What is wpcentral's relationship with Instagraph, why the extra attention?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Fair enough, there is a bunch of hype out there.

However, I will have to take issue with your statement that "this will stop all BS". I think that's part of the argument here. If Instagraph came out and worked seamlessly, very few would be concerned. The fact of the matter, unfortunately for the developers, is that it was released really buggy and feature incomplete. That is probably what rubs people the wrong way. Why hold out a far-from-perfect client on a pedestal, when tomorrow you might write a negative review about a broken game and hurt that developer and its sales?

Heard of conflict of interest? It's actually a pretty big deal. I don't want to be reading a bunch of paid advertisements, I want to read the honest opinions of other human beings.

Explain the conflict on a privately owned website?

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Explain the conflict on a privately owned website?
Say what? Company pays writer → writer has conflict of interest when writing a story about the company. Don't see how that is affected by private ownership, almost all news sites are privately owned and ethics statements are important for every single one of them.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I like what Instagraph developers have accomplished but this app is a massive rip-off. I've honestly not seen a more featureless 'paid' app before. 3 uploads per day, no ability to comment or anything, server downtimes etc etc.

P.S I don't see any special interest for WPCentral here. The only reason why this app is getting the attention is because it's doing something NO OTHER APP can do. I think's that deserves a few posts, no?

Pelle Lbergh

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Personally I don't care that u can't view or comment on instagraph, I just share pics and use wpgram for the rest. I think the devs should focus on getting the uploading to work without hiccups b4 adding new features.

jlynnm350z

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Lol, so many conspiracy theories, thought I was bad. It's simplest answer is always right. Do you believe that WPC has a secret agenda so they can make money or is it just because people are interested so they write the articles. I would say the latter.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Say what? Company pays writer → writer has conflict of interest when writing a story about the company. Don't see how that is affected by private ownership, almost all news sites are privately owned and ethics statements are important for every single one of them.

You have a big pointing finger to. How's about some proof... you don't have any because their isn't any. Post proof or don't post. Your negative attacks are false and will no longer be tolerated.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Fair enough, there is a bunch of hype out there.

However, I will have to take issue with your statement that "this will stop all BS". I think that's part of the argument here. If Instagraph came out and worked seamlessly, very few would be concerned. The fact of the matter, unfortunately for the developers, is that it was released really buggy and feature incomplete. That is probably what rubs people the wrong way. Why hold out a far-from-perfect client on a pedestal, when tomorrow you might write a negative review about a broken game and hurt that developer and its sales?

Heard of conflict of interest? It's actually a pretty big deal. I don't want to be reading a bunch of paid advertisements, I want to read the honest opinions of other human beings.

And WPC came back with a piece stating the apps' issues. So I still don't see the issue here

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Facebook bought Instagram last year for 1 million $ and has done nothing with it yet. Instagram has no path for producing income other that the appp cost, In the future there will probably be ads.

Was the beast deal facebook made in years. It gave them back more than people realize. Look at the permissions for the instagram app(google play as apple does not have permission lists). You will be horrified how the instagram app is allowed access everywhere in your phone. It can look at what apps you are running etc.

This knowledge about what users is doing where the users is (it's geographic coordinates) what apps does he uses are invaluable especially to facebook. Without this info facebook could have never made facebook home.

So instagram is not about producing money from direct sales(selling the app) but from providing data to be mined and allowing other services to use those informations to sell you stuff or to better target you for advertisements.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I think the first problem in all of this, was this teasing post and then the long void with no progress after it. I followed Rubino's coverage closely, and I don't think it was too much in general.

An exclusive teasing post like this creates interest (click bait), which generates revenue for the page. I really don't want to claim that this was the goal of his initial post, but it's something that led to financial gain for WPCentral. After this there was the post that this app will be published, which I find okay. However, following this 'presentation' there was a long delay in which the developer just wasn't ready, and all the updates on the topic made by Rubino transformed him into "the inofficial spokesman of Instragraph" as written by another Windows Phone Blog.

Maybe the developers of Instragraph and Rubino should just have waited a little bit longer with starting to hype this application.

And finally there's the last problem: This app is a heavy workaround (for a pretty steep price, not measured by the effort put into making it possible, but in comparison to other platforms and the provided functionality) and it's even proudly emphasized that it does it in a way that can't be blocked by Instagram. Every blog except of WPCentral discussed this very controversially, Rubino didn't.

So did Rubino or WPCentral anything wrong? In my eyes not really. But did they do the coverage in a slightly awkward way that can make people think? Yes they did.

And let's not forget: The whole Instragram situation is very polarizing anyway, with three groups of people: The ones that really, really want it, the ones that really, really hate it, and the ones that just don't care. So controversial opinions should be expected from the beginning.

Garghas

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I think the first problem in all of this, was this teasing post and then the long void with no progress after it. I followed Rubino's coverage closely, and I don't think it was too much in general.

An exclusive teasing post like this creates interest (click bait), which generates revenue for the page. I really don't want to claim that this was the goal of his initial post, but it's something that led to financial gain for WPCentral. After this there was the post that this app will be published, which I find okay. However, following this 'presentation' there was a long delay in which the developer just wasn't ready, and all the updates on the topic made by Rubino transformed him into "the inofficial spokesman of Instragraph" as written by another Windows Phone Blog.

Maybe the developers of Instragraph and Rubino should just have waited a little bit longer with starting to hype this application.

And finally there's the last problem: This app is a heavy workaround (for a pretty steep price, not measured by the effort put into making it possible, but in comparison to other platforms and the provided functionality) and it's even proudly emphasized that it does it in a way that can't be blocked by Instagram. Every blog except of WPCentral discussed this very controversially, Rubino didn't.

So did Rubino or WPCentral anything wrong? In my eyes not really. But did they do the coverage in a slightly awkward way that can make people think? Yes they did.

And let's not forget: The whole Instragram situation is very polarizing anyway, with three groups of people: The ones that really, really want it, the ones that really, really hate it, and the ones that just don't care. So controversial opinions should be expected from the beginning.

This post expresses everything I think about this all situation
+1

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
This post expresses everything I think about this all situation
+1

I don't get it. A week or two (maybe more) ago, a post was made about a whatsapp update coming with fixes, new emoticons etc. It still has not been released as yet, but when it does, you can bet your bottom dollar WPCentral will have a post on it.

Does this mean they are biased to WhatsApp as well? Because this is basically the same "awkward coverage". Because right now, I'm very interested in the upcoming WhatsApp version.

Don't get why you guys can't be happy for the platform. This is a break for us. How are you so oblivious to this and on top of that have the audacity to say WPCentral is getting revenue because they announced a workaround for a (as some would say), "make or break app" for the platform?

Garghas

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't get it. A week or two (maybe more) ago, a post was made about a whatsapp update coming with fixes, new emoticons etc. It still has not been released as yet, but when it does, you can bet your bottom dollar WPCentral will have a post on it.

Does this mean they are biased to WhatsApp as well? Because this is basically the same "awkward coverage". Because right now, I'm very interested in the upcoming WhatsApp version.

Don't get why you guys can't be happy for the platform. This is a break for us. How are you so oblivious to this and on top of that have the audacity to say WPCentral is getting revenue because they announced a workaround for a (as some would say), "make or break app" for the platform?

This is not a breakthrough for anyone. It's an app that uploads photos, ONLY, same as bluestacks on pc, costs 2,49 to do that, and if anything only helps the others make fun of us.
Some friends of mine with Android and iOS were laughing, saying WP users are so desperate for apps that they even pay money for such a thing...

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
This is not a breakthrough for anyone. It's an app that uploads photos, ONLY, same as bluestacks on pc, costs 2,49 to do that, and if anything only helps the others make fun of us.
Some friends of mine with Android and iOS were laughing, saying WP users are so desperate for apps that they even pay money for such a thing...

If you bothered to read any of the WPCentral posts rather than quick to point fingers, you would know that an update will come to view as well. It's the first version.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

The main difference, at least for me, is that Whatsapp is an official and free app, while Instagraph is an expensive inofficial workaround (I've read 'hack' a few time on other pages) that didn't really work well in the beginning. There was an excess of bad coverage on other pages, and I think a lot of it was due to the hype created by WPCentral. A lot of it was probably based on a competitive thought and not really fair, unfortunately that doesn't change anything.

I am really not sure how much this situation helps the platform. But then again, I am just expressing my feelings towards this, that doesn't mean I am right.

Garghas

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
If you bothered to read any of the WPCentral posts rather than quick to point fingers, you would know that an update will come to view as well. It's the first version.

Ahhh yes, an update.
Eventually an update comes to everything in life I guess... We will be here to judge the date when that "update" arrives.

Just remember, oficial Instagram comes in May

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I just hope the developer responds to the questions that we have posted. When will the 3 limit upload be lifted.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos