Decent Alarm Clock Nightstand app

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi all

Does anyone recommend a decent clock/alarm app that displays in landscape mode to replace a clock radio type display AND extinguishes all lights?
Preferably with an option to set your own alarm tone.

I use LED Clock at the moment which is great but as with all similar apps I've tried, the three WP hard buttons stay illuminated all the time.
I've made a cool Lego stand which has a fold down portion to obscure the three buttons at night :)grin:)but are there any that extinguish the lights permanently?

I contacted the LED Clock dev when I had it on WP7.8 and he said it was impossible to extinguish the lights via code, yet I've noticed they are off in some apps I use so is it possible in WP8?

Cheers

Chris

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about the alarm part, but wouldn't the glance screen do at least the clock part without the buttons glowing?

Kakes Kakes

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I believe you could try the Night Stand clock which works on similar lines. Does it dim all LED's I am not really sure.
There is a Lite version also which is Free but probably does not allow to set up alarms.

Night Stand Clock

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi Kakes. I tried this one last night and it doesn't dim the lights. It's not as nice looking as LED Clock either IMO, despite having a cool swipe to dim feature.

And if Glance times out as bozza72 says then it's not really any good!

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
There is no way to manipulate sensor buttons from inside the app. No API for that. So do not expect any application could do what you want

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Night Stand Clock doesn't dim the buttons for me and if this is not possible from an API point of view (as per Ray's posts then I can't see this being the case.)

But button dimming aside, try LED Clock;I rate it better than Night Stand Clock - the swipe dim is very cool but the digits are a bit ugly and lacks the colours and functionality of LED Clock.
My opinion.

Roll on Amber..!
(or rather roll out Amber)

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
This is my solution, in my custom Lego dock (still WIP)
Hinged tiled bar covers the buttons.

Apologies for photo, was taken with a (cough) iPhone 4S.

Had to wash my hands afterwards.. :winktongue:

Normal (LazyLens 20130717 094916 normal).jpg

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I believe you could try the Night Stand clock which works on similar lines. Does it dim all LED's I am not really sure.
There is a Lite version also which is Free but probably does not allow to set up alarms.

Night Stand Clock

Anybody know when this will be back? It appears to have been pulled from the app store. What happened was that there was an app update that caused the Night Stand Clock to immediately crash upon launch. For me anyway. So I uninstalled it planning to reinstall, but it was gone. It has been a few days now.

BTW, why can't this alarm clock play your own music and sounds as an alarm? The iOS version can. I've been looking through all other alarm clocks I can find on the app store and I cannot believe that there aren't a single other alarm clock outh there that looks even halfway nice. Night Stand Clock does (did) look incredibly good which more or less made up for a few missing features.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I emailed the devs yesterday and they said

"Fixed version already submitted to the store. Will be published later this week.Sorry for inconvenience."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa