The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
05-20-2013 02:54 AM
178 12345 ...
tools
    for what kind of notification? tags/likes or messages?
    A comment after mine.
    04-30-2013 02:35 PM
    This is 100x better. The current Facebook app was pretty bad.. very bad actually. When i would pull up my Facebook feed on my PC, or on the official iOS or Android app, they would never be the same. The current Windows Phone app (and the People tile) had all kinds of extra crap filling up my feed that I I would never see on the official apps.

Now this new beta app totally matches all the others. Fanfrickentastic.
    04-30-2013 02:44 PM
    not by writing "@amy..." you can only tag so that it says "with amy" at the end
    so only in the statuses? Or u mean u can say with that person in the comments now?
    04-30-2013 02:56 PM
    They shouldn't bring back the banner image or break any of the FB's internal UI conventions.
    Cross quoting myself from another thread:

No one will switch TO WP just because it has a better banner image
    People WILL switch AWAY from WP if some of their core apps do not have the requisite functionality or are non-intuitive
    And I'll also post here to disagree. Of course it is not about the banner image. It is about functionality and good design; you seem to be mistaking consistency for intuitiveness. A metro-style WP app could be every bit as intuitive and easy to use without mimicking the iOS and Android app designs. If apps look the same across platforms then WP gives up an opportunity to differentiate itself through UI design.

I think it is more important to have consistency within an OS (and across apps within that OS) than it is have a single app look the same across different operating systems. Is a WP user more likely to use multiple apps on his/her phone, or to use the same app across WP and iOS/Android?
    04-30-2013 03:15 PM
    Much much better but it still does the one thing that drives me nuts. If I view a post on my news feed and back out back to the news feed it refreshes and goes all the way back to the top. Drives me crazy.
    04-30-2013 04:01 PM
    Mines so slow to load the news feed, i sometimes have to change the setting newsfeed top stories or most recent to get it to load my news feed ( still waiting for it to load) is this just mine or is it really this slow ???
    04-30-2013 04:13 PM
    Loads fast for me. I can't like or post to stuff put directly on my timeline and I can't do tags or reshare alot. I just keep reporting the bugs.
    04-30-2013 04:14 PM
    I just keep reporting the bugs
    how do you report bugs ??
    04-30-2013 04:19 PM
    Go to settings, then about and hit feedback. The email is big and gets slow sometime (they attach the logs) but worth typing this stuff up and sending them the logs.
    Laura Knotek and bozza72 like this.
    04-30-2013 04:20 PM
    Just got three toast notifications in sync with Facebook :)
    04-30-2013 04:34 PM
    Hey guys does this new beta have page manager functions?
    I am an admin of a pay with 20k followers.
    I really need this feature.
    04-30-2013 04:36 PM
    I don't like the design at all, it looks so boring, the blue top bar is ugly! Their old design was nice, I loved it, at least they could have shrink the top bar from the old design instead of implementing this one. No modern UI design, I won't comment on fluidity because I don't see one, in comparison with the people hub this works kinda slow.
    It's good that they work on fb app, but unfortunately on the design part it is in the wrong direction.
    What I noticed in my short experience with the beta app is that:
    -at first no news feed, had to go to settings of news feed to show what is recent, doesn't know top stories.
    -at chat, when you go on the typing area, the pulling of the screen upwards is laggy
    -pictures load in more than 2 seconds (and trust me I have a good connection).
    -when you look at a picture in landscape mode it will show on the side of the screen a part of "favorites people"

Pretty much that's it, I uninstalled it, my principle is that I don't use apps that I don't like how they look :D
    Anyway, before this beta I wasn't even using fb app, the people hub is enough for me.
    04-30-2013 04:48 PM
    I like the gestures...
    04-30-2013 04:57 PM
    And I'll also post here to disagree. Of course it is not about the banner image. It is about functionality and good design; you seem to be mistaking consistency for intuitiveness. A metro-style WP app could be every bit as intuitive and easy to use without mimicking the iOS and Android app designs. If apps look the same across platforms then WP gives up an opportunity to differentiate itself through UI design.

I think it is more important to have consistency within an OS (and across apps within that OS) than it is have a single app look the same across different operating systems. Is a WP user more likely to use multiple apps on his/her phone, or to use the same app across WP and iOS/Android?
    I posted a pretty detailed reply here:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...tm#post1963785

To be very specific over here: Differentiation is only good when its demonstrably and perceivably better. Differentiation is a weakness if its worse or even equal.
    Consistency and intuitiveness are very much linked especially considering that the UI conventions in the new app aren't just a copy of another platform, it is FB's own UI which it uses on its own web platform agnostic properties. This isn't Android/iOS invading WP. It's FB on WP with FB's own conventions in an FB app.

As I explained at length in the linked post, Metro has its strengths and weakness and it fails completely with complex UI and content heavy apps that cannot easily be segmented into panorama/pivot buckets. You are not going to see a Metro Photoshop, FB, Word or Excel with Panoramas and Pivots anytime soon. This is inherent to Metro. It simplifies, spaces out and uses background imagery to provide vibrance.

I have also elaborated on why most apps SHOULD conform to OS design whereas certain super/killer apps *shouldn't*. Any app that is the centerpiece of a users experience or is core to their life or in general is more important to the user than the OS itself and with which a user might have extensive prior experience on other platforms or the web should forge its own path (this could vary from user to user but apps like FB, Whatsapp, Skype, Word etc can typically fall into this category)

Bottom line: These apps are more important than OS. Consumers buy phones to get to these apps and to be able to accomplish tasks with them. They typically don't make choices on OS without thinking about whether it will work with their apps and services.

Check out the Music player example for where I think Metro gets it exactly right despite being not as "good" in strict UI terms. (Metro music player looks better than Android/iOS and functions just as well despite not having its controls as clearly distinct as other platforms). The post also details why this new FB Beta app is Metro done just right as opposed to being differentiation for sake of differentiation. Metro is woven into the new FB app right into the details. The squared edges, the lack of faux 3D, lack of drop shadows, consistency with system fonts etc. This is Metro, understated. As opposed to twisting and shoehorning FB's established conventions and puking Metro all over it
    James8561 likes this.
    04-30-2013 05:03 PM
    Can you quit argueing about the design? You have other threads for that...

Now I am missing notifications. Damn toast being flaky.
    04-30-2013 05:14 PM
    this app is so frikin fast, sleek, and awesome. I'm so happy right now. Windows Phone rulez!
    12Danny123 likes this.
    04-30-2013 06:44 PM
    this app is so frikin fast, sleek, and awesome. I'm so happy right now. Windows Phone rulez!
    I second that!!!! This new facebook has me all smiles!!! Fast, smooth, and everything i need. I actualy look foward to checking facebook in an app now, instead of going to the mobile website on my phone. WP8 for L1f3!!
    12Danny123 and James8561 like this.
    04-30-2013 06:51 PM
    So far im really liking it! Havent en-counted any bugs so far.

Who cares if it looks the same as the other OS's, just makes it easier for other users to use if switching over. As long as it does everything we want it to, bring it on!!!
    04-30-2013 07:23 PM
    I heard there was a third party page app

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/st...2-1bb4de86192c

unfortunately it's 99 cents but it's worth it :-)
    04-30-2013 08:07 PM

If the app works, who cares how it looks.
    04-30-2013 08:22 PM
    I like it so far, in general. Looks much better than the previous one. But I noticed that when you have a long post/message in inbox or news feed, unlike the older version pressing "See more" or "Continue reading" will direct you to the browser instead. Hope the release version will fix this.
    04-30-2013 08:56 PM
    It is very nice one, but ...

1. Can not save photos to phone

2. Can not send a photo through chatting (Facebook Messenger can do that)

3. Missing refresh by push up in a message (do not suggest me to shake my cp)
    04-30-2013 08:59 PM
    I like it so far, in general. Looks much better than the previous one. But I noticed that when you have a long post/message in inbox or news feed, unlike the older version pressing "See more" or "Continue reading" will direct you to the browser instead. Hope the release version will fix this.
    it's not redirecting me o.O when i hit "see more" it continues inside the app! you should report this to MS, prolly a bug! just go to settings - about - feedback :D

edit: just shared my 1st post, soooo happy ;-; i missed sharing a lot, this is great <3
    Last edited by nessinhaw; 05-01-2013 at 02:09 AM.
    04-30-2013 10:50 PM
    don't know why all the arguing... this app actually works /debate lol
    markfern811 likes this.
    05-01-2013 03:44 AM
    YES!!!! To bad I can not download the Beta app in England.

Anyone know when this app will be released?
    Yes you can, via the WPCentral app at least.
    05-01-2013 04:22 AM
178 12345 ...