ID_CAP_MEDIALIB_VIDEO not avaliable

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The ID_CAP_MEDIALIB_VIDEO is documented since WP8 released but never worked.
it is suppose to let us access the camera roll video library.

It is documented here How to upgrade an app project to Windows Phone 8 but not way to use it.Nokia some how managed to do this with them video tools.

More details... The ID_CAP_MEDIALIB_VIDEO is not avaliable

Capability
ID_MEDIALIB
Replaced with one or more of the following:

• ID_CAP_MEDIALIB_AUDIO
  • ID_CAP_MEDIALIB_VIDEO
  • ID_CAP_MEDIALIB_PHOTO

Anybody?

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I know what you're thinking... if they mentioned it, it must be used somewhere.
I don't know why they specified it, probably it would be better if they hided it from the public documentation to avoid this kind of misunderstanding.

The fact is there is absolutely no way to access the videos with the public api. And that capability is useless for us.

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
There are millions of other capabilities not available for mortals. They was to lazzy to think how this may be helpful for developers, so just closed access to them. Stupid decision, but we can do nothing about it. Such corporation like Microsoft never listens to customers.

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
There are millions of other capabilities not available for mortals. They was to lazzy to think how this may be helpful for developers, so just closed access to them. Stupid decision, but we can do nothing about it. Such corporation like Microsoft never listens to customers.

We don't have a good youtube uploaded right now because of this :(

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
We don't have a lot of good apps. Not only YT uploader.
Why Apple allows access to video, but MS not? What are they scare about?

I was on conference in Moscow in September and has a chance to talk with man from company, which made a lot of applications for Nokia (Burton and so on). I asked him why we cannot access 38Mpx Images in Nokia 1020? And he told, that MS and Nokia decided to hide those images from third party applications because it could crash them if you do not properly opens it in code. Same , I think, was about videos.
But why the hell MS should decide this for us? Who will blame MS if for example an app from "Bogus Inc." will crashes on Nokia 1020? Microsoft must fire every single man behind the WP! They sure have no idea how SDK must be made.

Everytime I am working on interesting new projects, I am fighting against stupidity of WP SDK team. Don't take me wrong, but sometimes its very annoying.

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
We don't have a lot of good apps. Not only YT uploader.
Why Apple allows access to video, but MS not? What are they scare about?

I was on conference in Moscow in September and has a chance to talk with man from company, which made a lot of applications for Nokia (Burton and so on). I asked him why we cannot access 38Mpx Images in Nokia 1020? And he told, that MS and Nokia decided to hide those images from third party applications because it could crash them if you do not properly opens it in code. Same , I think, was about videos.
But why the hell MS should decide this for us? Who will blame MS if for example an app from "Bogus Inc." will crashes on Nokia 1020? Microsoft must fire every single man behind the WP! They sure have no idea how SDK must be made.

Everytime I am working on interesting new projects, I am fighting against stupidity of WP SDK team. Don't take me wrong, but sometimes its very annoying.

I have the same problem :(

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Until you show us that you can access video files in media library, I won't believe in it. :)
.avi files are not registered to system, so you can access them on SD card as well as .mkv.
But video files, taken by camera and stored in Phones memory are not accessible.

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Until you show us that you can access video files in media library, I won't believe in it. :)
.avi files are not registered to system, so you can access them on SD card as well as .mkv.
But video files, taken by camera and stored in Phones memory are not accessible.

I just recorded a video com my phone camera and I could access from the APP. I'm angry now because I cant do this in my app. :(

Also I could access all other formats. We need to know this magic.

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
There are two ways to do it.
1. Ask Nokia or other vendor to help
2. Hack it :)

I have contacted Microsoft about such abilities and of course they told me to ask help from vendor. Nokia also didn't help me with it as they seems don't care about it :)

Have no idea what other way do you have to access video files as there are no official API for that.

amitnahar

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
There are two ways to do it.
1. Ask Nokia or other vendor to help
2. Hack it :)

I have contacted Microsoft about such abilities and of course they told me to ask help from vendor. Nokia also didn't help me with it as they seems don't care about it :)

Have no idea what other way do you have to access video files as there are no official API for that.

Its like a miracle. How did he manage to do it.?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes