05-17-2013 08:31 AM
29 12
tools
    Hello all,

I am looking for a news app for WP8, since the loss of the BBC app there not much arround that I can find, and most of them such as the ITN one hasn't been updated in some time, does anyone know of any good ones that are availble?

Cheers
    Martin
    04-20-2013 03:59 AM
    Try Sky News (though no live tile) or The Guardian. Nokia Reading also has a news stream with live tiles, but the only news sources I can find that actually load the article in the app (rather than going to the browser) are The Guardian and Metro.co.uk.

I actually use WebApps and just pin BBC News and The Guardian Mobile site to my Start screen.
    deadwrong03 and MangoGuy like this.
    04-20-2013 04:25 AM
    NBC news app just came out.
    MangoGuy likes this.
    04-20-2013 04:29 AM
    CNN is good
    MangoGuy likes this.
    04-20-2013 04:48 AM
    news360
    budney and MangoGuy like this.
    04-20-2013 04:51 AM
    Thanks guys i'll check them all out
    04-20-2013 07:18 AM
    Was looking for one with uk news, shame there is no bbc one anymore
    mcivor88 likes this.
    04-20-2013 10:12 AM
    I have Sky News installed on my phone.
    MangoGuy likes this.
    04-20-2013 10:34 AM
    Try Weave. Has BBC, UPI, Guardian, many more.
    MangoGuy likes this.
    04-21-2013 12:18 PM
    It is a shame that the cnn app doesn't have more uk news, I love the live tile in this app
    04-21-2013 01:43 PM
    It is a shame that the cnn app doesn't have more uk news, I love the live tile in this app
    Fully agree.... There is also Blomberg for finance. I use the browser for most other news. And 20minuten and Blick for Swiss Local news. Swissquote is cool to keep an eye on all Stockmarkets.
    MangoGuy likes this.
    04-21-2013 01:52 PM
    I agree the BBC app was a great feed with the regional and topic customizations.
    Al Jazeerha is the best feed behind BBC for my money. Or to put it better complimented BBC well.
    Bloomberg has a considerable amount of news and customizations. Best looking news app in my book once you look past the defualt Finance set up.
    Fuse and Newsers are good aggregators.
    Weave is OK likely the best bet for UK Customizations. I may try to import the various BBC RSS feeds into Fuse.
    MangoGuy likes this.
    04-21-2013 02:04 PM
    Thanks guys, will give al jazeerha a go, have tried fuse it is a good app but I'm not to keen on the ui
    04-21-2013 05:19 PM
    I love weave but have recently switched to fuse. I love the interface on fuse.
    04-21-2013 05:27 PM
    Lets just hope either the bbc or bing release an app with wp8 features 😊
    04-21-2013 05:39 PM
    Russia today has three apps a news app a live stream app and an app with both the first two are kept because they perform better on windows phone 7.
    04-21-2013 05:42 PM
    CNN is a great app. Weave is ok too. TLDR Reader is worth a look as well.
    04-22-2013 11:34 AM
    Thanks, I think I'm just going to leave it for have tried them all some have good features some don't, I am after something with a good live tile and up to date uk news
    04-22-2013 04:41 PM
    Has anyone used Collector
    04-22-2013 05:46 PM
    Has anyone used Collector
    yeah its brilliant for aggregating news with a flipboard like interface and social integration
    04-29-2013 05:17 PM
    My current favourite is Newser, simple interface with many features and give you the most important news with nice live tile.
    Collector is great still debating to purchase or not.. Fuse is still pretty good too.
    04-29-2013 08:03 PM
    News360 is the top of the line for news readers on WP8. Bar None.

AP
    app gets an honorable mention. Mainly because I just got my hands on it and my initial assessment of it says that with the exception of the ad box at the bottom, which I hate, it ain't half bad. But its early yet.

I like MSN app too. Its great when I'm in the mood for light reading.

AppyGeek was trying to be awesome at one time. Now it starts and crashes. Still not bad on Windows 8 but on my L920, not so much anymore.

Sports news. ESPN Hub. Its just good.
    Newser has my attention. Just not my time yet. It feels like a good port to me but I'm keeping it. I think they have some surprises to come

Collector
    is the most promising news reader I've tried. I like the lay out and the design but the fetch could be snappier. Seems the app should prefetch the article but it doesn't. There is a delay to bringing the article up to read it. Its probably just a maturity thing but if they could fix that, it would be awesome.

One other app I do like quite a lot is The Verge by MasterDevs. (don't accept imitations of this app) Now THESE boys got skills. They could blow out a majority of newsreader apps if they would apply what they do to a pure newsreader. Prefetch is lightning fast and the layout is easy peasy. I'm hoping MasterDev's would hook up with what Bing is offering in its latest update to the desktop. A Bing newsreader app like that on my phone would be the bomb.
    04-29-2013 08:48 PM
    News360 is the top of the line for news readers on WP8. Bar None.

AP
    app gets an honorable mention. Mainly because I just got my hands on it and my initial assessment of it says that with the exception of the ad box at the bottom, which I hate, it ain't half bad. But its early yet.

I like MSN app too. Its great when I'm in the mood for light reading.

AppyGeek was trying to be awesome at one time. Now it starts and crashes. Still not bad on Windows 8 but on my L920, not so much anymore.

Sports news. ESPN Hub. Its just good.
    Newser has my attention. Just not my time yet. It feels like a good port to me but I'm keeping it. I think they have some surprises to come

Collector
    is the most promising news reader I've tried. I like the lay out and the design but the fetch could be snappier. Seems the app should prefetch the article but it doesn't. There is a delay to bringing the article up to read it. Its probably just a maturity thing but if they could fix that, it would be awesome.

One other app I do like quite a lot is The Verge by MasterDevs. (don't accept imitations of this app) Now THESE boys got skills. They could blow out a majority of newsreader apps if they would apply what they do to a pure newsreader. Prefetch is lightning fast and the layout is easy peasy. I'm hoping MasterDev's would hook up with what Bing is offering in its latest update to the desktop. A Bing newsreader app like that on my phone would be the bomb.
    I would've downloaded News360 for my WP8 if they still support WP, but the last update on Oct 31/2012 shows that either they stopped supporting or there is a certain lack of support here..
    Trying out The Verge
    04-29-2013 10:57 PM
    I would've downloaded News360 for my WP8 if they still support WP, but the last update on Oct 31/2012 shows that either they stopped supporting or there is a certain lack of support here..
    Trying out The Verge
    Get it anyway. Its still well done and runs smooth on WP8. Not sure when they will update again but even as it is, not much beats them. I might send them an email to inquire.
    Last edited by Techblogger; 04-30-2013 at 01:31 AM.
    04-30-2013 01:01 AM
    Lets just hope wp blue brings bing news, wp doesn't really have any decent news apps which is very disappointing
    05-06-2013 08:31 AM
29 12