Viber loses connection?

Didytz

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I am not sure if it is something wrong that I do but I have problem with Viber. It is not always case but lot of time when I connect to WiFi and try to call someone via Viber, it tells me that I need internet connection even it is allready connected. Then I need to open Internet Explorer and load some pages and try again with viber. Also I notice that it is happening if phone is not used for longer period of time. It seems like WiFi goes to sleep or better Viber thinks that there are no more WiFi connection even it is not case and I can use without problem any other application that needs internet connection.

I just feel that something is not set right but can't find any option about connetion or so in Viber.

P.S.
I am using lumia 920

Last edited:

Viber

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi there,
I'm an official Viber representative here in the forum. I'm here to help :)

It could be that the network you are connected to is blocking Viber's traffic.

1. First, please try uninstalling and reinstalling Viber when connecting to a few different WiFi networks (in order to pinpoint the source of the problem). What are the results?
2. Also, please make sure the following ports are enabled ("forwarded") on your routers or firewalls:
TCP: 5242 + 4244
UDP: 5243 + 9785

(if you are not sure how to enable ports, you may contact your router manufacturer)

* If it still fails, please specify what country you're located in, and which cellular network you're subscribed to.

nutnithin

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Okies I was going to make a new thread but then found this one..why,dont my contacts sync on my Lumia 920 even though they are perfectly fine on my Lumia 620? Both bought and being,used in the UAE using,the same service provider..

Viber

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Okies I was going to make a new thread but then found this one..why,dont my contacts sync on my Lumia 920 even though they are perfectly fine on my Lumia 620? Both bought and being,used in the UAE using,the same service provider..

The authorities in the UAE have decided to block Viber in the whole country, and that is why you are experiencing this issue. Unfortunately there is not much we can do to help :(
You may try contacting the authorities and ask for the reason for this block.

nutnithin

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
They why are contacts being displayed properly on my Lumia 620???I,know,viber won't,work but atleast contacts sync..on the 920, even that doesn't work...

Didytz

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Hey Viber and tnx for reply.

I don't think that my problem is related to internet and my connection because it is working OK when I do something else on my phone (like opening web page, read email or so). But today I enabled option "Keep WiFi on when screen times out and so far it seem that Viber is catching internet connection without any problem. Not sure yet if problem is fixed because I did this change recently but will test it in next few days.

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. Viber worked very fine with Wifi (always on). But it's absolutely unreliable when using mobile network connection, sometime it notifies in time, sometime the delay's up to 5-10 minutes. Wake up phone after sleeping about 15-30 minutes while using mobile data and immediately call Viber will result with not internet connection error (while it's there)

I don't know if this is WP8's issue for not keeping mobile data always on or it's Viber's issue

Viber

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
@nutnithin -

Have you tried the new update in Market Place?

@Didytz -

This could certainly have been the problem then. When we try to help on a certain issue, we try to go with the most common problem source first ;)
The fact that it works now strengthens the possibility that this is not a Viber-related problem.

@
Dratwister -

Sometimes 3G reception could be low, and this is something we cannot control. Naturally this affects Viber's call quality and results in disruptions and broken sound.
We are continuously trying to improve our handling of 3G, so you can expect better performance as newer versions of Viber are released.

Please note that having full 3G reception doesn't mean your internet's bandwidth is at the maximum expected. When you see a "full reception bar", it merely means that physically, your phone is covered with the cellular signal.

When it comes to the bandwidth itself, your connection could still be slow due to various different reasons, such as being in an area with many other users from the same provider, thus congesting the network.

Meanwhile, WiFi- WiFi calls on Viber should generally be very clear and are free of such disruptions.

Orlok1138

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
The authorities in the UAE have decided to block Viber in the whole country, and that is why you are experiencing this issue. Unfortunately there is not much we can do to help :(
You may try contacting the authorities and ask for the reason for this block.

It's not letting me connect to Facebook, I just keep getting a error message.

nutnithin

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
@nutnithin -

@Didytz -

This could certainly have been the problem then. When we try to help on a certain issue, we try to go with the most common problem source first ;)
The fact that it works now strengthens the possibility that this is not a Viber-related problem.

@
Dratwister -

Sometimes 3G reception could be low, and this is something we cannot control. Naturally this affects Viber's call quality and results in disruptions and broken sound.
We are continuously trying to improve our handling of 3G, so you can expect better performance as newer versions of Viber are released.

Please note that having full 3G reception doesn't mean your internet's bandwidth is at the maximum expected. When you see a "full reception bar", it merely means that physically, your phone is covered with the cellular signal.

When it comes to the bandwidth itself, your connection could still be slow due to various different reasons, such as being in an area with many other users from the same provider, thus congesting the network.

Meanwhile, WiFi- WiFi calls on Viber should generally be very clear and are free of such disruptions.

its working now!!!!! finally i get to use it properly..thank you..:)

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
@nutnithin -

@Didytz -

@
Dratwister -

Thank you for reply :) I thought the same thing too. And in my country, there's a rumor of a "hack" for mobile users to steal signal power from surrounding...

Viber

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

We are excited and proud to announce that we have just released a brand new product: Viber Desktop, as well as a major new update to our mobile application: Viber 3.0 for iOS and Android.
(New updates for our Windows Phone application is coming soon)

- What is Viber Desktop?

Viber for Windows/Mac lets you send free messages and make free calls to other Viber users, on any device and network, in any country!
Viber syncs your contacts, messages and call history with your mobile device, so you can start the conversation on the Viber mobile application and continue from the comfort of your PC.

In Viber Desktop you can find HD-quality voice calls, video calls, text and photo messaging, group conversations, and many more!
You can check out the cool tutorial for Viber Desktop here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEqS5W-KfRw
Download Viber, enter your phone number, and start connecting with your friends for free, from your computer!

Best regards,
the Viber Team.

dulitjo

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: Viber desktop shows offline

Hi there,

I installed viber on my blackberry bold 9900 and works well. I then installed it on my windows 7 desktop, twice already, and it shows offline. It also does not load any of my contacts.
Of course, my connectivity is perfect and skype and everything else works flawlessly. What can i try to fix this? thanks, Joaquin

Viber

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Viber desktop shows offline

Hi there,

I installed viber on my blackberry bold 9900 and works well. I then installed it on my windows 7 desktop, twice already, and it shows offline. It also does not load any of my contacts.
Of course, my connectivity is perfect and skype and everything else works flawlessly. What can i try to fix this? thanks, Joaquin

Hi,
Thanks for the report of the problem.

Have you made sure that you have the latest version of Viber, both in your Blackberry and your computer?
Also, it could be that the network you are connected to is blocking Viber's traffic.

1. First, please try uninstalling and reinstalling Viber when connecting to a few different WiFi networks (in order to pinpoint the source of the problem). What are the results?
2. Also, please make sure the following ports are enabled ("forwarded") on your routers or firewalls:
TCP: 5242 + 4244
UDP: 5243 + 9785

(if you are not sure how to enable ports, you may contact your router manufacturer or your Internet Service Provider)

azhar bangash

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Bro I m having the same issueeeeeeeeeeeee.. I m using lumia 920
Viber works OK on wifi but as soon I Disconnect my Wifi and turns EDGE viber get disconnected .. please Help !!!

Viber

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Bro I m having the same issueeeeeeeeeeeee.. I m using lumia 920
Viber works OK on wifi but as soon I Disconnect my Wifi and turns EDGE viber get disconnected .. please Help !!!

Hi,
Please note that Viber does not officially support EDGE. We support 3G and 4G. This may be the reason for the problem you're experiencing.

se7ensense7en

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I am living in Vietnam. Viber was working about a month ago. There are currently a lot of complaints about viber has stopped working completely via wifi. It takes very long time indicating that the messages are being delivered and the whole things end in "not sending". People believe that some ISPs have blocked OTT as such software is threatening the income of network carriers. Besides, some local companies who are in close relationship with ISPs and Network carriers have released made-in-Vietnam OTT apps.

Is there any way that viber could live in peace with the others?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb