SQUARE app will probably not be available in WP store for 20 years

bitwise

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
From the recent tweets of a certain
Tristan O?Tierney

@tristan

⊡ Square Co-Founder ⊚ Photographer (http://flickr.com/photos/tristanotierney ?) ⌘ Infinitely Smitten

It seems he has no love for WP at all. Not even a bit.

His recent tweets concerning WP:

@CoryDMC Problem with that argument is we?re 6 years into mobile, and WP still has no traction. They?re pumping millions into it at a loss.

@CoryDMC @collindonnell You?re still not thinking big picture enough. Building stuff costs time and money. Doubtful the payoff is worth it.

@HelloImRyan Everything is an opportunity cost. You?re better off spending your time (and thus money) letting those 3.5mill switch OSes.

And here?s the reality of mobile usage: - iOS: 55% - Android: 30% - WP: 0.5% Does supporting Windows Phone still sound appealing for 0.5%?

All for a fraction of the market that will probably not even pay for the cost of building the app in the first place.

Building an app for a platform with no traction is a distraction. It will forever become a maintenance headache, and slow you down.

@SuDanny123 Don?t have to be an ******* about it. Not my fault you (probably) chose an OS that no one choses to port apps to.

@maxvoltar Oh I do think it?s quite capable, I just don?t think it?s worth supporting.

@danthepcguy I will. I?ve been proven right time and time again with predictions on mobile market share, but feel free to ignore me.

@danthepcguy Not really. Still not worth it. Still no users. Microsoft lost years ago, it?s just taking ages to catch up to reality.

And his reply to Instagram's official tweet about their WP app release:
@instagram Wow, that?s a waste of time.

Edit:
A quick search revealed he is not part of Square anymore. So I guess there's still hope. His view about WP is really strong though.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Tisk tisk tisk...as more and more consumers jump off the apple and adroid wagon, they will look to something different. Microsoft has been around for years, but untotice due to glits and glam of the other OSes. As the other OSes continue to look bland'er, people are looking to move to something new... Microsoft is so out of the way that it will be the new guy people never knew. I see it happening now. Applyusers are moving to android or windows. Not this will never be in mass droves, but it happening.

I understand numbers and percentages... Numbers are accurate, but never tell the whole story... In this case... It would be advantageous to square... Instead of going to a market and fighting for attention, they could own it... They don't need all of the stupid overpriced hardware for windows... That's the real thing... IOS sheep buy into that crap. All windows users want is the app and card reader... No major over head cost and only profit.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I made the choice to stop using both my personal and business square accounts a couple years ago.. It is PayPal only. Though he is not with them anymore, it is this attitude that makes me shy away...

I love companies who can see bug picture like amazon who embrace the customer rather than shun them. Amazon should come out with a mobile payment system.

bitwise

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
It's just that he is very confident with his words about WP. I'm sure he knows a lot about the mobile industry, but I think he only limits it to the US. Is WP really that small in America?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Windows 8 is set to explode. I can feel it.

Watching the Walking Dead, I just see tons of Windows commercials. Same thing with youth oriented shows like Tomorrow People. Windows Windows Windows.

Lakers games... more Windows.

I'm sure there are Windows commercials everywhere else too. And they're actually pretty good commercials.

As Windows 8 grows and the UI gains acceptance, we'll see WP zoom up.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
What are the alternatives to Square? I know he's not with the company anymore, but if the people who work there have the same general attitude, then I expect that a WP app would be half-assed if it were ever to come in the future.

bitwise

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
How old are those tweets? iOS 55%, Android 30%, WP 0.5%? Looks like 2 years ago numbers or something.

Fairly new, when instagram was released. I think it all started with his reply to instagram's announcement of the app, he said its a waste of time. So the WP fans have to reply back.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
How old are those tweets? iOS 55%, Android 30%, WP 0.5%? Looks like 2 years ago numbers or something.

Since it doesn't seem like these numbers are reflecting market share, it's probably mobile usage or something. The iPhone, in spite of having 1/5 the market share of Android, leads in categories like ad revenue & browsing.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
You guys do understand that for a company to develop a WP app, they either have to hire someone, or train an on staff dev? You do know that costs money? It costs money to develop and maintain an app. And you do know that companies are in the business to make money?

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I can't see where he is wrong. If you develop for WP, you do it because MS paid you, for the status, devotion or because your product happens to have appeal to the WP crowd, even though marketshare is small. Most companies unfortunately don't have an incentive to do it for these reasons.

Now, I think this will change, and I hope so at least, to where not having a WP app means losing money, but currently we're far from there. Just look at how many of the well-known apps that get no support or updates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6