WP App Icon and UI Design

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I love this platform! And since I come from webOS, I mean that on the one hand regarding user experience. On the other hand, I know of no such functional, modern and well-designed operating system!

But what sometimes keeps me from buying or installing an app is it's icon design. The GUI is already as nearly as unified, but the tiles' look here and there is sometimes not too much Modern UI. Please do not take it personally :)

As I was searching for inspiration, I found this website:
Free Icons - Collection Of Simple Icons, Glyph and Flat Icons
Regarding Icon design inspiration and basic concept certainly a good place :)

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The app developers are given a bit more freedom for creating Live tiles. Hence we see the varied nature. But every tile/element of a first party app adheres to certain design philosophy and guidelines laid out. They not only make a unified experience they also make it very easy to use.

I mean as a developer the design guidelines really showed how to create modern apps. I think one should take a look at how windows phone is designed and how one should use it. https://dev.windowsphone.com/en-us/design

The icons are not just icons each icon is made in a certain way to convey something, the icons in the links are fine, but we already have thousands of icons for modern UI
FREE Vector Icons | Symbol Icons

It might be due to the developers decision to make his/her app a certain way.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I know, that's what 'icon' means ;) And it's not the in-app icons I'm talking about. Maybe the app's logo is a better term.

ya, I re-read my post, honestly looks a bit cheesy now. Anyway, yes, app's logo is better. I struggled to make one, used it and then legal issues forced me to use generic ones in my apps.

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, even Microsoft didn't do everything right! Huge People and Settings tile icon, way too small Messages' and Alarm Clock's ones ...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs