The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    I dont own any Windows mobile devices YET... I was curious how people find the Live Tiles. Does it bring a new user experience for you? Is it better than your standard apps? Thanks

Wassapps Team
    07-16-2013 02:43 PM
    I love them...some people complain that they get boring but it's not like you're going to stare at them all day, lol!

I used to have a Nokia N8 and have used Android. I liked the idea of widgets but they were spread across multiple pages and I found that beyond my home screen I rarely seen what half the widgets had to offer!

In WP, because you scroll up and down for the live tiles, I always catch info on a tile or two that I probably would've missed on widgets!

That's it...they just work.
    07-16-2013 02:50 PM
    Yeah I have an Android phone and you are right about the widgets. It would be nice to see them all the time on the Home screen with updates.
    07-16-2013 03:09 PM
    I don't like android widgets, I have the sense that they suck the phone performance.

I love Live Tiles, my screen looks cool and I have some info without opening the app, not like the bored iphone screen.
    07-16-2013 03:17 PM
    Live tiles really have limitless potential, but I don't feel like most apps utilize them to their full potential, except for maybe the built in apps that Windows has. I think eventually there will be more great live tile apps, developers just need to be creative with them.
    The thing I like about live tiles is the ability to make them not a live tile, if I chose to - by making them small icon size. That customizable ability is a huge selling point for me. I have a few apps that are full size, some medium and most of them small icon size.
    07-16-2013 03:58 PM
    They're okay, definitely superior to iOS. I prefer Android widgets though. You can interact directly with the phone via widgets (wifi/BT toggles, calendar data, flashlight etc) whereas this is not possible with live tiles.
    07-16-2013 04:04 PM
    I love the live tiles. I remember during my Android period I would often download and use a Windows Phone launcher and setup my 'live' tiles and keep it that way for a while.
    Widgets are gaudy and power-hungry. Static icons got boring, no matter how many times I themed them.
    Live tiles are just fresh and minimal. They look good and they're more informative.
    07-16-2013 04:05 PM
    I personally like the 'Live Tile' concept, though technically they are really 'Sleeping Tiles' as they only update every 30 minutes and are sleeping the rest of the time. The only thing is, i wish we had a little more freedom to customise/personalise/individualise them from a users perspective. Such as being able to choose the colours of individual tiles from a wider range of colours (or even a set of RGB sliders). Also the ability to choose the update timer for each individual tile, for example: i have my emails synchronised every 2 hours (would prefer 4 hours but app won't allow it), so would like the ability to have the tile updated every 2 (or 4 app permitting) hours, as it seems a waste to have it (the 'Sleeping Tile') update every 30 minutes when the mail app hasn't even check for mail yet, thus wasting a small amount of unnecessary battery power every 3 out of 4 updates, which could be avoided.
    Last edited by Tr00per; 07-16-2013 at 09:10 PM.
    psudotechzealot likes this.
    07-16-2013 05:57 PM
    I like live tiles. I wish there was a option to make the live tiles transparent, like sailfish OS. Maybe in WP8.1.
    07-17-2013 12:04 AM
    I'm a fan of the live tiles only that it is something different than the "normal" launch Icons that you find on other phones. The other thing that is nice about them is the ability of resizing and arraigning the way you want.
    07-17-2013 06:21 AM
    I dont own any Windows mobile devices YET... I was curious how people find the Live Tiles. Does it bring a new user experience for you? Is it better than your standard apps? Thanks

Wassapps Team
    I LOVE THEM... Sometimes when i'm at work, find myself looking at the live tiles flipping (pictures, weather)... Then i realize that i must keep working and stop adoring Windows Phone... hahah...
    07-17-2013 06:34 AM
    That's it...they just work.
    You're joking, right?

I think they look kinda cool. One thing I don't like is that if you get more than a few on your home screen they're not all visible. But there's really nothing to do about that.
    Jonathan Piferrer likes this.
    07-17-2013 07:00 AM
    I think they are excellent - I have got my home screen set up with 4 medium tiles all from my groups set up in the people hub - family, friends, work and twitterati. My screen always seems to be constantly updating with tweets, posts, messages or emails. All the information I need throughout the day in one place.
    Jonathan Piferrer likes this.
    07-17-2013 07:25 AM
    It really helps organise your life. Like most people, on top of my start screen i have the me tile, showing notifications from all social media, a weather tile to be prepared to go outside, the calendar/appointment to keep up to date with daily schedule (especially school's timetable and friend's birthdays), a tile for local bus schedule shortcut to my nearest bus stop (saves time navigating through the app) and other shortcuts. They all look different but have the same design language which makes them part of the same experience. People argue they are not different than normal app launcher, but for me, it makes my day easier. Everyday!
    07-17-2013 09:58 AM
    I love them. If there are problems, they are usually related to the app more than the OS. For certain kind of live tiles the minimum interval for them to fetch updates (30 mins I've heard?) can be a problem for some third party apps though, but generally speaking I love the live tiles. Sometimes I just find myself starting at either my Win 8/Surface start screen or my phones Start screen and just watch the news, people, pictures etc go around on my screen.

They can definitely still be improved, perhaps making an option for a widget-like live tiles, where you could fe. change songs or play/pause from the live tile.

But in short, I don't see myself going back to row of icons anytime soon lol.

I think it also allows for aesthethically nice start screens, where you can often well balance between functionality and nice features due to the resizeable tiles so that you always see some pretty pictures or people while also having access to the most important features to use, such as the basic call-feature, email, chat, etc..
    07-17-2013 10:13 AM