Port "farebot" to WP8 from Android

Malcolm Clement

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I had to use an Android phone for a little while last year and found the "farebot" app pretty useful - great to be able to check your transit card balance with NFC on your phone.

The code is open source but hasn't been ported to WP yet... anyone looking for a project?!

https://github.com/codebutler/farebot

Would love to see this app become reality!

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I have an ORCA card... I could do it.
I'm going to contact the developer (Eric) to know if someone is already working on it.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I just exchanged a couple of email with Eric, and it immediately pointed out that the app needs raw level access to the NFC protocol to be implemented.
Unfortunately, as usual, WP is locked as f*ck and the proximity APIs provides only the high level access.

Sorry dude.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Well thanks for looking into it...

MS is frustrating... they can't expect developers to be drawn to write for WP when they lock down so much of the phone

its probably a security issue. I looked at the app and I personally would rather have the security of not giving my phone the vulnerability of being hacked or something through the raw nfc

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
In fact it just read rawly the data of the nfc token, which means it reads the data byte by byte instead of having the data being interpreted by the API first.
Everything is controlled by the app, nothing is injected anywhere.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karyrney