first of all, Imma huge windows phone fan
    the tiles r so lovely, I don't even wanna switch to iOS or Android at all.
    BUT there is sth bothering me....

SKYPE!

SKYPE on PC, iOS and Android can receive and send files (photos, videos)
    ubt on windows phone, the only thing it works is to text chat and video chat....
    what's wrong with SKYPE owned by Microsoft????

P.S.
    So do WHATSAPP and LINE
    these two apps on windows phone can only receive videos and watch them, BUT u can't save the files at all.
    06-08-2013 10:52 PM
    iOS, Android, and even Mac (yep, desktop OS) can all send recorded voice messages to someone while they're offline via Skype... like voicemail. But no Microsoft-developed OS can do this.

Adding insult to injury, I'm also fairly sure these features were added well after the Skype acquisition. Ridiculous.
    06-08-2013 10:55 PM
    Actually the Skype update on Windows 8 added that feature last week, I'm sure wp8 update is coming shortly
    Mystictrust likes this.
    06-08-2013 11:13 PM
    Skype PREVIEW for Blackberry can transfer files too. Do you believe?
    Twitter@Firas_MD likes this.
    06-08-2013 11:33 PM
    Skype PREVIEW for Blackberry can transfer files too. Do you believe?

that means Microsoft doesn't give a damn about SKYPE on its own platform AT ALL.
    averdadesalvara likes this.
    06-09-2013 04:41 AM
    Indeed. MS is letting down their own OS.
    06-09-2013 04:50 AM
    that means Microsoft doesn't give a damn about SKYPE on its own platform AT ALL.
    Indeed. MS is letting down their own OS.
    It's for the same reason a lot of other major apps are crap or missing completely on WP; market share! Even for Microsoft, it's not worth spending time developing an app that virtually nobody will use.
    06-09-2013 11:31 AM
    I hate to say this and I really don't wanna switch to Android....BUT Microsoft n Windows Phone r keep pushing me away.... so many useful apps don't come to Windows Phone and even its own product SKYPE r so crappy.... but i just cannot leave tiles and windows phone's UI....
    06-09-2013 08:22 PM
    I hate to say this and I really don't wanna switch to Android....BUT Microsoft n Windows Phone r keep pushing me away.... so many useful apps don't come to Windows Phone and even its own product SKYPE r so crappy.... but i just cannot leave tiles and windows phone's UI....
    I know what will make you feel better...do some research on how well Microsoft supported windows phone, and how many popular apps came consecutively about a year and a half ago and compare it to like ever since 5 months ago, right away you will see both Microsoft helping windows phone and popular apps coming have improved so much since back in the day
    Laura Knotek and Jazmac like this.
    06-09-2013 08:52 PM
    I know what will make you feel better...do some research on how well Microsoft supported windows phone, and how many popular apps came consecutively about a year and a half ago and compare it to like ever since 5 months ago, right away you will see both Microsoft helping windows phone and popular apps coming have improved so much since back in the day
    what about its own product SKYPE.... it has been released for a while, but till now, still can't compete with SKYPE on other OS
    06-09-2013 09:48 PM
    what about its own product SKYPE.... it has been released for a while, but till now, still can't compete with SKYPE on other OS
    And?

Skype was doing absolutely nothing with WP, until taken over. Yet their iOS/Android/Windows offerings are having huge battles to remain the top application.

As such, when Microsoft fully took over, they won't have taken staff off the key projects to work on WP, they'll have hired new developers, it takes time to learn about Skypes technologies, it takes time to learn about developing for WP. The Skype app is progressively getting better, and is at last useable. Its only a matter of time until it catches up to the competition. At which point we'll start being the ones who get new features first.

Lets not forget, Blackberry (as mentioned previously on this thread), runs applications which are 99% Android applications, so its a piece of cake to make an app for Blackberry.
    06-09-2013 11:53 PM
    Lets not forget, Blackberry (as mentioned previously on this thread), runs applications which are 99% Android applications, so its a piece of cake to make an app for Blackberry.
    so that means making an app for windows phone is actually harder than making an app for Blackberry? If this is true, then I think I know why most of the developers aren't willing to make apps for windows phone, coz it's hard and it takes too much time

:-(
    06-10-2013 04:18 AM
    In a way, for BB a dev mostly needs to port his app with very slight under the hood changes, WP doesn't run java apps, they have their own reasons, jvm being slow, laggy etc, WP apps are written mainly in C# or VB so even the simplest of apps need to be written from scratch for WP. plus the fact that APIs are very limited as compared to Android seems to turn off devs. I feel like WP8 is like Android 2.2 in terms of APIs available. It will improve but in how much time we dont know. MS made it future ready with shared kernel, code, directx 11 etc but somehow WP is still not ready for present.
    so that means making an app for windows phone is actually harder than making an app for Blackberry? If this is true, then I think I know why most of the developers aren't willing to make apps for windows phone, coz it's hard and it takes too much time

Last edited by Vaibhav Chauhan; 06-10-2013 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Spellcheck. :P
    06-10-2013 04:45 AM
    And?

Lets talk about that "piece of cake" because believe me, that's some OLD cake. You would have to suspend reality and believe a return to 2.3 Gingerbread as well as pretend having an android packager can supplant an app developed for the platform. I've been there and it is really bad as the good stuff you might want to run on your blackberry will not run.
    06-10-2013 08:52 AM

It takes almost no time to port apps from android to blackberry BUT since 85% of the developers that do that they don't support the app a little more to clear out bugs, and that makes those apps suck on blackberry
    06-10-2013 08:25 PM