New Facebook App for WP8! Finally!!

Nick Garza

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I like the beta because being a "metro restyling" of the mobile site it has all fb functions, including account settings.
I dislike any fb app that makes you need a computer for specific actions
They could have added everything this
beta has and kept the unique consistent design of the previous app ( improving it for larger thumbnails and easier access to things like likes etc.... ). And it still wont be as fully featured as the android/iOS apps because its not official. Just looks that way.

Now everytime I open one of my most used apps it jars me out of the WP experience because it is a slightly more flat android design. And if I wanted that, I would stay with android, they have a ton more apps, always will.

Shimoner01

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry that 'chat heads' is awful. Why would you want a friends face following you everywhere on your phone.

To me that's some weird creepy s*ite, I'll stick to toast notifications, at least I won't have see some friends strange profile pics.

It follows you with a chat bar, presumably you are thinking of something else. If you are chatting on fb through any medium, you see their face, hard to see why that would bother anyone. Also, you can move the bar wherever on screen so its never in your way. Besides, you swipe the bar off screen whenever you're done.

Nick Garza

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
^^IMO, the home screen with live tiles is the WP experience. Not whether some app looks "Metro" or not.

its all part of it. I would guess that's why the vast majority of iOS apps, or the good ones at least, look like the belong on an iPhone. Now, when I use one of my most used ( and previously one if the nicest looking apps ) I get stabbed in the eyes with android. The functionality wont improve much, and what has been fixed in the redesign could have been fixed in the previous app. Better use of space and larger thumbnails and its perfect.
Something like this

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-IkQZ8IpFa...600/instagram windows phone fan concept 2.png
But smarter.

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Same issue with my Lumia 920 and beta fb app. New app looks great, but i've just uninstalled it because of killing battery.

Did you guys still have the old version installed as well? I also had a drop in battery performance after installing the beta; however I now removed to original app, leaving the beta to see how it goes.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
It follows you with a chat bar, presumably you are thinking of something else. If you are chatting on fb through any medium, you see their face, hard to see why that would bother anyone. Also, you can move the bar wherever on screen so its never in your way. Besides, you swipe the bar off screen whenever you're done.

Yes I know what they are mate, and what I'm on about is them silly round circles with profile pictures that pop up, and in my case some friends have strange pics. And as far as I'm aware, they follow you through your phone until you answer or swipe them away.

Therefore, I'll stick with toast notifications to message people back, instead of seeing strange profile pics.

It's quite simple: the message toasts > I press it > read it > message back > press back button > carry on with what I'm doing.... Instead of several chat heads popping up all over my screen.

It wouldn't surprise me if Facebook start attaching adverts with those silly gimmicks -- so yes they do bother me. If I wanted to see friends faces and body parts all the time, then I would move in with them, and share their bed -- if you feel that you need to see your friends faces several times a day, then go for it.

At least toast notifications don't interrupt my screen, and I don't have to swipe them away either

Last edited:

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Facebook 5.0.1.1 is available! The very first beta update!

As usual, no changelogs! but here is what i noticed:

- app feels faster now
- comments are now shown from oldest (top) to newest (bottom) and it takes you right to the newest comment at the bottom of the post
- now supports accent characters
- edit: reinstalling the app fixed the live tile!

so has anyone noticed anything else fixed (or broken) with this new update?

Last edited:

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
pictures with long descriptions.

howdo we get to read the whole decription? only get a few lines and it ends with.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb