Is there a good music player app yet?

megauni

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Honestly,

I've tried pretty much every single music player on the store and they all sucked balls except this one.

Listen
just tried it. how can you say it... is slow to load music (15 seconds at each change of page) does not display the albumart, full of advertisements and every function asks to be bought.

nka203

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
just tried it. how can you say it... is slow to load music (15 seconds at each change of page) does not display the albumart, full of advertisements and every function asks to be bought.

...there's only 1 ad in the free version and pretty sure the only function that needs buy is "favorites"... my songs load instantly with album art and lyrics on Lumia 810 (w/ Class 10 microsd).

maybe your SD card needs formatting or didn't sync right, I know when I had a bunch of FLAC files in my SD card it would slow song changes significantly. either that or your phone is slow.

I know this is fastest music app because my nokia music and xbox apps are way slower than this.

Last edited:

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Honestly,

I've tried pretty much every single music player on the store and they all sucked balls except this one.

Listen
Listen | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

It's by far the fastest and smoothest "local" music player app with least glitches, and also has search function. Only thing it can't do is make playlists (I don't think any app does this, please let me know if you know one). Pretty much the only app I bought for the phone (There is free version with Ads)

I found the least painful way of syncing music is through MusicBee. I have a ton of FLACs OGG WAV songs on my Foobar 2000 on PC so I can't use WMP to sync (software limitation). You have to go to MusicBee's "Preferences" -> "Device" and enable MTP. From there you can make playlists, just drag and drop playlist files from Foobar, and sync to phone. It will encode other file types into high quality mp3 and is pretty fast, so is very easy.

Hope this helps, :wink:
Agreed, Listen is great, wish some of the previous layout can come back though, not sure about the new double tap screen

megauni

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
...there's only 1 ad in the free version and pretty sure the only function that needs buy is "favorites"... my songs load instantly with album art and lyrics on Lumia 810 (w/ Class 10 microsd).
maybe your SD card needs formatting or didn't sync right, I know when I had a bunch of FLAC files in my SD card it would slow song changes significantly. either that or your phone is slow.
I know this is fastest music app because my nokia music and xbox apps are way slower than this.

i have about 16 GB of music and nokia music load instantly!! Listen take about 15 seconds.. it's a lot (btw it's the same of standard music)
on listen i can't even create playlist or use fast foward/rewind..

JustinianIV

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to necro the thread, but I am curious if anything has been done about getting WP8 a music player that isn't ridiculously low-tech.

Basically, does it still look like this?
wp_ss_20131002_0001.jpg

megauni

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to necro the thread, but I am curious if anything has been done about getting WP8 a music player that isn't ridiculously low-tech.
Basically, does it still look like this?

Right now i'm trying Music Player Pro that Sistog advised a few posts ago and i really love the graphic.

Hi, i'm the developer of Music Player Pro. Why don't you give it a try?
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-apps/240808-music-player-pro.html

It can not make new playlist and sometimes there is a banner over the album art but i like it, it's really fast..

Talldog

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed that if you try to play a very large playlist (e.g. thousands of songs) using the built-in music hub player as well as other players like Music Player Pro and Listen, the phone freezes for some length of time, depending on the size of the playlist. Problem is, you can't get to the shuffle button until the phone unfreezes and the album view comes up. Nokia Music is the only app I've found that a) doesn't freeze on a very large playlist, and b) allows you to start the playlist with a "shuffle all" button. Does anyone know of any others?

Sistog

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed that if you try to play a very large playlist (e.g. thousands of songs) using the built-in music hub player as well as other players like Music Player Pro and Listen, the phone freezes for some length of time, depending on the size of the playlist. Problem is, you can't get to the shuffle button until the phone unfreezes and the album view comes up. Nokia Music is the only app I've found that a) doesn't freeze on a very large playlist, and b) allows you to start the playlist with a "shuffle all" button. Does anyone know of any others?

We have just sent an update of the Music Player Pro (2.0.4.0) which should make shuffle the playlist before play it in order to have a workaround to the problem. Let us know how it goes.

Talldog

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
We have just sent an update of the Music Player Pro (2.0.4.0) which should make shuffle the playlist before play it in order to have a workaround to the problem. Let us know how it goes.
I just got the new update, but I don't see where I can start the playlist on shuffle.

Sistog

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
if the shuffle is active in Music Player Pro, the playlist should start randomly. otherwise should start from the first item in the playlist.

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site

I dunno whether liking your complaint shows that I too know about it, or shows sadness at the music player's implementation. But yes I hardly got around 700 songs in my phone and it freezes for a second or two while it.

Goddamn it, my friends iphone4 loads around 5000 songs spontaneously.

I feel sad.

Talldog

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
if the shuffle is active in Music Player Pro, the playlist should start randomly. otherwise should start from the first item in the playlist.
My playlists are always starting at song 1 even when shuffle is turned on. Further, if you turn it off somewhere else, like to listen to a different playlist in order, you're back to the same problem. I just found an app called musicPlayer 8 that gets it almost right. It allows you to open the playlist without starting it, turn on shuffle and scroll down to something other than the first song before hitting the play button. It still freezes, but at least I'm not always stuck listening to the first 40 seconds of "Hells Bells". What a way to ruin a great song. If it could shuffle the first song by itself, it would be as close to perfect as you can get right now.

I dunno whether liking your complaint shows that I too know about it, or shows sadness at the music player's implementation. But yes I hardly got around 700 songs in my phone and it freezes for a second or two while it.
You should try a playlist with thousands of songs, or just playing all songs with a large library. It freezes there too. 4500 songs is about a 37 second freeze on my Lumia 822. And it's not just Music Player Pro. All music apps including the Music & Videos hub exhibit the same freezing behavior with the exception of Nokia Music. Problem is, I just want to listen to my music library. I don't want all that other stuff in Nokia Music. It wouldn't be so bad if I could have it start up in my library or at least at the screen that has the My Music link, but those options aren't available.

Benjamin Braddock

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
god i only wanted my windows phone so i could have more music and i regret my decision so much. it would be a perfect phone if it just had a good music player. i would spend ten dollars on a good one! i dont care!! i just want my album art!!! pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss