What is wpcentral's relationship with Instagraph, why the extra attention?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Why is Instagraph receiving so much more attention tha other apps or other photo services, does wpcentral or any of its members have a financial interest in instagraph?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing here. Seriously.

But I think it has something to do with the lack of instagram for the platform and the fact that this is a major break through for WP8.

I could just be wrong though.

Last edited:

Shouvik Mazumdar

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I doubt regarding commission / financial interest. Its just that many people used to crib about lack of insta insta so now you have it .. it deserves a little attention. WP central also loves liquid daffodils a lot

rhodri22

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
More likely it's just because Dan's sick of being asked when Instagram is coming to the platform, so when something that can do the job arrives he makes sure that everyone knows it.

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
The app is cool I will give it that, but it's missing damn near everything people want. Yes it's awesome that we can finally upload but that is it and I think they should have built a full blown app before giving us 2.50$ uploader.

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Because they are given bunnies and unicorns in exchange for the promos

but seriously though. only app that can upload to instagram

Enjoy life.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
There are other big apps, none of them got their own entire section.

Plus we have had communication directly from the developers from wpcentral, is it because of a financial relationship?

Saerise

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
People like Instagram maybe? I think you're reading too much into it. Personally, I cancelled my account when Facebook bought it and I'm holding out for Molome. But if people want to use it on WP, what's wrong with them being excited about Instagraph enabling them to do so?

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
^^ They are reviewing it, so its shady ethically if they do not disclose the relationship

^people really like Pandora and Twitter, they didn't get their own sections

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I'm guessing here. Seriously.

But I think it has something to do with the lack of instagram for the platform and the fact that this is a major break through for WP8.

I could just be wrong though.

Its this

I think it's so the Developer can visit frequently and answer any questions.

And this

When you get a developer offering to spend some time in the forum talking about an app as important as this one you go for it. Windows phone needs an app its not fare that Instagram won't give it to us. Now we don't have to wait.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Yeeeesh,

Commissions? Financial interests? I wish.

For one, I'm not paid by site traffic nor have we ever accepted money from developers for app promotion of any kind (and TBH, I'm never offered that anyway). That is 100% our policy and it will remain so. I'm paid well enough that "extra money" from developers would not be enough for me to bother. What can I say: Mobile Nations takes care of its own--it's nice working for a small, independent company.

Re: Instagraph in particular, as a few have referenced above it's due to two reasons:
  1. It generates a lot of interest both from current Windows Phone users and those watching our platform. Just look at the sheer number of comments that it generates.
  2. It's a big deal for Windows Phone. Any time a developer does a "first" we give it extra attention because that is what our audience is interested in
This is kind of simple, really: if we post and our traffic goes up for that story, along with massive community participation, we continue to cover that topic/issue/app. Crazy, right? If a story or topic elicits very little response, is a bore or gets very little traffic, we move on.

If we did one or two posts on Instagraph and it garnered like 10 or 20 comments, we would drop it. Instead, our "it's now available" post had nearly 500 comments. Show me other apps that bring in that much community discussion/interest?

Sorry to disappoint but no, I have no financial interest in Instagraph and neither does the site. We simply respond to what you guys want to hear. That's just a fact and the same policy applies to all Mobile Nations sites.

Last edited:

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
^^ They are reviewing it, so its shady ethically if they do not disclose the relationship

^people really like Pandora and Twitter, they didn't get their own sections
The reality is a lot more bland: some developers are really outgoing, want to participate in the community while others just publish and don't. Some devs get "extra" attention only because they're aggressive and make an effort to contact us/work with us.

I did an interview with Ad Duplex on this topic: AdDuplex Blog: Marketing and Monetization Interview Series #9. Help Daniel Rubino Help You

If you email us a .xap, some images, description, links, notices of impending app updates, detailed changelog, you do tend to get better treatment than someone who can't be bothered to even email us. In short, some devs are awesome to work with and others are kind of jerks, just like real life ;P Just because you email us things doesn't mean we cover it, but it sure gets a foot in the door for you.

In this case, we gave Instagraph a sub-forum for one, single reason: they asked.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
No need for the snark, it wasn't a call-out thread. All I wanted to know was if the site received funding from this or any other apps, good to hear that you do not.

thanks

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
No need for the snark, it wasn't a call-out thread. All I wanted to know was if the site received funding from this or any other apps, good to hear that you do not.

thanks
No problem and sorry if offense was taken--we just get this often on the site e.g. "Why do you guys always talk about Nokia!" in comments, etc. Recently we started talking about the ATIV S more (I and Rich each bought one) and next thing you know, we're "in the bag for Samsung" which is hilarious. So it just gets tough sometimes, even if in this case it was more benign than accusatory (it's the stress, I tell you!)

But we're an open book here: if you folks have questions on how we do things, want to question our ethics/interests, please do and we'll try to answer ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99