Do I have to buy a number to use Skype?

tallarob

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I've had my Nokia 928 for a couple of months now but have never setup Skype. I started to do so, including buying $10 worth of Skype credit, and then I came to the part where you select a Skype number. I selected a number and then I was told that it would cost me $60/yr to keep this number. Is that correct? Do I have to pay that amount yearly in order to use Skype? I kind of figured that Skype was Microsoft's equivalent of iOS's Facetime. I'm thinking maybe that's not the case!

Sekyal

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Skype sets up like a messenger program. Your contacts need to be using it as well. As long as you have added each other, you should be able to "call" each other within. You can simply chat, or use voice/video. It is done through the internet, there is no real "call" unless you were using the telephone number aspect.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what you are trying to say, but what I know is:

Skype to Skype is free, except for group video calls. (messenger style)

Skype to cell/ land network and vise versa, not free, and not available to every country, and the side using Skype is using it over the internet (wifi/ 3g).

tallarob

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Playing around with it, it seems like I would go to "Add People" and enter a name or email address and, as long as that person is registered, their name would come up and I could "Skype" them for free. My question was how to find the name or number of the person I wanted to call. I think I have figured it out. Does that sound right ?

eroselim

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Definitely. It's just like a messenger, you can't chat with them if they are not registered (obviously), and you can't have a video chat with them if they are not registered as well (obviously) , and

You can't do those things without them Installing skype themselves (Obviously) :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium