So .. Skype breaks my heart again.

Twitter@Firas_MD

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Just got that on twitter that video messages is official now on all platforms ( again except WP ).
Been waiting for this day hoping Ms will actually do something about it .. But naaaah, this platform is not that important.

I'm not only talking about video messages.. Skype needs a big update.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Can't agree enough on this. Skype feels totally lack luster. There are millions of subscribers out there on WP, Windows7 and Windows 8. A good hefty update will be a welcome change.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
This is one of the main reasons I have been reluctant to switch over from Android - I love my Windows 8 PC, and Surface RT tablet, but the fact that Skype is Microsoft, why would they not receive video message support at the same time as the other platforms...smh

cndspec

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree with sueha. My gut feeling is that MS is going to be fully baking Skype into the OS in either the GDR2 or Blue update. They have stated numerous times that Skype will be at the center of their messaging and communications hub so that would lead us to believe that it will have core functionality within the OS.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I have to agree with sueha. My gut feeling is that MS is going to be fully baking Skype into the OS in either the GDR2 or Blue update. They have stated numerous times that Skype will be at the center of their messaging and communications hub so that would lead us to believe that it will have core functionality within the OS.

GDR2 is already on the Lumia 925, no builtin Skype there. So that leaves GDR3 or Blue which are due later on this year which means months where WP lacks a feature its competitors have using a Microsoft service. They could always add it to the app now and still bake it in later, if that is indeed their plan. They claim WP can receive and view video messages, shouldnt be that much extra to add sending to the app. Guess MS thought WP wasnt worth the effort.

Twitter@Firas_MD

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
If I could add things to this Skype app, they would be:
# The ability to send files ( photos and videos)
# video messages and voice messages
# new chat interface, much more like what's found in native messages app ( imagine a white wallpaper with cyan text boxes )
# more stats choices.. Available, busy, away and invisible.
# they really need to work on the live tile double wide and large sizes,to make it more functional and appearance sides.
# the number of dropped calles when I contact an android phone is too damn high.

# A sent/ delivered / read notifications would make this perfect. Can't see if someone is reading my chats or not.

These few things in sure can make Skype The major VoIP app for alot more users as its already has the best calling quality among others.

These just to name a few that came across my mind:)

What do you think of this? And what would you want to add...?!

Last edited:

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry, but that's such a ****** statement. The guy got fed up, he was trying to support the platform, calling android cartoony won't change the fact the WP (which I use and enjoy greatly) got left out again by an app from a company that is owned by MS. This is just added to a bucket of regular features that other platforms have and MS is missing. And yes I get that other platforms are older and took time to develop the said features, but Microsoft is playing catch-up and therefore should really accelerate their schedule.

It's cool to enjoy the platform and get behind it, but it's far from perfect and deserves a very healthy share of criticism. There is no need to put down other platforms in defense.
For me i love the platform and my 8x is the best hardware i got my hands on, id rather waite some some time on switching to cartoony android ;)

Twitter@Firas_MD

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry, but that's such a ****** statement. The guy got fed up, he was trying to support the platform, calling android cartoony won't change the fact the WP (which I use and enjoy greatly) got left out again by an app from a company that is owned by MS. This is just added to a bucket of regular features that other platforms have and MS is missing. And yes I get that other platforms are older and took time to develop the said features, but Microsoft is playing catch-up and therefore should really accelerate their schedule.

It's cool to enjoy the platform and get behind it, but it's far from perfect and deserves a very healthy share of criticism. There is no need to put down other platforms in defense.

I was just describing the way I feel about the other platform.
no doubt that WP is WAY behind other platforms in terms of apps and maybe features ( other than Notifications center) but I really can see a future in it. Call me a fan boy :) sometimes I think I'm taking it more than needed.

Got my hand on many phones till date .. Starting from BlackBerry through HTC sensation and the iPhone 4s... Here I found a good combination ( for me) between hardware and software, but as you mentioned, guys at Ms really needs to pay much more attention to their platform or they will start to take too much criticism.

chetan_merchant

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
This is absurd..really doubt the strategy makers at MS..
Such mistep creates negative publicity and doubt in current customers...
When MS can release a half baked OS aka WP8..why not release a half baked app n update later..
Why do WP users have to wait for releases months after an app has been released on various platforms..
MS has to, at a certain point give up this catch-up game and innovate ahead of other platforms, if it wants WP to be taken seriously...

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
This is absurd..really doubt the strategy makers at MS..
Such mistep creates negative publicity and doubt in current customers...
When MS can release a half baked OS aka WP8..why not release a half baked app n update later..
Why do WP users have to wait for releases months after an app has been released on various platforms..
MS has to, at a certain point give up this catch-up game and innovate ahead of other platforms, if it wants WP to be taken seriously...

I agree with all that, except the part about them playing a catch-up game. I'd say to do that you at least have to be playing the game first. They don't really seem to be doing much of anything, Nokia is doing it all for them.

If they're holding back features that people have been asking for for months/years, then that's a seriously flawed strategy. In the meantime people jump Ship.

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I've a feeling that MS is working on a complete revamp of the current Skype app just like they did for the Twitter app which was followed by the Facebook and both of them came out really good. But yea, it seems like they're ignoring WP8.

chetan_merchant

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I've a feeling that MS is working on a complete revamp of the current Skype app just like they did for the Twitter app which was followed by the Facebook and both of them came out really good. But yea, it seems like they're ignoring WP8.

Thats the issue folks...MS announced during the release of WP8 that Skype would be the main messaging app..running deep down into the OS...forget about that we dont have even a decent basic app 8 months from release...wake up MS

Twitter@Firas_MD

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site

hope what you are saying is true ...
New twitter/ Facebook apps are good so far.
And if you noticed that the new Nokia camera app requires the "GDR 2" to work .. Means that, the new update may give more functionality to the apps? Also remember that , this app can use the camera button, which support the theory.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm.... I can send a video message with my WP through Messaging, Email or through the Rooms. Not being able to send a video message through skype hardly seems like that big of a deal to me.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
It's not just about the functionality. MS is not sending a very good message to it's user base and to people thinking of switching. If there are strong reasons for not releasing this, maybe it should have been communicated.
Hmmm.... I can send a video message with my WP through Messaging, Email or through the Rooms. Not being able to send a video message through skype hardly seems like that big of a deal to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99