It's seems like the official Tumblr app has some sort of bug that's causing it to use up data like crazy. I had been getting frequent alerts from Verizon saying I'd used 50, 75, and as of today 90% of my limit and I knew I hadn't used that much. I checked data sense and it showed the tumblr app was well above every other app in usage.
    wp_20130614.png
    The app was last updated in late May and I know it didn't do this before then so it has to be something with the current release. A few of the reviews in the Store seem to confirm it's not just me.
    I think anyone who had it installed and is on a tiered data plan should avoid using it for the time being and make sure to send feedback to the devs telling them they need to fix it.
    06-14-2013 05:27 PM
    Wow that seems like a big bug! Did you send any feedback to the devs and do you know if it's been fixed since?
    07-28-2013 11:16 AM
    Damn, I wish I had Data Sense.

Fortunatelly my provider's support were able to check what apps used up most of my bandwidth in July.

Tumblr was the culprit, having sucked 1.2 GB via cellular. Costing me $78 AUD above my monthly cost.

I'm gonna email thier devs now.
    07-28-2013 07:47 PM
    Just noticed the same bug with my tumblr app...and I hadn't even signed in or set anything up yet. Still used over 2gb of data this month! I disabled its ability to run in background for now...
    08-21-2013 06:51 PM
    I noticed that it had been using a ton of data and had almost chalked it up to being a very image heavy service, but I checked periodically and caught it using up data when it hadn't even been opened after restarting the phone. Caught it using 4MB between checks, promptly uninstalled after catching it in the act like that.
    08-21-2013 08:24 PM
    I noticed the same thing when checking my datasense. I have a suspicion that it has something to do with its ability to display photos from your fees on your lock screen.

I've never used this but it makes me think it may be downloading every picture even though its not set to display them. I blocked tumblr from running as a background task and am going to see if that has any effect.
    09-15-2013 08:32 PM
    I think I've had the same problem as well. Have any of you noticed the problem after blocking background usage? Or should I just get rid of the app?
    01-13-2014 08:09 PM
    I think I've had the same problem as well. Have any of you noticed the problem after blocking background usage? Or should I just get rid of the app?
    I've had the Tumblr app blocked for background tasks since day one and I haven't had it suck up data unless I use it excessively
    01-14-2014 02:50 AM