How is Whatsapp better than Skype?

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
They're almost the same thing, how can you say they're different?
Both mainly IM services that allow side features such as file sharing and so on...

As for people complaining about notifications its all about how the app is handeled.
If you leave skype open in background you'll get notifications, if you close it you can't expect that.
Same would go for Whatsapp (haven't used it so I'm not sure), if there's a Whatsapp process left in the background you'll get notifications, otherwise you won't.

That's not how it works, notifications should be working regardless of whether the app is open or not as long as background tasks are enabled. However if you do keep skype open notifications are still unreliable and when it is open it eats battery way more.

Do you have a WP? Have you used both of these apps?

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, at first I tought it was a regional thing or something but a few days earlier I saw my friends using whatsapp and I was like.."Really? Like...seriously?" So now I need someone else to explain it to me.

How is Whatsapp better than Skype and why do so many people use it?
As much as I know, whatsapp was released 2009 (wikipedia says that), and Skype in 2003 - IMO Skype has advantage.
Whatsapp is available only on mobile devices while Skype can be installed on almost any device, from computers over tablets and consoles to smartphones, even on old "non-smartphones".
The main thing is that Skype offers more features, screen sharing, calling to landline phones and much more.
Not to talk about that having skype longer makes it have way more users.

And yet, I see people using it. Same goes for Viber and other copies.

Also I find that being owned by a very large inc (Microsoft) is another + for Skype.
The Skype client is heavy on PCs, consumes way too much batteries if its always online, it works on very few phones.

Whatsapp is a true multiplatform client from low budget Nokias that run S40 to flagships of all major OSs.
Its focused on chat and not calling, it doesn't consume too much battery and its super easy to setup as it uses your phone's contact and your own number so no email setup is needed, It can let you share Images/voice messages/videos and location across all versions of the app.

The app is very government friendly and as such its not blocked in the 3rd world countries where its biggest audience resides.

Its feedback about read messages and last seen status makes using it very convenient for families.

Skype is an inferior product in everyway to Whatsapp, I don't even bother to install it on my Lumia anymore.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I think whatsapp is useless and none of my friends are using it. Everyone of my friends have a Skype account but I hardly ever saw them connected. My conclusion is that messaging apps are useless most of the time. It is way simpler to write a txt message or to use Facebook messenger.

Both services are not appealing enough for me to use them and I can't see why I should.

xratola

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I think whatsapp is useless and none of my friends are using it. Everyone of my friends have a Skype account but I hardly ever saw them connected. My conclusion is that messaging apps are useless most of the time. It is way simpler to write a txt message or to use Facebook messenger.

Both services are not appealing enough for me to use them and I can't see why I should.

Depends on your age and social status (popular or not) seriously.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I think whatsapp is useless and none of my friends are using it. Everyone of my friends have a Skype account but I hardly ever saw them connected. My conclusion is that messaging apps are useless most of the time.

Whatsapp is what I use for the majority of my texting. Works decently. Every so often there is a small delay in receiving a message but people know to switch to regular text messaging if the message is really urgent. Most texts are nonsense anyway. I'm not going to pay some rip off rate just to receive a bunch of pointless texts when I get get them for free on Whatsapp.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Depends on your age and social status (popular or not) seriously.

I'm 21yo and I'm not the most popular guy, but I receive a lot of messages on facebook and by SMS. I downloaded the app thinking that it would be useful and I had it only for a week when I uninstalled it. No one was messaging me through Whatsapp.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm 21yo and I'm not the most popular guy, but I receive a lot of messages on facebook and by SMS. I downloaded the app thinking that it would be useful and I had it only for a week when I uninstalled it. No one was messaging me through Whatsapp.

It's of course a different situation for everyone. Everybody I know who owns a smartphone uses Whatsapp. I think I don't know anybody who uses Skype on her or his phone, and I only ever write a text to people that still have a classic phone.

iBandar

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Because Skype is a confusing fu*k. I mean seriously, I have WP7.8, and I can't even log in using my MS account. All my subscriptions are in my MS account. Like seriously WTF Microsoft. I think every day and night, how can they fu*k it up something as small as this.

Elias Zoller

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
quite simple:

pros for whatsapp:

• no online/offline/busy etc. but always on
  • no need for adding contacts
  • your contacts don't expect instant replys
  • short messages
  • no desktop client (short messages)

Twitter@Firas_MD

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Actually I stopped using both after the last update for LINE messenger which include a magnificent voice call capability along with the clean interface and read conformation and besides the privacy ( NO LAST SEEN ) *relieved*

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
quite simple:

pros for whatsapp:

• no online/offline/busy etc. but always on
  • no need for adding contacts
  • your contacts don't expect instant replys
  • short messages
  • no desktop client (short messages)

I especially like the fact that there is an indication the recipient has received my message and my message has not been lost in cyberspace.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
First things first, you don't ADD people to your account! people JOIN WhatsApp, huge difference in concept.

Second, it has a clear goal "text", which makes it easier to improve, and easier to spread. on every platform, a user at least gets to "text", not like skype which has "text, voice, video, and video messages".

Finally, we are in the age of simplicity, its obvious in our designs. look at all three plat forms UI now. all flat, all simple.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The Skype client... works on very few phones. Whatsapp is a true multiplatform client from low budget Nokias that run S40 to flagships of all major OSs.

I'm not sure I would agree that WhatsApp wins the battle of platform availability. While WhatsApp may be available for the entry-level Asha devices, Skype is available on Windows and Mac PCs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99