News Apps

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
My current favourite is Newser, simple interface with many features and give you the most important news with nice live tile.
Collector is great still debating to purchase or not.. Fuse is still pretty good too.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
News360 is the top of the line for news readers on WP8. Bar None.

AP
app gets an honorable mention. Mainly because I just got my hands on it and my initial assessment of it says that with the exception of the ad box at the bottom, which I hate, it ain't half bad. But its early yet.

I like MSN app too. Its great when I'm in the mood for light reading.

AppyGeek was trying to be awesome at one time. Now it starts and crashes. Still not bad on Windows 8 but on my L920, not so much anymore.

Sports news. ESPN Hub. Its just good.
Newser has my attention. Just not my time yet. It feels like a good port to me but I'm keeping it. I think they have some surprises to come

Collector
is the most promising news reader I've tried. I like the lay out and the design but the fetch could be snappier. Seems the app should prefetch the article but it doesn't. There is a delay to bringing the article up to read it. Its probably just a maturity thing but if they could fix that, it would be awesome.

One other app I do like quite a lot is The Verge by MasterDevs. (don't accept imitations of this app) Now THESE boys got skills. They could blow out a majority of newsreader apps if they would apply what they do to a pure newsreader. Prefetch is lightning fast and the layout is easy peasy. I'm hoping MasterDev's would hook up with what Bing is offering in its latest update to the desktop. A Bing newsreader app like that on my phone would be the bomb.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
News360 is the top of the line for news readers on WP8. Bar None.

AP
app gets an honorable mention. Mainly because I just got my hands on it and my initial assessment of it says that with the exception of the ad box at the bottom, which I hate, it ain't half bad. But its early yet.

I like MSN app too. Its great when I'm in the mood for light reading.

AppyGeek was trying to be awesome at one time. Now it starts and crashes. Still not bad on Windows 8 but on my L920, not so much anymore.

Sports news. ESPN Hub. Its just good.
Newser has my attention. Just not my time yet. It feels like a good port to me but I'm keeping it. I think they have some surprises to come

Collector
is the most promising news reader I've tried. I like the lay out and the design but the fetch could be snappier. Seems the app should prefetch the article but it doesn't. There is a delay to bringing the article up to read it. Its probably just a maturity thing but if they could fix that, it would be awesome.

One other app I do like quite a lot is The Verge by MasterDevs. (don't accept imitations of this app) Now THESE boys got skills. They could blow out a majority of newsreader apps if they would apply what they do to a pure newsreader. Prefetch is lightning fast and the layout is easy peasy. I'm hoping MasterDev's would hook up with what Bing is offering in its latest update to the desktop. A Bing newsreader app like that on my phone would be the bomb.
I would've downloaded News360 for my WP8 if they still support WP, but the last update on Oct 31/2012 shows that either they stopped supporting or there is a certain lack of support here..
Trying out The Verge

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I would've downloaded News360 for my WP8 if they still support WP, but the last update on Oct 31/2012 shows that either they stopped supporting or there is a certain lack of support here..
Trying out The Verge

Get it anyway. Its still well done and runs smooth on WP8. Not sure when they will update again but even as it is, not much beats them. I might send them an email to inquire.

Last edited:

mcivor88

Banned
Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
The bbc should be ashamed of themselves. A man made a great app in his own time for free and they force him to remove it.

It actually really angers me that we HAVE to pay for a tv license for the BBC. Scum!

MangoGuy

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
The bbc should be ashamed of themselves. A man made a great app in his own time for free and they force him to remove it.

It actually really angers me that we HAVE to pay for a tv license for the BBC. Scum!

I 100% agree with you but the bbc offer the best news coverage that I have found

Ron Gramann

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I have just submitted an unofficial Huffington Post Reader app called Huffy for certification. Here are some screenshots. Hopefully will be through the lines by the weekend.

Weave is excellent. You also have The Daily Beast, which is pretty off-beat, but decent app. CNN is also good. I tend to use Weave more than anything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)