RN50

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Seriously why is Skype so dumb on Windows Phone 8. I mean the app is made by Microsoft yet the iphone version is much better that this waste of space app.

Ran a couple of tests too. Tried calling my Mrs with Skype (she has an iPhone) her app was closed and the call failed/didnt connect. Called her again when her app was open and it connected fine. (by the way the front facing camera on the 920 is bollocks)

Asked her to call me when my phone was locked and it came up perfectly.

Seriously wtf is going on with this trash app? Also the app looks so cartoonish compared to the classy iphone app which is again disgraceful.

I was about to advise my Mrs best friend to get the 925. She doesn't use too many app but Skype is one of her main app and if this is what its like then forget that. Ill recommend the Sony Experian or S4 which is a shame. Another potential customer lost.

Great stuff Microflop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. I have never encountered the problem you are describing in Skype on Windows Phone 8. Although I have had a similar problem on my Surface RT with Skype, but only if I attempt to make a call right after launching the app (the RT can be quite slow sometimes). What phone have you been using?

Anyway, I have to disagree about the interface. It is of course purely a matter of preference, but I think they did a good job of conforming to Windows Phone's design language while still retaining Skype's own look and feel. Anyway, personal preferences aside, did you feel there were any usability issues with the actual layout of the UI?

RN50

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Im using the Lumia 920. Yes its a personal preference regarding the interface. I've had a play around with the iphone app and the usability is pretty similar to the wp8 app.

I personally feel the WP8 app should blow the iphone and android app out of the water.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, that is completely fair. Microsoft needs to push the Skype team harder to get their own versions of Skype to be the most fully-featured, stable and up-to-date version available.

It is rumored that a number of features are being held off for Windows Phone 8.1, and that Skype will get very deep OS integration. I guess we'll see about that, but I'm hopeful

Haigs

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Seriously why is Skype so ******* **** on Windows Phone 8. I mean the bloody app is made by Microsoft yet the iphone version is much better that this waste of space app.

Ran a couple of tests too. Tried calling my Mrs with Skype (she has an iPhone) her app was closed and the call failed/didnt connect. Called her again when her app was open and it connected fine. (by the way the front facing camera on the 920 is bollocks)

Asked her to call me when my phone was locked and it came up perfectly.

Seriously wtf is going on with this trash app? Also the app looks so cartoonish compared to the classy iphone app which is again disgraceful.

I was about to advise my Mrs best friend to get the 925. She doesn't use too many app but Skype is one of her main app and if this is what its like then forget that. Ill recommend the Sony Experian or S4 which is a shame. Another potential customer lost.

Great stuff Microflop.

Hi, are you sure it is not iphone's problem? I am calling both my wp8 and android friends and have zero problems with skype.

ectobs

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Off Topic: I cannot or don't know how to copy & paste text from the skype app in my Lumia 521. I want to copy an address sent to me and paste it in Maps but it won't allow me to select/highlight the address. Did anyone got it to work on their phones? I might uninstall this for now until I could highlight a text(s) and use copy & paste. TIA.

SHAnx7

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
My biggest annoyance with skype is the fact that even if i disable all Internet connectivity (Wifi + 3G/LTE) i still appear online to my friends. The only option for appearing correctly offline is to toggle the invisible status, before disabling internet connectivity. It is very annoying, my friends try to call / text me, thinking i am online, and i receive all the messages, only when i connect back to the internet...
It seems to be a known issue as i have poste a new ideea on the community, regarding another post. If you are running into the same problems, some kudos could help it get resolved faster.

Corect the status problem ASAP ! - Skype Community

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I have problem with notifidation on my ATIV S

My phone will instantly sound when there are any Whatsapp notification but not Skype. And I thought Skype came from the same place as WP8?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6