How do you view animated gifs?

astromanluca

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
There don't appear to be any alternative image viewers to the built in Photos app. I've noticed that animated gifs will play just fine in various apps such as Internet Explorer and Imageboard Viewer, but once downloaded there is no way I've found to view them again. Photos doesn't play them and there's no option to open the file from the browser. I guess I could upload them to an image host and then use the browser from there, but that's kind of a ridiculous process to just view an animated gif that I know can be played by at least some apps already.

Are there any animated gif players or gallery browsers in the store that I'm missing?

astromanluca

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't have Cinemagraph actually. Can you even open files with it? I used to have it but I deleted it after I tried it and figured it wasn't for me.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I wrote a free GIF viewer for WP8, store link here.

It's a real shame this isn't baked into the OS given how popular GIFs still are, and how simple the file format is.

This is phenomenal, really. I might suggest different views: detailed list view, larger thumbnails view, etc. Also, sorting by folder would be appreciated. Also, list the app in the photo hub apps section. I hate to inundate you with requests but I think you should expand this into a photo hub replacement as best you can :)

Before this, the way I would view gifs is via the pixfolder app- which lets you create slideshows in powerpoint. So you import some gifs into pixfolder, export to pptx, and use powerpoint which supported GIF playback.

Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Tapatalk

LMKz

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
This is phenomenal, really. I might suggest different views: detailed list view, larger thumbnails view, etc. Also, sorting by folder would be appreciated. Also, list the app in the photo hub apps section. I hate to inundate you with requests but I think you should expand this into a photo hub replacement as best you can :)

Before this, the way I would view gifs is via the pixfolder app- which lets you create slideshows in powerpoint. So you import some gifs into pixfolder, export to pptx, and use powerpoint which supported GIF playback.

Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Tapatalk

Those are good ideas, I will implement the apps hub one right now as it is easy. As to whether I add any more functionality, it will depend on whether anybody supports the app by donating (button in next version). Also next version fixes bug which causes GIF framerate to be slower than it should be.

Thanks for the feedback.

LMKz

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I thought GIFs were handled by IE...

Yes IE will handle those on web pages, but once you download a .gif to your phone there is no way to play it back with animation. Which is what this app allows you to do. Same if you receive .gif by email or MMS.

LMKz

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
So far every GIF I've saved from SMS is converted to jpg in the process unfortunately.

Really? Works for me OK... Get small preview in conversation thread, then click to open full size, then save. Then open GIF Viewer app, should be very first thumbnail at top. Are you using built-in messaging app? As it seems that for 3rd party apps you can't save anything to the picture library other than a jpeg (believe me I tried).

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Built in SMS. I've only tried with my friend who is using android, and it's possible his phone is converting the gif to jpg before it gets to me.

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Gif Viewer is okay, but experiences a few errors quite often.
Here are the screenshots:

Sent from Tatooine using Tapatalk

Attachments

• wp_ss_20131125_0001.png
    wp_ss_20131125_0001.png
    90.9 KB · Views: 0
  • wp_ss_20131125_0002.png
    wp_ss_20131125_0002.png
    91.1 KB · Views: 0
  • wp_ss_20131125_0003.png
    wp_ss_20131125_0003.png
    102.5 KB · Views: 0
  • wp_ss_20131125_0004.png
    wp_ss_20131125_0004.png
    93.3 KB · Views: 0
  • wp_ss_20131125_0005.png
    wp_ss_20131125_0005.png
    99.3 KB · Views: 0
  • wp_ss_20131125_0006.png
    wp_ss_20131125_0006.png
    93.6 KB · Views: 0

LMKz

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Gif Viewer is okay, but experiences a few errors quite often.
Here are the screenshots:

Thanks a lot for reporting that. I did have some issues with out of memory exceptions, but thought I'd got rid of them all (works fine on my Lumia 1020, but that has 2GB). Is it any specific gif(s) causing the errors? If so, can you send me links to them so I can test.

Also I have a new version in certification which should be published in next few days, can you retest once updated?

Thanks

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
yeah, why not. :) I'll post links, so you can download them and check if its "gif specified". I've got 3 gifs saved, but no matter which one I open first or second; almost always receiving error when trying to open third gif in a row. :p

Of course I'll let you know how the things are going after upcoming update.

links:

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/awesome-aaron-ramsey-roulette-v-norwich-gif/

http://footballtweet.lockerdome.com/media/110008513#media/photos/110008513

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/11/boruc-giroud-arsenal-southampton/

LMKz

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
yeah, why not. :) I'll post links, so you can download them and check if its "gif specified". I've got 3 gifs saved, but no matter which one I open first or second; almost always receiving error when trying to open third gif in a row. :p

Of course I'll let you know how the things are going after upcoming update.

Great thanks, I will try on the emulator and see if I can find out what's happening.

LMKz

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site

Hi, I found the source of the OutOfMemory Exception. One of those gifs is 15MB downloaded. This translates into approx 133MB of uncompressed bitmap image data. The gif library I'm using doesn't free memory as it generates Images from the raw data, so you end up with approx 270MB allocated for that single .gif. The memory limit on 1GB devices such as yours is 300 MB, hence why it will eventually error, as it is right on the edge of its limit.

I have addressed this in two ways:
  • Free raw gif data as images are built
  • Specify that the app is a "high memory" app. This sets a higher memory ceiling as described here.

I can now view that large gif happily in the 512MB phone emulator. 1GB and 2GB phones should be able to open very large .gif files (if you can find them).

Thanks again for reporting this bug and including the actual dialogs. This will be in v1.2, as will wait for current update to go out before creating another with this fix.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Apparently HD Photo Viewer can open .gif as well.

Can gifs be saved through the browser, then?? I haven't actually tried to view any outside the browser yet.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Apparently HD Photo Viewer can open .gif as well.

Can gifs be saved through the browser, then?? I haven't actually tried to view any outside the browser yet.

Yes, and only from IE.

Apps can only write jpg- so if you save a png file from any app, it will be converted and renamed picture.png.jpg
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I've updated your app and still receiving following errors. :( Same conditions as before. 2 gifs in a row, trying to open third and....

Attachments

• wp_ss_20131127_0001.png
    wp_ss_20131127_0001.png
    101.6 KB · Views: 0
  • wp_ss_20131127_0002.png
    wp_ss_20131127_0002.png
    100.3 KB · Views: 0

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members