother?

Of course the flip-side is that the WP marketplace isn't saturated so they can have a much stronger presence on the platform. The compatibility of code-bases between Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 (and Xbox to some degree) should make the platform far more enticing for all developers.

n3on

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm having an issue where notifications don't disappear once I've seen them. In the drop down list in the app they are not highlighted anymore but the counter on the globe icon keeps red and going up.

Also while the counter disappears on the desktop version of facebook (for notifications I've viewed in the WP app) the notifications are still highlighted in the drop down lost and are marked as "unread".

It's not until I actually mark them as read or click on them in the desktop version that they disappear from the WP app.

Also (but maybe this is normal for the beta) I don't get notifications on the livetile or toasts.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm having an issue where notifications don't disappear once I've seen them. In the drop down list in the app they are not highlighted anymore but the counter on the globe icon keeps red and going up.

Also while the counter disappears on the desktop version of facebook (for notifications I've viewed in the WP app) the notifications are still highlighted in the drop down lost and are marked as "unread".

It's not until I actually mark them as read or click on them in the desktop version that they disappear from the WP app.

Also (but maybe this is normal for the beta) I don't get notifications on the livetile or toasts.

Did you send this through the reporting function in the app? When you send them an email from your phone it gives them a LOT of extra details and helps their programmers recreate your troubles, it is VERY benefical for them.

I experience the "Undead Notification" also, can't get rid of them while using the phone no matter what.

But the toasts work fine for me. I still have the old app on my phone too so I actually get TWO notifications each time, haha. The toasts are always slightly messed up for me though...but I can't tell if that is just because I don't notice them sometimes. One day I'll get the toasts instantly and every time. Then I'll go 4-5 days without getting another one.

carajean

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello new to windows phone. Downloaded he Facebook app I have a group message going on there for some reason when I access that chat I get a data error.

Yes I have data.
Yes I have uninstalled and reinstalled.

Any help would be helpful.

tvolpe86

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
is it not possible with the official facebook app for wp7 and wp8 and the new beta app for wp8 to long press an image or via a submenu save a posted pic directly to the phone? never used the dedicated apps since i always just used the integrated fb feature, but my sister who just got a 928 stumbled across this and so i tried on my phone and couldn't figure it out. if there is no way to save a pic from the app to the phone directly, that's pretty unacceptable seeing as you can do so on android and iOS.

Last edited:

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
if there is no way to save a pic from the app to the phone directly, that's pretty unacceptable seeing as you can do so on android and iOS.

If you can do that on iOS then why do people like Takei STILL post screen shots of forwards??? That just bugs the hell out of me, haha.

But it appears you are correct. I can not get any of the FB apps to save a photo, even more reason to just use the Native interaction as your primary experience.

scallywag6

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
When I'm viewing a friend's wall and hit the "add" button to write on their wall, the post shows up on my wall instead.

Happening to anyone else?

Razko

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I have a question, and I apologize if it has been answered.

Is it possible to copy text from messages in Inbox similar to iOS and Android?

Thanks!

JMBasquiat

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why Facebook Beta completely disregards my preferences on what to show/hide. I've chosen to not receive any status updates from certain people and Facebook for iOS/Android respects those choices and doesn't display them. Facebook for WP8 ignores that completely, and displays whatever people post. Infuriating.

Ryano89

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Facebook Beta Version 5.0.1.2 updated, the app seems very smooth, fast and well laid out. Meto style is nice, flip left or right for different menus, shake your phone or pull down on the main screen news to refresh. It's only in beta but let's hope to see it in the store soon.
What does anyone else think?
Anybody else not get notifications for messages while using the beta? And yes I have checked the settings .lol

Tomanband

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Anybody else not get notifications for messages while using the beta? And yes I have checked the settings .lol
It is currently not yet possible with the official or official beta app. There is however the JDB for Facebook app which is currently the only FB app able to do it.

Ryano89

May 22, 2013
Visit site
It is currently not yet possible with the official or official beta app. There is however the JDB for Facebook app which is currently the only FB app able to do it.

I had been using the beta (which is much improved" but the messaging notifications and customization in JDB is really nice, I hadn't tried it, thanks for the tip in going to check it out for a few days and see how it goes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism