NAVIGON vs Copilot -or better wp8 GPS app?

mylfx

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Just got my lumia 1020, and used to use Garmin on iphone. Garmin has wp8 app but no offline maps, so need to find a good alternative:) Features I'm looking for: lane assistance, speed limit, real-time speed, offline maps of US & Canada.

I've spent some time comparing NAVIGON & Copilot. They both have lane assistance and speed limit. Cost for NAVIGON is $29.99, Copilot is $9.99. NAVIGON has only US maps and future map upgrade cost $20+ per 2 years. US & Canada maps in Copilot is free. So Copilot seems better.

Has anyone tried these 2 apps? Do they display real-time speed in addition to the speed limit? Any suggestions or thoughts? THANKS!

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried Here Drive? I would at least give it a shot to see if it meets your needs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

danj210

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Here Drive hands down without a doubt. Not only is it free but constantly updated and supported. Backed by Nokia, it won't get better than that.

ParoleGA

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried Here Drive? I would at least give it a shot to see if it meets your needs.

I second this. Here drive is pretty damn good. I like it much more than I liked Navigon on my iPhone. Gmaps has a slightly better UI imo, but not by much, and no offline maps and navigation. Those two features take it above even gmaps, for me. Give it a shot.

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I second this. Here drive is pretty damn good. I like it much more than I liked Navigon on my iPhone. Gmaps has a slightly better UI imo, but not by much, and no offline maps and navigation. Those two features take it above even gmaps, for me. Give it a shot.

The only thing I wish Drive had was the option to select multiple routes. Other than that I find it close to prefect.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I'm sorry, but Here Drive is horrible as an app. The maps are great and free, yes.

However, it's missing basic features present in competitors. Example, having a "traffic around me" option is useless, and traffic on my commute (during which I know tons of alternate routes, because I live and work in the area) doesn't help either. Still no rerouting of traffic for regular routes in general. There's no route overview. The point of interest data is horrible (Bing Maps even has better POIs).

The only thing it has going for it is that it's free. Nokia still has a ton of work to do to catch up. Now, for many, it might actually be good enough. The OP should definitely give it a try to see if it meets his needs. I mean, despite my complaints about it, I don't even drive to other places often enough to justify the cost of the other apps myself. But that doesn't mean it's even a good GPS app either. (Again, the maps themselves are great, I'm talking about solely the app).

As for the original question, from what I've seen, Copilot looks to be the better one of the two you're looking at, but again, I haven't bought any of the others.

ParoleGA

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry, but Here Drive is horrible as an app. The maps are great and free, yes.

However, it's missing basic features present in competitors. Example, having a "traffic around me" option is useless, and traffic on my commute (during which I know tons of alternate routes, because I live and work in the area) doesn't help either. Still no rerouting of traffic for regular routes in general. There's no route overview. The point of interest data is horrible (Bing Maps even has better POIs).

The only thing it has going for it is that it's free. Nokia still has a ton of work to do to catch up. Now, for many, it might actually be good enough. The OP should definitely give it a try to see if it meets his needs. I mean, despite my complaints about it, I don't even drive to other places often enough to justify the cost of the other apps myself. But that doesn't mean it's even a good GPS app either. (Again, the maps themselves are great, I'm talking about solely the app).

As for the original question, from what I've seen, Copilot looks to be the better one of the two you're looking at, but again, I haven't bought any of the others.

I guess different strokes for different folks. The traffic issue is meaningless to me. I have never found any that helped, in anyway. I live in Atlanta though, and traffic is everywhere, and main road options limited. But they are not much better than the radio - by the time you hear about it, you are either already in it, or it is already gone. So I don't use My Commute.

For POIs, City Lens or Here Maps are the apps, not Drive. Those are decent around here, but I assume it is regional. They aren't something I use a lot. I mostly just use Drive, for directions to known addresses, mostly for work stops. It does that very well.

All your points are valid, but not at all "voting issues" for me. Do other apps offer things that Drive doesn't? Sure. Would I trade offline maps and guidance (which those other apps don't have) for them? Not a chance.

Last edited:

Cindy_H

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I would also suggest you check out Here Drive, which should already be installed on your phone. Works flawlessly for me.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I have both Here Drive Plus and Navigon. Both use maps from Navteq ( owned by Nokia) as do most all other GPS systems (Bing, Mapquest, Yahoo, Garmon, ...) The main difference is in the software. Navigon has been more expensive in the past but definitely worth it. Full of all the features you want, and more. Here Drive would be my pick for 2nd place, over all others.

Last edited:

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
There is a difference between "Here Maps" app and "Here Drive Plus" app. There might even be a different "Here Drive" app for non-Nokia phones.

I don't know anything about the Waze app but Google owns them (tracking?) and supposedly there is a beta app for Windows Phone 8?

Navigon with Navteq maps is a seriously good software.

thesmithiz

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
For me Here Drive is great. Besides being free the ability to download maps and not chew through data is a huge plus and for about anything I need....direction when trying to find someplace .......its perfect. And for the record I travel very frequently for work in the USA.

danj210

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
There is a difference between "Here Maps" app and "Here Drive Plus" app. There might even be a different "Here Drive" app for non-Nokia phones.

I don't know anything about the Waze app but Google owns them (tracking?) and supposedly there is a beta app for Windows Phone 8?

Navigon with Navteq maps is a seriously good software.

Didn't Nokia purchase Navteq a while back?

mmarksx19

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I have both Here Drive+ and Navigon on my Lumia 920. I often make long journeys so use sat nav a lot. One big issue I found with Navigon is that I can't stream music through bluetooth from my phone at the same time, it stutters so I assume Navigon is using up all the processor power. Here Drive+ has no such issues.

Michael

Berilon

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I really want to like here maps, but i have two complains:

1. I am missing the N/S/W/E when switching Highways. If I'm in an area which i don't know, it would be helpful to know which direction to go.
2. Traffic integrations is lacking. I would love to see a traffic integration with alternate routes like Inrix or Google maps on android. The my commute feature only works after i introduced all the routes to Here drive.

D4pp3rD4n

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
i used to think HERE was sufficient, but the turn by turn directions are terribly off. i just came back from a road trip that took me across 4 states and i can't tell you how many times the HERE app was wrong - and bad wrong. why doesn't GMaps+ have turn-by-turn directions? is it that difficult to implement in the code? i just downloaded MapQuest and will give it a shot. we need Google Maps & Navigator for WP8!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes