Bing Weather

MangoGuy

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Just to let you all know if you don't already Bing weather was updated today, I haven't noticed any changes as of yet

Cheers

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I was excited to see the update hoping they finally added wide tile and lockscreen support - 2 basic WP8 features. But so far I don't see what's improved or what's new... Guess we'll have to keep waiting.

Trevor Jones

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Disappointing about the lockscreen functionality, that's the main thing I look for in a weather app (switching between Amazing Weather HD and Umbrella8 at the moment).
Apart from that it's a great weather app, pretty much as it says on the tin - a WP version of the W8 app.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
does the live tile not work for this app? It open updates the tile only if I go into the app. The Weather Channel app updates maybe 3 times a day and I was looking for something that updates more frequently.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the Bing weather app's live tile does work. Are you sure you've enabled the live tile option in the apps settings screen?

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Check out the comments/suggestions by Mr. Brown and myself in this thread:

Live tiles dead

Basically it's most likely too many background agents running. (Some apps can have agents running and you may not see them in the 'background tasks' settings screen) I'd advise opening all your apps and checking their respective settings to disable Live Tiles, and other background agent/tasks there on top of blocking unwanted apps in the background tasks settings. Also keep a count of how many apps have background tasks running. More than 15 seems to be the spot where people start having troubles. Good luck.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've looked at the Live Tiles Dead thread. There isn't a solution per se except random uninstall/install of apps. This is a horrible problem Microsoft needs to fix. In WP7 someone was able to determine it was rogue apps writing bad keys to the registry which then broke it for all apps.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I've looked at the Live Tiles Dead thread. There isn't a solution per se except random uninstall/install of apps. This is a horrible problem Microsoft needs to fix. In WP7 someone was able to determine it was rogue apps writing bad keys to the registry which then broke it for all apps.

Oh I agree the user shouldn't have to work this hard to keep them working. The big thing for me was not really uninstalling stuff, though i did remove a few things that i realized I just wasn't using ever, but rather opening each app I have and disabling tiles, agents, and such inside each app that wasn't needed. Some of those apps are taking up a "background agent" slot so to speak, and may or may not show up in the background tasks list to block. In essense you have more tasks running than might be apparent in that background tasks list. Once I did this, all my tiles went back to normal regular updating frequency. Then it's a simple task to keep it managed by doing the same to any new apps you might install (unless of course you want to use a tile or such for said app). Anyway, if it didn't help you out sorry, I wish I could tell you more. Hopefully 8.1 addresses this making it more robust and reliable without the user having to "guess" why they don't work, or better yet, eliminate the problem entirely so the user has to do nothing and they just all work. Rumor says they are fixing the agent/task system greatly so I have hope.

vk1971

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Can you advise how to enable lockscreen support in Bing Weather?
It proposed to enable it right after first launch of the app and I've chosen "no", I thought I could find it later somewhere in the settings but now I can't

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Can you advise how to enable lockscreen support in Bing Weather?
It proposed to enable it right after first launch of the app and I've chosen "no", I thought I could find it later somewhere in the settings but now I can't

From the Bing Weather app itself, hit the ellipses '...' button, then...
Settings|Options|'Lock Screen Settings'
This process takes you to the same page as accessed directly from the main wp8 Setting app/tile...
where in both venues of access you simply tap the 'Background' setting and select 'Bing Weather' from the Lock Screen choices in the list.

Then tap the 'Open App' button to initiate the lock screen. Close page and then shut down phone and re-open and the Bing Weather should show up on the Lock Screen.

vk1971

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
@Kavu2
Thank you so much. Worked just fine.
I have another question if you don't mind.
BW shows night temperature as a current weather condition while it's already 10.30 am here.
I mean the tab TODAY shows temp 7[SUP]c[/SUP] and it's night's temp.
Also there is quite a difference between temperature shown on lockscreen 5[SUP]c[/SUP] and supposedly current temperature 7[SUP]c[/SUP], which in fact is not current but night temp.
Is there anything I can do about it?

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
@vk1971
I think that's just a syncing issue (delay) with the Bing app, where Bing might just be a bit behind from time to time. I did notice as well on my app a difference between current real time temp and the start page and the whole day/night thing. However there is a manual 'refresh' to force the app (and hopefully the Live Tile) to refresh and be in sync. I did it and everything synced up again nicely.
So within the Bing app, tap '...' and tap 'refresh' and see if that syncs things up for you. It might just be a delay in the app syncing to the Live Tile. It would seem that with the app retrieving various weather info from various sources and trying to sync everything up with the app and with the Live Tile...it's a tedious process and perhaps syncing gets delayed(?) from time to time. Just a guess here...
So give 'refresh' a try

Edit... just noticed you mentioned the sync issue with the Lockscreen as well...likely the same issue as mentioned above...plus the syncing rate may be different with the Lockscreen I don't know.

vk1971

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
OK, to sum up. I have 3 temperatures - one on live tile, 10c (which simply is night temperature and not current); second in app itself, 9c; and third in HOURLY section, 14c.
The app is too messy for me

Trevor Jones

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I hope in the next update they include a "last updated" date/time on the live tile, as there's no setting for when it should get a push update it's hard to know when the app/tile was last updated.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte