Facebook : features, discussions, rants, issues, solutions

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
That's how the 8.1 apps do. U have to close it from the multitask view instead of with the back button

Umm, not that I have seen. Backing out of an app is supposed to close the app. Hitting the windows button tombstones it. FB and the Messenger apps are the only two doing this. This is a new issue. I've been running DP for quite some time, so this is not normal.

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Umm, not that I have seen. Backing out of an app is supposed to close the app. Hitting the windows button tombstones it. FB and the Messenger apps are the only two doing this. This is a new issue. I've been running DP for quite some time, so this is not normal.

Actually no its perfectly normal. Its up to devs to program the apps as such. Microsoft's Files app does the same. So does Calendar and Chronos Calendar/+. This is how it's like even on normal 8.1

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

Yea on 8.0 that's how it worked when they update the apps to 8.1 they have the option to tombstone with the windows and back button it's to help it fast resume not many apps have enabled it yet. So yes this is normal 8.1 updated app behavior

RoboLoftie

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Yea they don't close anymore when you back out. Skype doesn't either, nor Duolingo. Annoying because the battery still drains faster having them tombstoned than closed - although I'm fairly sure they're not supposed to do that. Shame there isn't say long press on windows key to close. Thankful that I'm not seeing Messenger drink my battery dry like it occasionally did when I left it tombstoned, I assume that was a bug that they fixed.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Actually no its perfectly normal. Its up to devs to program the apps as such. So does calendar

Holy crap. I don't use the stock calendar app and I just checked and you're right.

From what I've seen with FB or the Messenger app tombstoned, it sometimes takes the FB or Messenger app longer to open when opening from the start screen.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
There is legitimately no way to change the cover photo... Fail Microsoft fail. Unless I'm missing something??

Yeah can't seem to find a way either. Really hope this functionality is added in.

On another note, it looks like photo uploading in the app is a bit better now. Before it seemed to take forever.

JC_Yang

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi, all. A simple question. Is there anyway to read who replys to whose comment from the comments list of a post? I follow some people whose posts are usually attracting so many comments and there're conversations in the comments, but the facebook app does not show this piece of information. How can I read it or I have to wait for Microsoft to add this small but important feature?

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi, all. A simple question. Is there anyway to read who replys to whose comment from the comments list of a post? I follow some people whose posts are usually attracting so many comments and there're conversations in the comments, but the facebook app does not show this piece of information. How can I read it or I have to wait for Microsoft to add this small but important feature?

I'm not quite sure I follow... Would it be possible to get a more elaborate example?

JC_Yang

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Facebook_Comments_01.png
This is a screenshot from facebook web pages, in the comment list of a post.
We can clearly see that Juan Mok replied to Kathy Tang's comment and Ho Lun Ng replied to Simon Leung's comment.
But the wp8.1 facebook app lacks this vision.

Last edited:

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes there are quite a number of features that need to be added to the facebook app to reach iOS/Android parity. Unfortunately since this is Microsoft themselves and not facebook working on the app, it's difficult to tell if and when these features will be added. The problem probably stems from the fact that the Microsoft team probably has to send every update to the app to facebook, they then have to look at it and approve it. A process which facebook probably doesn't find much priority for :/

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If they can't add features then why ms removed me tile integration I love the wp 8 handled Facebook.wp 8.1 sucks.

The integration was the exact same feature set, they were just in a different spot on the phone those features have never been available on Windows Phone as facebook hasn't put forth the effort to make the full facebook experience available on Windows Phone (aside from viewing it in IE) until facebook decides to have a more active role in development for Windows Phone we will never have a full featured facebook app, or rather we will never have app parity with iOS/Android.

JC_Yang

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Shouldn't microsoft implement it on their own? Use their web APIs, please, it's not difficult.
Waiting for facebook to cooperate might be an endless dream, it will never come true.
Few internet companies consider WP as a mainstream platform, I don't expect them to devote more time than nowadays to improve their apps. Stop waiting and start working. Don't frustrate your WP fans anymore. We need better apps.
ps: I'm learning to develop Universal Apps recently, but I still think Microsoft should take more positive and active role in this ecosystem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss