Replying to Email on WP8

davebolton

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I have been using WP for over two years now. Currently I use a Nokia 928 and one thing drives me a little crazy. I have several email accounts and use them all with IMAP (Gmail, Yahoo, and others). When I reply to an email on my phone, it shows that I have replied. Good, so far. But when I look at the message using an email client on a PC, like Thunderbird. Or even Mail on a mac. It does not indicate that I replied to the email. Also, when I reply to an email from the PC. Or even from a mac. The replied indicator does not show up in the mail app on my WP8 phone.

This would be ok except that ...

I have tested this using an Android phone with the Aquamail app. And with Mail on an iPhone. In both cases, both of these things work (replying from the phone or replying from the PC/mac). The whole thing is about replying on one device. And having the indication show up on the other.

It does seem to work a bit differently depending on the mail system. With Gmail, neither work on WP8. With Hotmail, I can reply on the phone. And it shows as replied on the PC. But if I reply on the PC, it does not show as reply on the phone.

Does anyone know if this is possible with WP8?

I would consider switching to an iPhone or Android phone, but I don't want to go there.

davebolton

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I think so. But that is not what I am talking about. What I want is the little curly arrow. Like in hotmail. Or just about any other email client around (desktop or phone) that indicates that you have replied to this message. I will see if I can get an image. But I may not have time until tomorrow.

I can live without it. Its just a constant question when I am looking at messages in my inbox. Did I reply to that one? Maybe I did. And it was it from a PC? Or maybe I didn't.

maxnicks

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
It alerts me that I replied to an email on my 928. If you look directly under the time or date on the right side of you screen it has a little return arrow.

I replied to an email from my phone. It showed replied and also showed replied on my outlook 2013 and my outlook web.

I replied to an email on my desktop. It showed on my phone that I'd replied. Look again.

I have CONVERSATIONS shut off in the phone email settings.

I have GDR3 running on my phone. I don't recall if it did it under GDR2.

Last edited:

davebolton

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. The result of this seems to depend on the email service and email client. I don't use Outlook 2013. When I use Hotmail webmail though, I see it if I reply from the phone. That is I see it on the webmail screen on the PC. But if I do it the other way around, If I reply on webmail on the PC, I do not see it on the phone. With Gmail instead of Hotmail/Live/Outlook, nothing works. But it does work using Aquamail (Android). Or using Mail (iPhone). I will look again though. Maybe its just operator error.

Its not a huge deal, but since I am back and forth between my phone and PC, it would be nice if I could find a way to make it work more consistently.

One thing I will say though. Is that the experience in Hotmail etc is better than that in Gmail. Because of the reply marker things.

I just looked at your mesage again. CONVERSATIONS. Let me try that. Also, I don't have GDR3 yet. (Verizon)

Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans