Are Nokia HERE Maps and HERE Transit useless in India?

anon(5650876)

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
The Nokia HERE Maps lacks many POIs. Frankly speaking, Google Maps are much accurate, with many POIs. What to do with Offline Maps, if you can't find a place in it (even when connected online). Also search algorithm of HERE Maps is awful, many times shows places many miles away from actual.

What I like is the UI. Very simple, elegant UI for a Maps app. Google Maps app looks cluttered, and those ads.

I added many new places in my city using Map maker, but HERE team, never approves them. On the other hand, I added only one place in Google Maps and it got approved soon.

What do you think, HERE Maps is a "complete" maps solution? Bcoz, many rely on gmaps pro for maps, for finding POIs.

And HERE Transit lacks upto date data.

vinu_h

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
HERE works well in urban areas. I always add destination(s) to My collection in HERE maps from my laptop before stepping out. That's the best way to use it.

I have found HERE's maps creator to be awful. It doesn't have as many POI's; but neither can we depend on Google entirely for directions in India. They give us an approximate and we almost always have to add our tweaks to it.

anon(5650876)

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
HERE works well in urban areas. I always add destination(s) to My collection in HERE maps from my laptop before stepping out. That's the best way to use it.

I have found HERE's maps creator to be awful. It doesn't have as many POI's; but neither can we depend on Google entirely for directions in India. They give us an approximate and we almost always have to add our tweaks to it.

HERE Maps shows less Bus route:

Capture2.JPG HERE Maps shows only 2 transit routes.

Capture.JPG Google Maps shows 4 transit routes.

Reliability and Accuracy of HERE Maps

Capture3.JPGCapture4.JPG

See the Bus route near the Final destination point (White & Black flag), the route goes right through a Cricket Stadium! And that too, in BOTH THE ROUTES!

against Google Maps (again shows more bus transit routes for same destination)

Capture5.JPGCapture6.JPGCapture7.JPGCapture8.JPG

When is Nokia gonna improve their maps, I wonder.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Google's maps will always be the best for countries like India. One reason is because of Google Mapmaker, the second is because they have literally thousands of people looking at satellite photos and correcting maps based on those. I don't think any other company has the infrastructure to do this.

anon(5650876)

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Google's maps will always be the best for countries like India. One reason is because of Google Mapmaker, the second is because they have literally thousands of people looking at satellite photos and correcting maps based on those. I don't think any other company has the infrastructure to do this.

Yes, I guess. In India, majority of the people don't even know about HERE Maps, let alone making maps.

The techies update Google Maps only because Google Maps already has a great system of approving new added places.

I added just one place in Google Maps, and Google sent me an email after 30 days that my place edit got approved.

But I added so many places in HERE Maps, and they didn't approve atleast one, after 2 months.

Offline Maps does not seem a big them, as now many have a internet plan on their smartphone.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I've never had trouble using here maps / here drive+ in Mumbai. Its been flawless. I've seen errors with google maps on my computer, and then used here maps to get to the correct destination. I've even used it in Pune city and found it accurate. I was lost in a town off the highway, and the people in the town couldn't direct me, but the maps got it right.

ktl88

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I use HERE maps and transit in Chennai and Pondicherry. Its pretty accurate.
Yes, nokia doesn't approve places we add. If they do, it would be helpful.
But do remember that in India, the buses don't follow a routine time as in developed countries. Hence the accuracy will make a difference in India. Nokia can't do much in this sector.

Tathagat Kumar

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Oh yes, India is a developing country of course. But then Google Maps gets it right...probably they have some special abilities that give them the power to serve developing market consumers well. Unfortunately Nokia doesn't.
Nokia's Here Maps is the most disgusting mapping application I've used. It's at least 12 years old. The apartment complex I live in has been occupied for about 10 years now. Google Maps clearly shows the place, but Here Maps!! Here maps shows a village road that existed at the same location 15 years back. It actually shows directions that use the non-existent village road. I'm thoroughly disappointed with Nokia's mapping app. Android is way way better.

rajamass

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I agree the coverage is better in Google Maps, they have intensive programs to map things manually and submit them to google in various colleges

Here Transit works fine for me

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
never used HERE Transit actually. dunno about that. but the Maps is a nice app. i am Nokia Fan actually, and using Nokia Maps since very long, way before A-GPS was working in India.
never had any problems with Maps. it is damn useful and serves the purpose.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
weird most peole have got error with google maps...i have been using here maps aka nokia maps from many years...from days of N8 or even before that...in bombays it works flawless...and wen ever i travel i download maps of that country and it takes me where i wanna go...here maps has been the most acurate for me

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon