any way to avoid rebuying apps after changing MS account?

scallywag6

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Just upgraded from a trophy to a 928. I took the opportunity to phase out my hotmail account, and used my outlook account to activate the new phone. It wasn't until hours later that it dawned on me that all of my app purchases are linked to my hotmail account.

Am I going to have to repurchase all of my apps, or is there a way to link the accounts or something similar to recognize my purchase history?

p.s. 928 is schweet!

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Why did you not just turn your Hotmail into an Outlook account and then add the Alias that you wanted to use?

If you were scallywag6@hotmail.com you can easily change that to scallywag6@outlook.com through their process. But if you want people to be able to email you at MrWag@outlook.com, you just add that as an alias (and your sign-in remains the same).

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
No, you can't move over your app purchases. The way I see it, you have three options:

1) Hard reset the phone, set up main MS account on phone as the Hotmail one, use the outlook account for email and everything else (i.e. don't sync email from Hotmail account)

2) Go to your Hotmail account and do an actual "rename" of the account, and make it an @outlook.com address. No, it won't be able to be the same outlook address you already have, unless you delete that account and wait 270 days. Hard reset the phone, and put your newly renamed account, still intact with old purchases (which may take up to 72 hours to show up I think), as the main MS account

3) Repurchase all of your apps

Edit:
4th option: You'll still have to hard reset, but you don't even have to rename your account if you don't want to. You can just add an alias to the Hotmail account, it could be outlook.com if you prefer, and then use that alias as the main MS account for the phone. It has the same password as the main account, but you wouldn't have to change a thing and can be assured everything remains the same. I'm not 100% sure how aliases work as main MS accounts on WP, but my assumption is that they just feed off of the main account, since they use the same password and all. Either way, you can use this alias to sign in with and just pretend the Hotmail.com account doesn't exist.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb