Facebook : features, discussions, rants, issues, solutions

nehvada

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: Facebook news feed missing multiple hours (HTC 8X VZN)

that whole facebook app is a "known bug", totally useless. i use "facebook tile" to visit m.facebook.com

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: Facebook for Windows Phone 4.2

no luck, is it possible that you have the mobile phone text message setting activated? I think this gives you the mobile phone icon too. Living in Switzerland I cannot enable the text messages...

Do you know of any way how to fake this mobile icon if I can't get it normally?

No, I don't have text messaging active. Normally setting Busy on my phone is enough to make FB show the mobile icon - same for the other two WP handsets in my household.

It might also be worth setting your status to Busy on the phone and then going to the accounts page and forcing a sync of your Facebook account. That might give it a kick. If that still doesn't work, I would follow the steps in this post http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...ffecting-windows-phone-skype.html#post1865926

hamzie11

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site

Emailed stephen elop for ****s and giggles about fb app update
all he said was
I can?t provide any specifics on future product plans, but we definitely recognize the importance of a great social experience.

Regards,

Stephen

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Let's put an end to the Facebook circus

Answering to the first post:
Dude, you have to be online either way to get messages, on app or chat integration.
You can't use Facebook offline.
They fixed the scroll always being reset and go to first post.
They fixed the tile count notifications.
So the update dis something, just didn't what everyone wanted: a new app.

I thought the refresh to the top of the feed bug was fixed too until I started suffering from it the next day after installing the update.
I replied to a post on a page, then touched the back button on my phone, it didn't stay where I was before but refreshed to the top of the news feed, so no they didn't fix that bug.

As for the new app, no I don't want a new app, I like this app, all I want is the same features to be added that are already available in the ios version and android version, its quite simple really.

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

I set my status to busy in both the me tile and the messaging app, but I still show up as a green dot (online) on facebook, what am I doing wrong?

I don't believe markfive has any clue what you're talking about, I do and it'll always show the green online dot and not the phone icon (like you get with android, ios) no matter what status you set in the people hub or anywhere else.

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site

I don't believe markfive has any clue what you're talking about, I do and it'll always show the green online dot and not the phone icon (like you get with android, ios) no matter what status you set in the people hub or anywhere else.

I've just tested this and the behaviour is as I describe it. If you set your status in Messages to busy then on FB your chat icon changes to the mobile one (it may take a moment or two to change). If you are not seeing this then another application is also setting your chat status - for example if I have the mobile icon (Messages chat status = busy) and then log into touch.facebook.com on my phone, my FB status goes to green if I use chat on touch.facebook.com - likewise my status goes green if I use FB chat (via www or FB messenger) on my PC.

Also http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/206349-facebook-chat-updates.html

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

I've just tested this and the behaviour is as I describe it. If you set your status in Messages to busy then on FB your chat icon changes to the mobile one (it may take a moment or two to change). If you are not seeing this then another application is also setting your chat status - for example if I have the mobile icon (Messages chat status = busy) and then log into touch.facebook.com on my phone, my FB status goes to green if I use chat on touch.facebook.com - likewise my status goes green if I use FB chat (via www or FB messenger) on my PC.

Also http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/206349-facebook-chat-updates.html

I've tested what you're saying and on my friends login it shows the green icon, when I go offline, it shows offline, again go to busy again and shows the green icon. never seen the mobile icon before. what device do you have with which update?

Tomanband

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site

I've tested what you're saying and on my friends login it shows the queen icon, when I go offline, it shows offline, again go to busy again and shows the green icon. never seen the mobile icon before. what device do you have with which update?

same here

@markfive: I didn't connect skype to facebook on my pc have you done that? Skype+Facebook in the messaging app share the same status so it might be linked???
Also your position is really interesting, as I had this "online" problem since the beginning, I have searched the web for a solution and you are the first person I see who has a solution...

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site

Emailed stephen elop for ****s and giggles about fb app update
all he said was
I can?t provide any specifics on future product plans, but we definitely recognize the importance of a great social experience.

Regards,

Stephen

shouldn't you be contacting MS? They're the ones behind this app lol i can't possibly see how Nokia can give you the answer you want...

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

A couple of reasons why I stopped using Facebook. People have lost jobs and/or not gotten jobs because employers find them on Facebook. There was one employer that not only demanded the employees Facebook account but demanded the password .. I almost missed my grandson's birthday party because my daughter in law said "I posted the time and date on Facebook."

I'm gonna be honest. If an employer asked for any of my social networking information such as passwords, I have no problem typing up my notice right then and there. And if an employer really feels the need to that, let there be transparency from everyone. Give me YOUR social network info as well.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

I quit Facebook a while ago. I have a phone. If someone wants to let me know something, they can call or text. I don't have a need to have to know what everyone is doing at every moment, and everyone else doesn't need to know my business. I don't have instagram either. If someone wants to share a pic, they can text it to me. There's no such thing as privacy anymore. Everything is impersonal and void of real human contact. Civilization wil pay dearly for social networking in the future. I used to think web forums were bad, but most are topical and aren't used to substitute real personal communication. I probably sound like an old scrooge to everyone...but seriously...stop and think about these things every so often. Eff a Facebook. Now I'll go hide until I'm done being hammered..lol

View attachment 31651

I think on the flipside, there are alot of plusses to social networking as well. There are people in my life I'm still acquainted with who may not hold as much significance as they did before. We still share mutual friends and occasionally run into one another. But aren't gonna be chatting up each other everyday. I think Facebook allows you to keep those connections open when whether its logistics or just life doesn't.

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site

I've tested what you're saying and on my friends login it shows the green icon, when I go offline, it shows offline, again go to busy again and shows the green icon. never seen the mobile icon before. what device do you have with which update?

L920 with 1308 fw.

@markfive: I didn't connect skype to facebook on my pc have you done that? Skype+Facebook in the messaging app share the same status so it might be linked???
Also your position is really interesting, as I had this "online" problem since the beginning, I have searched the web for a solution and you are the first person I see who has a solution...

I don't have Skype connected to Facebook as yet. My Skype account is linked to my MS account.

It's always frustrating when different people get different results testing the same thing.

Gambit11B

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

We really do need Facebook Messenger and notifications need improvement. The look doesn't bother me, I prefer it. Just needs some tweaking and basic features need adding.

Why do you need Facebook Messenger? You can message any one of your FB contacts right from the Messages tile....even if the contact doesn't have a phone# attached.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Why do you need Facebook Messenger? You can message any one of your FB contacts right from the Messages tile....even if the contact doesn't have a phone# attached.

Different API calls. Basically the integrated Facebook chat one uses the inferior chat API, not the messenger API that will allow messages to sync up with the Facebook server. It's a bit like POP and IMAP.

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site

Different API calls. Basically the integrated Facebook chat one uses the inferior chat API, not the messenger API that will allow messages to sync up with the Facebook server. It's a bit like POP and IMAP.

A great way of explaining the difference :smile:

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

And that would be why when we have a conversation on the browser based chat, that I get the 1 sided conversation downloaded to my phone. I do like how if I have a conversation on Win8's messenger app, that I get that some thing sent to my phone (but not vice versa, which is weird...but what ev's.)

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site

And that would be why when we have a conversation on the browser based chat, that I get the 1 sided conversation downloaded to my phone. I do like how if I have a conversation on Win8's messenger app, that I get that some thing sent to my phone (but not vice versa, which is weird...but what ev's.)

I have suspected for a while that the WP8 Messages limitation is more to do with the MS FB application, as on the odd occasion I have found whole conversations downloaded to the phone. Which implies that there's something else going on. I'm hoping that when they finish the Messenger migration next week that we will suddenly find that all the MS properties use the FB messenger API.

We (well I) can but hope :smile:

Tomanband

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site

I spent a few hours and checked almost every official document by Microsoft on the messaging app and the WP facebook integration: only Offline and Online affect the facebook chat. Same info according to the Facebook support.

Also every review I found noted this and everybody on the Microsoft Answers forums, nokia forums, here and on some german WP websites I am reading.

It looks like you (and some other guy on here, related to you??) are the only one on the internet who have the phone icon, thus I don't believe you. Your fanboyism must make you hallucinate a phone icon on FB.

I followed your procedure, reinstalled and resetted everything on the phone, in my Microsoft account and on facebook, it is simply impossible.
I also tested every messaging/chat app available in the store, every app can only display online or offline, none "on a mobile device"/busy.

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site

I spent a few hours and checked almost every official document by Microsoft on the messaging app and the WP facebook integration: only Offline and Online affect the facebook chat. Same info according to the Facebook support.

Also every review I found noted this and everybody on the Microsoft Answers forums, nokia forums, here and on some german WP websites I am reading.

It looks like you (and some other guy on here, related to you??) are the only one on the internet who have the phone icon, thus I don't believe you. Your fanboyism must make you hallucinate a phone icon on FB.

I followed your procedure, reinstalled and resetted everything on the phone, in my Microsoft account and on facebook, it is simply impossible.
I also tested every messaging/chat app available in the store, every app can only display online or offline, none "on a mobile device"/busy.

I don't know why you can't get it to work, but it does for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos