YouTube App: Microsoft got the blame for Google's actions .

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I say it is both their faults. Microsoft needs to support in line video, and make their browser not the worst on the market, which it is, and Google should've been nice and let Microsoft make their YouTube app.

Lurchorama

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
The way that SHOULD have gone is:
"You need to remake your app in HTML5"
"But our platform doesnt support inline video in HTML5 yet. Alright, we'll fix that screwup and get back to you"
"Alright"

See what I did there? If MS really had their users' interest at heart (which some of us find hilarious), they would have fixed that. FFS, they've ben dickering over this for months now - don't tell me a company of MS' size cannot push through a crash project to fix this lack of HTML5 inline. What would have happened IMO is this:

WP Team:Hey, we need you guys to fix the inline video issue with IE in WP.
IE Team: LOL, why would we do that for you?

More correctly:

"We're gonna make you re-create your app for our service in HTML5 even though we know your platform is not ready for it AND we're not making anyone else do it"
"Well, thats a bit unfair"
"Stiff s**t"
"How long we got?"
"Yesterday"
"Well, thats REALLY unfair"
<insert evil laugh here>

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
More correctly:

"We're gonna make you re-create your app for our service in HTML5 even though we know your platform is not ready for it AND we're not making anyone else do it"
"Well, thats a bit unfair"
"Stiff s**t"
"How long we got?"
"Yesterday"
"Well, thats REALLY unfair"
<insert evil laugh here>

Again I reiterate: Google does not screw with Metrotube or other 3rd party providers. I am unsure why nobody considers that fact. This means to me that Google does not want to deny WP users, just that they want MS to play by the rules. And the fact that the platform is not ready, after TWO years, is whose fault?

JonnieLasVegas

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Again I reiterate: Google does not screw with Metrotube or other 3rd party providers. I am unsure why nobody considers that fact. This means to me that Google does not want to deny WP users, just that they want MS to play by the rules. And the fact that the platform is not ready, after TWO years, is whose fault?

I just jumped in after seeing this comment, so I'm not sure the entirety of this convo. That being said, metrotube and others also do not play by the rules. They skip ads, allow you to download and save videos, etc. Weren't these two of the few reasons that google denied Microsoft's YouTube app? I think it's more they want to make Microsoft look bad, which Microsoft is perfectly capable of doing on its own.

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
We can point fingers all day. At the end of the day, Windows Phone doesn't have proper support for Google services. I may not be someone that depends on their services, but I don't care how we reach the point where Windows Phone users get what they should--it just needs to happen.

dang121

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
You know the market share argument is funny to me. The Nintendo Wii U which barely have any user but yet Google make a YT app for it. Overall, WP user is > Wii U user but no YT app. You can spin the argument any way you want, the bottom line is Google don't want to make a app for WP or support WP for whatever reason.

dang121

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

Again Metrotube and other 3rd party apps does not play by the rule either. They skips ads and let you download. The only different is they are not made by MS. Not sure you are a real WP user or some troll that talking out of his ***.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

The problem is that they don't provide an API that allows MS to follow the rules.

Let me break this down for you. YouTube serves up content that is rendered in your browser through the adobe flash plugin or HTML 5 standards.

Adobe flash is prefered because it allows Google to insert advertisements - the flash plugin controls this on the client side. The problem is that the advertisements are not added to the video stream seamlessly on the server side.

Because control of the advertisements is handed off to the flash plugin, that means that devices viewing videos without flash (html 5) are not going to display the advertisements. Just the video. If the advertisement was seamlessly integrated into the video stream then it would work. But that is not the case.

Html doesn't have client side controls for advertisements either. So google is forced to create a server side solution for this. This is not optimal for them.

So when a mobile device, such as WP8, connects and requests a video, YouTube recognizes that the device doesn't support flash and serves the video in html5. However, the html5 standard has no considerations for advertisements. Thus, when viewing a video on WP, you get no ads.

YouTube needs to send the ad as html video first. They don't have a prominent solution for this currently. So they told MS they require ads to work. MS, recognizing the problem, tells google that they need API access for this. Google does not have a public API for ads and won't provide a private one for MS.

So MS is left with three choices. Don't make an app, make an app with no ads, or spend an exorbitant amount of effort modifying how WP handles html5 and set the app up to "scrape" the ad feed and manually insert it into the attempt the play html 5 video.

However, to do that MS would need to update the WP OS because this design is outside of the html5 standards which they have already coded support for.

Then google cries foul and MS is left out to dry.

Last edited:

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Why is every company dropping Google in the first place? Apple dropped google maps and the YouTube app included on every phone. Of course, google made a YouTube app the next and a google maps app too. Google is just toying with Microsoft because they know they can have MS down on their knees sucking their _____. Microsoft just needs to go along with more of Google's plan and try to make things better for us. Just because Microsoft is dropping Google doesn't mean I need to drop google because I get a windows phone.

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that they don't provide an API that allows MS to follow the rules.

Let me break this down for you. YouTube serves up content that is rendered in your browser through the adobe flash plugin or HTML 5 standards.

Adobe flash is prefered because it allows Google to insert advertisements - the flash plugin controls this on the client side. The problem is that the advertisements are not added to the video stream seamlessly on the server side.

Because control of the advertisements is handed off to the flash plugin, that means that devices viewing videos without flash (html 5) are not going to display the advertisements. Just the video. If the advertisement was seamlessly integrated into the video stream then it would work. But that is not the case.

Html doesn't have client side controls for advertisements either. So google is forced to create a server side solution for this. This is not optimal for them.

So when a mobile device, such as WP8, connects and requests a video, YouTube recognizes that the device doesn't support flash and serves the video in html5. However, the html5 standard has no considerations for advertisements. Thus, when viewing a video on WP, you get no ads.

YouTube needs to send the ad as html video first. They don't have a prominent solution for this currently. So they told MS they require ads to work. MS, recognizing the problem, tells google that they need API access for this. Google does not have a public API for ads and won't provide a private one for MS.

So MS is left with three choices. Don't make an app, make an app with no ads, or spend an exorbitant amount of effort modifying how WP handles html5 and set the app up to "scrape" the ad feed and manually insert it into the attempt the play html 5 video.

However, to do that MS would need to update the WP OS because this design is outside of the html5 standards which they have already coded support for.

smart guy you are. I think they are idiots for not thinking of the revenue lost here. Regardless of whether or not we have an app to their standards we skip all ads. Suckers!

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
In the end we consumers lose out no matter how we justify this stuff.

Right now I am quite happy with YouTube apps on Windows Phone but the situation could turn out worse for third party apps.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
You know the market share argument is funny to me. The Nintendo Wii U which barely have any user but yet Google make a YT app for it. Overall, WP user is > Wii U user but no YT app. You can spin the argument any way you want, the bottom line is Google don't want to make a app for WP or support WP for whatever reason.
That's an HTML5 third party app. Not a Google-made app, just one made using the API properly.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I just jumped in after seeing this comment, so I'm not sure the entirety of this convo. That being said, metrotube and others also do not play by the rules. They skip ads, allow you to download and save videos, etc. Weren't these two of the few reasons that google denied Microsoft's YouTube app? I think it's more they want to make Microsoft look bad, which Microsoft is perfectly capable of doing on its own.

Google doesn't have a history of going after small developers.

There's a difference between a third party app which doesn't use the service's real name, made by an indie somewhere, and an app that looks like and claims to be an Official app made by a company like Microsoft. That is important.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site

You're completely wrong. The HTML5 API does all this with zero effort. You're just another MS apologist with no understanding of the technical issues here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb