Any decent news apps with a good live tile?

ash29k

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Ever since BBC news mobile got the sack there seem to be no decent live tile news apps, can someone please refer a decent one (not cnn please) that has a working live tile.. There are many good apps but they all seem to lack live tiles which is pretty dumb considering windows phone uses live tiles as its selling point... Ps, cannot get weave tile to work, any clues?

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
You could try Nokia Reading which has a news feed that can be pinned to your start screen as a Live Tile. Works well for me. Weave is also working well for me too so I'm not too sure why the Live Tile isn't working for you unless Weave has been blocked from running as a background task. Have a look in Settings then swipe left to Applications and tap on Background tasks. Check to see if Weave is allowed to run as a background task.

ash29k

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
You could try Nokia Reading which has a news feed that can be pinned to your start screen as a Live Tile. Works well for me. Weave is also working well for me too so I'm not too sure why the Live Tile isn't working for you unless Weave has been blocked from running as a background task. Have a look in Settings then swipe left to Applications and tap on Background tasks. Check to see if Weave is allowed to run as a background task.

thanks mate will check it out, as for weave, I have bg tasks active but the tile does not update, just static with the weave logo and if I try pin a feed I get the whoops! message... Odd...

Pants, the Nokia app not on my marketplace....

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Ever since BBC news mobile got the sack there seem to be no decent live tile news apps, can someone please refer a decent one (not cnn please) that has a working live tile.. There are many good apps but they all seem to lack live tiles which is pretty dumb considering windows phone uses live tiles as its selling point... Ps, cannot get weave tile to work, any clues?

NBC news just launched a few days ago. It has live tiles as well. Great images and videos too! :)

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site

Try unpinning the Weave tile, disabling it in background tasks (with check to re-enable on next start), then clearing IE history/cache and launch Weave again to once again re-enable the background task. Pin and see if it works normal again. If not, try to uninstall it, then clear IE history, restart the phone and reinstall/pin.

ash29k

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Try unpinning the Weave tile, disabling it in background tasks (with check to re-enable on next start), then clearing IE history/cache and launch Weave again to once again re-enable the background task. Pin and see if it works normal again. If not, try to uninstall it, then clear IE history, restart the phone and reinstall/pin.
Cheers will try now...

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Al Jazeera English just came out with a WP8 version of their app. It has a functional live tile (not double wide), but the app itself is pretty solid (note, this is different from the WP7 version covered by this website): Al Jazeera | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Honestly, if you're a fan of BBC's international news coverage, I'd reckon you'd be OK with AJE since it has many old school BBC reporters and journalists, and seems to cover world affairs in a familiar enough manner. Though I do wish AJE was stronger in their business and sports coverage but oh well.

ash29k

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
For some reason I cannot find AJE in the marketplace... I much prefer the European world news viewpoints with RT and BBC being my goto apps..

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Al Jazeera English just came out with a WP8 version of their app. It has a functional live tile (not double wide), but the app itself is pretty solid (note, this is different from the WP7 version covered by this website): Al Jazeera | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Honestly, if you're a fan of BBC's international news coverage, I'd reckon you'd be OK with AJE since it has many old school BBC reporters and journalists, and seems to cover world affairs in a familiar enough manner. Though I do wish AJE was stronger in their business and sports coverage but oh well.

It seems as though my Al Jazeera tile isn't live...is yours? I have WP 8...

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I just wish news apps like USA Today, CNN, AP Mobile and NBC News focused more on bringing more headlines to the wide live tile (like the BBC News Mobile app) instead of simply displaying a huge logo on one side. I get it, they need the logo there, but it could be smaller, and they could give us the option of having multiple headlines displayed.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I just wish news apps like USA Today, CNN, AP Mobile and NBC News focused more on bringing more headlines to the wide live tile (like the BBC News Mobile app) instead of simply displaying a huge logo on one side. I get it, they need the logo there, but it could be smaller, and they could give us the option of having multiple headlines displayed.

The CNN wide tile shows the headline related to the pic on the flip side. Not sure about NBC, haven't tried it in wide mode yet.

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
The CNN wide tile shows the headline related to the pic on the flip side. Not sure about NBC, haven't tried it in wide mode yet.
I meant more than just one headline. The WPCentral app's wide live tile is a perfect example. Have the main news article's image and headline on the front (the headline text can be overlaid on the image, I think Weave's wide tile does something similar) and 2 to 3 different headlines on the flip. Now that kind of tile would give 3 to 4 times more information at just a glance. This would however require reducing the size of their logo, which I doubt they'll ever do.
Edit: The NBC News app's wide tile shows the logo on the front and just the main news article's image on the back - no headline at all.
Edit: Sorry to digress though.

ash29k

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I agree, BBC news mobile should be a standard bench mark for any and all news apps, having one top story per day on a live tile is just plain stupid, many thing happen throughout the day and having a headline like "Tesco's leaves the US" on your SS all day is just irritating....

ash29k

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Is the NBC app working for you guy? It's not opening on my 820. Tried reinstalling it and same problem

Nah, does not work well... I just spoke to the RT dev team, they tell me they are working on live tiles for the RT News app! Finally, real news on a live tile... I am using Breaking News at the moment until Weave is sorted, I got a tweet from them saying they are having server probs and are fixing it now so the live tile should work soon...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99