How safe are windows store apps?

jsmith2013

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Recently, I accidently found an app from app developer Malwaregeek in Windows store. Apps from Malwaregeek | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Most of his apps are priced a lot ($99.99 for example) without proper screenshots. They look more like a scam to me. I don't know how the apps got approved and published in Windows store. Though they won't harm me, these apps make me concern about the safety and review process of other apps in Windows store. How safe are windows store apps? Do you trust 3rd party apps?

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
Microsoft has laid out instructions to get your app certified, those instructions are pretty detailed. However there is no restriction on what price an app can be, hence you see developers like this setting whatever they wish.

I mean using commonsense it is pretty evident I wouldn't ever download these apps. The developer must have very dumb apps which pass certification because they don't fail any tests by Microsoft. Windows Store now is similar to App stores like Windows Phone store or iOS store, so you should find similar kind of rules applied.

The simple things to check are the reviews and screenshots and description. We have facts that Windows Phone store is one of the most secure stores in Mobile OS, but I don't think I read anything about Windows Store. But IMO pretty safe

jsmith2013

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. At first, I thought they didn't review properly & let everything go to increase the number of apps in store. Looks like I'm wrong.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. At first, I thought they didn't review properly & let everything go to increase the number of apps in store. Looks like I'm wrong.

You see increasing the apps is possible. You can see the same developer released more than 10 apps with nothing to achieve. I don't know why developers like these exist.I follow the three methods to check for the app validity as mentioned.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Stick to your common sense and you'll be fine.

It's happened before elsewhere. I think the iOS App Store had an app appear named Halo 4. Complete with a rip of the Xbox 360 exclusive game description, and screenshots that aren't even the right aspect ratio.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs