L920: Recorded a long, important video while the phone drive got full, how to recover the file?

paazikivi

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
I recorded a video with my nokia L920 Pro Camera app, of my friends doctoral defence, and got out of memory so the camera stopped recording. However, the file is still available when i go to the CameraRoll folder with explorer. When I right click details of the file I see that it has the size of 1.63 gb but length 0:00, see attached image. Open the file does not work. I presume there must be a way to recover the file with some software, installed already Odboso free trial but could not find the corrupted file with that program. Please someone help, I just hope the video is not lost forever. Thanks in advance for any solutions.

video details.jpg

meandu229

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Try importing it to a video editor,, something good like adobe premiere (30 day trial) hopefully its just the indexing that is off.

paazikivi

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks meandu229, the adobe premiere worked, at least partially :) It could open the file, and I then converted it to a new movie file. However, the sound was missing. But, somehow, later I tried to open the corrupted file with VLC player, it worked fine! So, apparently, the corrupted file was somehow automatically patched to a working one after I installed Premiere.

Summasummarum, problem solved, and I have now freed up 10 gigas of space to my phone to prevent this to happen again in the near future :) But the core problem still is, that I think Nokia should try to add a few lines to the algorithms which would autoclose recording apps if memory is reaching nul. Should not be so hard? What if you record and battery drains out? will the video file be ok?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have had this happen at church, where I ran out of space. I really quick jumped into Here Maps and deleted my maps so I could continue recording (good tip - frees up a lot of space if you have all of the US installed), and when I copied files over to the PC, everything worked no problem. I didn't look at the properties before moving, so can't tell you if the length said zero or not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb