Facebook : features, discussions, rants, issues, solutions

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Joe Belfiore just tweeted about upcoming WP7 Facebook Beta app and not working push notifications.

Here:
"I just got a hands-on with #Facebook #WP7 which many of you have asked about. It's coming along, should have beta out this month!"

"we're aware of and working through push issues that are happening with Facebook's service talking to ours. Improvement coming"

itsmemuffins

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
What's the deal with the beta app and background tasks for Facebook? I don't see it in the list of allowed and blocked. The live tile stopped updating and also the me tile. I had Facebook installed too and the background task for that wasn't working as in it was listed as blocked but even when it was ticked it wouldn't unblock.

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
What's the deal with the beta app and background tasks for Facebook? I don't see it in the list of allowed and blocked. The live tile stopped updating and also the me tile. I had Facebook installed too and the background task for that wasn't working as in it was listed as blocked but even when it was ticked it wouldn't unblock.

That's because of issues. Microsoft and Facebook are aware of notifications, live tile and other problems. They are already working on fix. We can expect it in next 2-3 weeks. Actually Facebook Beta background tasks are not changeable via phone settings. I guess you can change it via FB Beta app, there are three options. Toast Notifications+tile count, tile count, or no notifications. But even if you change to toast+tile count it won't show up on your background settings list.

dissonate

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I figured out what causes a bug that has been driving me crazy.
Within the facebook beta app, and I think the non beta version too, you cannot post a photo to your timeline and use the enter key in the text description.
If I do this, I always get, update cannot be posted at this time, without fail.
Once this has happened once, I must close the app and reload it before anything will post. If you dont the dots will just keep scrolling forever and nothing will happen.

This drove me insane, for ages I thought it was because my photos were too big, so I invested in various tools to resize and compress. Lots of these use ungainly massive file names.
I then found that this wasnt the case, as on the rare occasion, something would post, and it was sometimes a non compressed pic.
So then I thought it must be the length of my text. In the 'Me' tile when adding a caption to a photo it tells you that 255 characters is the limit if you get near it. I thought that was the case posting a photo to your timeline in the app as well, so I set about proving it, by posting '123456789 123456789 123456789 ' and trying to count the maximum point where it would fail.
Most of my actual posts have a fair bit of text.
Of course, since in my field length test I was never hitting enter, it never failed. This took ages, I gave up at 512 characters.
Then I thought it was to do with privacy settings, I was doing this test with 'only me' as the audience. But I couldnt find an issue here either.
Then I did another real post, which had maybe 10 words, but crucially, an enter before the last word. And I got the message.

I had to think for a while about what was different between all my tests and the first short real post I had tried, and the enter key was it.

Highly frustrating!

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Very glad to some new features, especially the ability to save images from your feed.

However, if you open an image that is part of an album and swipe left or right to view other photos in the album, and then attempt to save one of those other pictures, it will save a copy of only the first image you clicked on to open the album in the first place.

bahamut443

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I figured out what causes a bug that has been driving me crazy.
Within the facebook beta app, and I think the non beta version too, you cannot post a photo to your timeline and use the enter key in the text description.
If I do this, I always get, update cannot be posted at this time, without fail.
Once this has happened once, I must close the app and reload it before anything will post. If you dont the dots will just keep scrolling forever and nothing will happen.

This drove me insane, for ages I thought it was because my photos were too big, so I invested in various tools to resize and compress. Lots of these use ungainly massive file names.
I then found that this wasnt the case, as on the rare occasion, something would post, and it was sometimes a non compressed pic.
So then I thought it must be the length of my text. In the 'Me' tile when adding a caption to a photo it tells you that 255 characters is the limit if you get near it. I thought that was the case posting a photo to your timeline in the app as well, so I set about proving it, by posting '123456789 123456789 123456789 ' and trying to count the maximum point where it would fail.
Most of my actual posts have a fair bit of text.
Of course, since in my field length test I was never hitting enter, it never failed. This took ages, I gave up at 512 characters.
Then I thought it was to do with privacy settings, I was doing this test with 'only me' as the audience. But I couldnt find an issue here either.
Then I did another real post, which had maybe 10 words, but crucially, an enter before the last word. And I got the message.

I had to think for a while about what was different between all my tests and the first short real post I had tried, and the enter key was it.

Highly frustrating!

You should consider sending this info in an email to report bugs via the app! Nice find!

Flavio Lopes

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Do more people have the problem that not all posts in the wall show up in the app? Compare the posts on the wall or a timeline from a person between the app and the website, and you'll probably notice that the app doesn't show half of the post. It's really crappy! My sister has the same problem. Do more people experience this? I bet you never noticed until now! :angry:

This is the biggest problem with the Facebook app.

By the way I'm still receiving notifications from birthday wishes on my timeline. My birthday was 31 juli!!! the app SUCKS. WORHTLESS!

this also happens to me , I more posts from pages I liked , then my friends feed.

need to fix this asap! atm I use IE and M.facebook

sbono13

Oct 10, 2003
www.pyslent.com
That's a great discovery. I have noticed the Facebook App failing to upload a photo at least half the time I've used it without knowing why. At least now I know. The Me tile always works, but the upload is so degrades as to be useless.

Here's a new Facebook bug-- exclusively on Windows Phone. Facebook has rolled out shared photo albums, where more than one user can contribute to the album. These albums can't be viewed on a windows phone. Pictures don't load in the People app (says album is empty) nor in the Facebook app (album loads a blank page). Clicking on an individual photos from the album when they appear in your newsfeed works, though.

Anyone else notice this? Will Microsoft ever notice it?

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
After latest update (Facebook Beta) live tile, push and tile count are working quite ok for me. Just found 2 annoying issues. I can't go up in conversations to see older messages + often when I go to respond to someone's message I type message into the bracket and... Can't send it, because 'send button' is grayed out. I have to copy my message go out of the conversation and back in. Anyone?

cw1988

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Still haven't gotten any toasts in over a month+

I posted this before but just wanted to post again.

If you're not receiving toasts check your Facebook notification area first on the desktop site. You should be able to enable push notifications and edit them. This may not fix toasts but if you have those options your one step closer to it working.

A good few people have issues with their actual Facebook settings, nothing to do with the app or their phone i mean the actual desktop Facebook settings.

For example, my Facebook doesn't have the option to enable/disable anything for email notifications, text notifications or push notifications. This is a Facebook problem that means i will never receive toasts on any phone,tablet or even w8 Facebook app.

So check Facebook on desktop first.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I posted this before but just wanted to post again.

If you're not receiving toasts check your Facebook notification area first on the desktop site. You should be able to enable push notifications and edit them. This may not fix toasts but if you have those options your one step closer to it working.

A good few people have issues with their actual Facebook settings, nothing to do with the app or their phone i mean the actual desktop Facebook settings.

For example, my Facebook doesn't have the option to enable/disable anything for email notifications, text notifications or push notifications. This is a Facebook problem that means i will never receive toasts on any phone,tablet or even w8 Facebook app.

So check Facebook on desktop first.

I believe most of us did not change the Facebook notification settings at all. I can receive notifications on my Nexus 7. So I think Facebook is pushing the notifications to the users very well. To make things clear, I do receive notification on the ME Tile, but not on the Facebook app. I think the problem lies between Facebook and MS. Not the app nor settings.

hsn97

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi people, i've started to use the people hub since the last couple of days and really liked how useful it can be. But i've noticed a very annoying thing happening, when i open a picture on people hub shared by my friend on facebook, it sometimes loads and brings another picture from the same page my friend shared the picture and when i get back, i see a grey colored thumbnail instead of the picture thumbnail and when i try to open it again, i get this error of which i've attatched the screenshot link below. Please have a look at the screenshots to have a better idea of what i'm saying.

http://imgur.com/nWZUzfB
http://imgur.com/1UgvPFx

cw1988

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I just tried to recreate what your screenshots show and i got the same thing.
Picture opening from a friends wall that they posted works.
Picture opening from a friends wall that they shared - makes all thumbnails grey with that error message on load.

Although i tested it on 3g and wifi and it only did it on 3g, i cant make it glitch like yours did on wifi.

Very weird.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3