Background Download App for WP8

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Does WP8 have any app which can download media files even after we minimize it ? Means, background download. UC Browser and get them all can't do that. They become paused whenever I minimize them.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Nope. Whenever you leave an app Windows Phone 8 suspends the app so it doesn't run in the background.

Incorrect. Background file downloads is something WP can do. The developer just needs to use the feature, similar to background audio or background navigation.

However, I don't know of any such app either.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Incorrect. Background file downloads is something WP can do. The developer just needs to use the feature, similar to background audio or background navigation.

However, I don't know of any such app either.

I stand corrected. I was almost correct in that apps are mostly suspended but some can run in the background. One such app that I have on my 920 (that I'd forgotten about) is called Amazing Music which allows the downloading of music for offline use. It carries on downloading in the background even if you close the app down. However, the app is no longer published sadly.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/amazing-music/8ede40f3-957a-4532-97d5-da5fd4d4b07e

There is another similar app from the same publisher called Mixtapes cloud that might work the same as Amazing music.

Free Mixtapes Cloud | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United Kingdom)

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
That's a shame we don't have such app. UC Browser has powerful download manager. Any developer here can grab this opportunity to create such app. Such lack of useful apps can harm the plateform, MS should let the users download from IE, just like its desktop brother.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
That's a shame we don't have such app. UC Browser has powerful download manager. Any developer here can grab this opportunity to create such app. Such lack of useful apps can harm the plateform, MS should let the users download from IE, just like its desktop brother.

Did you try the Mixtapes Cloud app I linked to? It looks very similar to the Amazing Music app by the same publisher.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Did you try the Mixtapes Cloud app I linked to? It looks very similar to the Amazing Music app by the same publisher.

Nokia Music is similar app, but it can't download the files from other sites, we want a download manager or a browser with such built in capacity. Nokia has done a lot to make MS' wrong a right.

P.S. Instead buying Nokia, MS should hand over WP team to Nokia, Nokia would make it the best platform ever on this planet. Such restriction won't gain MS users in developing countries where people are still on 2G and don't have PC to transfer music to phones. Wake Up MS, US is not the only Market....

Boris Gong

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

We are adding this feature. Should be available in 2months
The reason we didn't do it before is it can only download files less than 20 MB on data connection. Larger than that , you will need WiFi
And files larger than 50 MB will need to connect to power.

What making it worse: Some sites do not provide file size on download, that will force power +WiFi no matter how small the file was.

It can be embarrassing to use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720