To all Weather Live users

hyperisecom

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
For the dear users of Weather Live, I am sorry to say that, as of now, Weather Live is hidden in Windows Phone Store.

As the developer of Weather Live, I have been experienced many ups and downs. Lost many sleeps, but also had some ecstasies? It was a little depressing when clicking the ?hide this app? link, which means the start of the end for this little venture. However, I guess this is in some sense a good thing.

When I started working on Weather Live, there were not many Weather applications on the marketplace. That?s what gave me the impetus of creating a ?true? Metro app for the community. Thanks in no small part to WPCentral?s introduction, which caught me by surprise BTW, the little app received a warm welcome and quickly reached the top of the chart in Marketplace under its category. And that?s when the pains and excitements started?

Since I uses Weather Underground service, I am naturally paying their service fees. After the initial discount period ended, however, I started to lose money. I tried several ways in order to attract more users. I finally resorted to switching it from a paid app with free trials to free app with in-app purchase. While the number of downloads significantly increased, the revenue stays low (or even lower). It finally reached a point where the API calls constantly exceed WUnderground service plan and I would have to change to a higher plan. Hence the situation I am in now: Unless I can increase the paying users by some six folds, this little app will never be able to be profitable.

Of course, there maybe some other things I can try before capitulating, such as turning off new WP7.8 users (because WP7.8 does not offer in-app purchase), or sprinkle purchase links throughout the app. I feel these experiments will either worsens user experience, or causes confusion, but ultimately not be good enough. This is not only a Weather Live, but also a market size problem. You only have that many Windows Phone users?

Thanks to all who voted for Weather Live in the Next App Star contest, and I am sorry to let you down. There are many good weather apps in store now so I am sure that you will find something that suits your need, and taste.

I plan to continue serving existing users until August of this year. After that, if you paid for it within 2013, you can contact me through the feedback link in the app so I can refund you the purchase price, less the portion Microsoft took.

?If you're lost and alone, or you're sinking like a stone, carry on.
May your past be the sound of your feet upon the ground, carry on? - Fun.

- Rong

BigOlErn

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
NOOOOOO!!!
Yours is, by far, my favorite weather app. There are many reasons for this, but the live tile design, especially, is killer!
Is there any chance you could just use a different service, other than WU, for the app's data?

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I remember when you first released WeatherLive it was the only good app that used WU, and it was the best overall weather app by far. Now things are a little better in the marketplace but I'll still be sad to see WeatherLive go. Sorry to hear that you couldn't cover your costs anymore. Thanks for making a great app!

farukdgn

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for you :( although I haven't even seen your app I'm really sorry. I hope you find a way to continue developing something.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I used to love Weather Live and it was the first weather app I purchased. I did drop it though once it was updated because it was requiring me to purchase it again to remove the ads. (I did try to click to remove the ads, but it was trying to charge me again)

Even though your app ticked me off, I am sorry to see you go.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
That's a real shame. Your app was/is one of the best of its kind and I was happy to pay for the in-app purchases.

I wish you all the best for the future and I sincerely hope WUnderground review their policies to prevent other developers from getting in the same situation as well as hopefully encouraging you to change your mind :)

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I guess I missed this thread when it was opened. I'm sad to hear this, as WL was one of my favorite weather apps on wp7. It also underlines the fact that, although I love the WP platform as a user, if I was a dev I wouldn't even consider it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6