Long exposure photo app

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking to take pics of the night time sky. Can anyone recommend an app that will take those really long exposures? I bought an app, but the longest it supports is 4 seconds. I'm thinking something along the lines of 30 sec or so. Thanks all!

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

Yes.

ExposureCamera doesn't have a try-before-you-buy option. I know it's only $2, but I'd like to see if it even works before paying for it.

Shuttermate and Night Exposure are simply calulators, they don't actually control the camera.

As for the last one, Dental Health, did you even read the description? I'm not even sure WHY this one shows up with this search critera.

I know how to do a search, and I know how to read the descriptions. Thanks for trying to help though.

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes.

ExposureCamera doesn't have a try-before-you-buy option. I know it's only $2, but I'd like to see if it even works before paying for it.

Shuttermate and Night Exposure are simply calulators, they don't actually control the camera.

As for the last one, Dental Health, did you even read the description? I'm not even sure WHY this one shows up with this search critera.

I know how to do a search, and I know how to read the descriptions. Thanks for trying to help though.

Just bought ExposureCamera and I will test it today and tonight to see how it works and I will report back.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
ProShot may be one to look at. Developer is responsive on these forums, and it does have exposure options. Not sure if it will have the options you require though.

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I have ProShot on a Nokia 920. On that phone, it's limited to max 4 secs. IIRC I think the developer said it's a limit of the hardware. Some other phone brands can't even do 4 secs.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
ProShot may be one to look at. Developer is responsive on these forums, and it does have exposure options. Not sure if it will have the options you require though.

I think ProShot's dev is one of the BEST around and they are VERY responsive, but I didn't want to ask for a capability just for me. I thought about asking for this ability, but didn't know how complicated it would be to incorporate everything necessary to carry this out.

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Believe me, you will not be the only person looking for longer exposures in ProShot. I'd like it too. I'm pretty sure someone asked the developer for longer exposures somewhere in this 30 page thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-apps/215564-loving-proshot-camera-app.html and basically he said it was a hardware limitation (or was it an OS issue?). Go ahead and ask him again. Maybe we'd get another explanation.

It's true, the hardware is limited to 4 seconds (I believe this limitation is there due to concerns of overheating the image sensor during long exposures).
Any app that is currently out cannot do long exposures at full sensor resolution. The trick is to add together buffer grabs from a video feed to make the final image, but since video resolution is limited to 720 or 1080p, the final image can only be 720 or 1080p.

Hope that all made sense :)

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
It's true, the hardware is limited to 4 seconds (I believe this limitation is there due to concerns of overheating the image sensor during long exposures).
Any app that is currently out cannot do long exposures at full sensor resolution. The trick is to add together buffer grabs from a video feed to make the final image, but since video resolution is limited to 720 or 1080p, the final image can only be 720 or 1080p.

wouldn't taking several 4 sec shots then stacking them up in photoshop or sthing produce a simulated 16 secs exposure ?

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a photo expert, but I've seen one video do it this method. Where they take a series of images and then have software stack and blend the images together to make one composite image.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

Rise, so I think I found an app that will stack and merge the images, my question at this time is how would I set the camera with your app to take the images. I'm guessing 4sec exposure for sure. ISO 100? No flash? Infinite focus? Thanks!

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
wouldn't taking several 4 sec shots then stacking them up in photoshop or sthing produce a simulated 16 secs exposure ?

It would, but this hardware can't do that. There is a noticeable delay between shots, and that delay gets longer the longer the exposure

Rise, so I think I found an app that will stack and merge the images, my question at this time is how would I set the camera with your app to take the images. I'm guessing 4sec exposure for sure. ISO 100? No flash? Infinite focus? Thanks!

Yes, but just note that this won't work for light trails, as there is a long and unavoidable delay between shots. Also note: on most(?) WP phones, sliding manual focus all of the way to the right is actually past the infinite focus point (this is the same on many cheaper DSLR lenses). This is done during the hardware manufacturing process to compensate for heat that could expand components in the lens. In reality (in ProShot), your infinite focus spot may be somewhere around 90-95% on the MF slider.

I have yet to perform any exhaustive tests on this, just my observations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05