Facebook : features, discussions, rants, issues, solutions

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Facebook getting updated? Where is the WP8 love?

But there is A facebook app, and realistically Facebook has made some pretty awful apps that never drove people away. Mobile doesn't make them much money so they don't put much money back into mobile in general.

There is no point there being a Facebook app when it works the way it does, with even the most simple basic needed feature set being missing, it isn't rocket science and Microsoft is clearly ignoring its customers with regards to the Facebook app, and for that reason they're going to have a lot of angry customers and eventually people will give up and move on! Windows Phone doesn't need this, they need every single customer they can get.

Microsoft pull your thumb out, and fast!

jetshine

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

You are going to leave because of a FB app? I don't believe it and I bet they don't as well.
Facebook app on WP8 is terrible. And m.facebook.com is a lot nicer on a WebKit-based browser than the IE browser (as are many other sites and services). So red marks on both accounts. I tried WP8 on a Lumia 920 back in January... sorry to see that nothing has improved since then. And yes, my terrible experience with FB was a strong factor in my decision to return it.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site

i dont even care there isnt a FB app...WP already delivers basic integrated FB funcionalities (news feeds, status post, messenger) and whenever i need to like check one of my FB groups, i go to the mobile website and it serves me just fine!
aw yeah, also i can share pictures to FB directly from my album, just like in Android...
so it's not like WP doesent support FB at all...it is integrated with the OS! and covers all the basics! its just pplz who can't get used to a new way of using FB!

the only problem really are notifications, but it's something that can be solved with upcoming updates...so if you can't get used to new ways of doing stuff, just go back to Android and that stupid buggy app!

seriously now...am i the only one who uses people hub+mobile website and is just fine with it?

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

Theres been no update since beginning of December last year and theres been no new features added since May 2012, so what do you think will be addressed in upcoming updates? if there will ever be a proper update!

hamzie11

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site

They need to follow suit and make the banner twitter'esque

twitter has the right idea for metro for their app. and that design will work well with fb

sjhippie

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

I don't have the link handy...sorry about that BUT, I read recently that the slow erosion has already begun with Facebook. As with MySpace it begins as a trickle and then gains more and more momentum as people stop using it. I'm not saying Facebook is going to go the way of the DoDo BUT, the articles I've read are showing that more and more teens are moving away from Facebook 1) because it isn't cool anymore and 2) their parents use it. While this may/may not be the delay in MS for updating it... probably not but I think over the next year or so we'll see a very different landscape. I make the current app work...it's not great but I still use a laptop/desktop for my video work so I can keep up on that. I'm not one of those people that has to check status updates every 2-3mins.

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

I don't have the link handy...sorry about that BUT, I read recently that the slow erosion has already begun with Facebook. As with MySpace it begins as a trickle and then gains more and more momentum as people stop using it. I'm not saying Facebook is going to go the way of the DoDo BUT, the articles I've read are showing that more and more teens are moving away from Facebook 1) because it isn't cool anymore and 2) their parents use it. While this may/may not be the delay in MS for updating it... probably not but I think over the next year or so we'll see a very different landscape. I make the current app work...it's not great but I still use a laptop/desktop for my video work so I can keep up on that. I'm not one of those people that has to check status updates every 2-3mins.

I don't think most of us here need to check our status updates every 2 minutes either, BUT when I get messages from friends or family overseas and I got get any sort of notification about it, its trouble for me as due to the different times I don't always get to talk to them in real time.

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Facebook for Windows Phone 4.2

So Facebook has been updated today, so far notice absolutely no changes, others are reporting slight speed increases.

4 months since the last update and nothing new added, nothing new added on the previous update either.

Anyone notice anything new?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Facebook for Windows Phone 4.2

I think the biggest concern people has was the notifications?

Mine have started working for the past couple weeks a lot better than it was before.

What other improvements are you looking for?

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

- Can’t see/send attachments in messages
- Photos load as tiny thumbnails
- Can’t share friend’s posts/can’t tag people in comment/post
- Can’t search for new friends/unfriend friends or like or unlike pages
- Can’t post to a group
- Can’t filter out games stuff of news feed
- Can’t share pics
- Hyperlinks don’t work/ not present in app
- No chat (Facebook chat integration is crap)
- Can’t post on friend’s wall
- No cover photo access
- Can’t delete private messages

As for the refresh bug and notifications, I will be checking these out over the next couple of days and see what happens

blnwp

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

I said this in comment to the main post. Repeating here.

- The app need to lose its metro design for its own good IMO. Facebook has its own design language and app should just follow it. Just like Twitter. Uniform interfaces in all ecosystems.
- Needs top stories sorting.
- Needs FB messenger and chat with instant notifications.
- Share and tag people in comments and posts.

These are just few I have. I'll keep using the Facebook touch interface or Social Scout until they fix the above mentioned things.

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

We really do need Facebook Messenger and notifications need improvement. The look doesn't bother me, I prefer it. Just needs some tweaking and basic features need adding.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site

- Can’t filter out games stuff of news feed
This times 9,000!!! I have lots of filters and groups set up for Facebook, but the minute I step foot into the WP app it all goes away.

That being said, I have noticed (as others have mentioned) it has FINALLY STOPPED auto-refreshing and jumping straight to the top of the news feed randomly, no matter how far you were from the top. That right there at least makes putting up with all the game stuff, random graphical quotes, etc tolerable... since after a minute of scrolling past it to get to some good content, you don't have to worry about it jumping back to the top and telling you that you're a sucker for trying :p

The baked in Facebook chat is fine for me though... comes in as a text message, which helps me feel closer to my friends in other countries.

LumiaDream

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Let's put an end to the Facebook circus

So the Facebook app just got an update. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand no, still no notifications for me. The one and ONLY thing a Facebook client should do, is still not available on Windows Phone.

If you don't get notifications, here is the email of the app developers:
"fbwp@microsoft.com" <fbwp@microsoft.com>

PLEASE, take 2 minutes of your time and make sure they know that we are not satisfied. Make them know what doesn't work and what needs fixing.

Will only take 2 minutes, if we can get 100 messages sent it will make a huge impact.

EDIT for people who clearly think the way they use a phone is the way everybody must use it: The FB integration in the phone is good but it's lacking, for example how do I get messages from people? I have to be online on chat. What if I do not want to be online in chat? I get no messages. THIS, is why we need a FB app that has notifications working. You do not get messages unless you are online on Facebook, and some people don't want to, it's that simple.

Last edited:

Tomanband

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site

I did a few tests with 3 different accounts: Message notifications still do not work...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss