How is Whatsapp better than Skype?

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, at first I tought it was a regional thing or something but a few days earlier I saw my friends using whatsapp and I was like.."Really? Like...seriously?" So now I need someone else to explain it to me.

How is Whatsapp better than Skype and why do so many people use it?
As much as I know, whatsapp was released 2009 (wikipedia says that), and Skype in 2003 - IMO Skype has advantage.
Whatsapp is available only on mobile devices while Skype can be installed on almost any device, from computers over tablets and consoles to smartphones, even on old "non-smartphones".
The main thing is that Skype offers more features, screen sharing, calling to landline phones and much more.
Not to talk about that having skype longer makes it have way more users.

And yet, I see people using it. Same goes for Viber and other copies.

Also I find that being owned by a very large inc (Microsoft) is another + for Skype.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
just cause skype was founded earlier, doesn't mean it's better

for me the biggest things right now are notifications and easy of adding users.

not sure what you mean about having skype longer makes it have more users

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Skype was founded earlier and thus has more people using it (10 years mate).
Also, IMO its better because for those 10 years they've learnt how to do stuff, they have more experience.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Skype was founded earlier and thus has more people using it (10 years mate).
Also, IMO its better because for those 10 years they've learnt how to do stuff, they have more experience.
if they have more experience then why do my notification on windows phone work worse than the ones for whatsapp?
I'm not arguing who does what better, but you can't simply state that one company is better because they were in in the business longer

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
if they have more experience then why do my notification on windows phone work worse than the ones for whatsapp?
I'm not arguing who does what better, but you can't simply state that one company is better because they were in in the business longer
Well, it usually goes that way. Thats why I said it.

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I receive incoming Whatsapp messages instantly and very reliably.
I sometimes receive incoming Skype messages instantly, sometimes after a couple of hours and sometimes next day.
So while Skype can do more stuff, I find Whatsapp more reliable. I have uninstall and re-install Skype and see no improvement.

sakada

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I believe skype started as a voip application that caters to computer users and compete against Yahoo! messengers, MSN Messenger and the likes. Whereas whatsapp was created to replace messaging on the phone with push notification, so the app doesn't have to stay opened to receive message. Early version of skype for phone does not have this feature.

Personally i think skype is better because it is one of the first phone app specially made to replace messaging. Since it was the first, a lot of people uses it. Furthermore, it allows you to scans your contact to see who else uses whatsapp too. In Skype, you have to add the users.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Skype on the phone is terrible as a messaging service. It is also feature lacking.

I find them both unreliable with PUSH. Skype was decent at first, then I started getting delays of hours, on Wifi... Same with WhatsApp but not quite that bad.

Kik has actually been the best with messaging accuracy, but it has an annoying bug where I get double toast notifications for every single message from my iPhone buddy.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Yep everyone knows Skype is a voice chatting(VOIP) app so no one really uses it as messaging. Whatsapp is known worldwide, and almost everyone who has a smartphone has one now. Even Nokia Asha phones come inbuilt with it. Sharing stuff(photos, videos) is very easy too, and adding contacts is easy just as adding the number to your phonebook thought anyone who has your number can see your online status(as well as your dp which is a bit intruding)

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
They are two different things, you cannot compare them.
It's like saying that Facebook is better than Bing.
They're almost the same thing, how can you say they're different?
Both mainly IM services that allow side features such as file sharing and so on...

As for people complaining about notifications its all about how the app is handeled.
If you leave skype open in background you'll get notifications, if you close it you can't expect that.
Same would go for Whatsapp (haven't used it so I'm not sure), if there's a Whatsapp process left in the background you'll get notifications, otherwise you won't.

thegooner

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
If you consider WhatsApp as kind of sms/mms messaging on steroids, the convenience of (e.g.) group messaging with photos is one of the reasons why it's done so well. I may be doing it wrong, but I can't seem to create a message Skype contacts who are offline, nor are there group messages available in the WP8 app (again - correct me if I'm wrong).

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Both mainly IM services that allow side features such as file sharing and so on...

As for people complaining about notifications its all about how the app is handeled.
If you leave skype open in background you'll get notifications, if you close it you can't expect that.
Same would go for Whatsapp (haven't used it so I'm not sure), if there's a Whatsapp process left in the background you'll get notifications, otherwise you won't.

I tried leaving my Skype open in background and some notification arrives instantly, some after a few hours and some next day. I really wanted it to work reliably but it simply doesn't. Using ATIV S on GDR2.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Whatsapp is a simple texting application on every platform everybody uses.
Of course they added features over time, it's still much less bloated than Skype. Also it's based on phone numbers which gives an amount of control and simplicity. No signing up, no exchange of silly contact names. It's just much easier.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
WhatsApp allows you to stay in touch with whom you know their phone number; knowing their number, you can message them without asking their permission, neither waiting for their (adding) approval. WhatsApp it's a SMS alternative.
Skype needs you to search for contacts, ask their friendship (waiting their approvals), then you can call and message them. It's more like a messenger app, mainly based on videocalls.
Two completely different purposes.

Also, whatsapp doesn't allow file sharing... only picture, audio and video sharing.
Skype on WP8 nothing because the OS sucks, but on desktop allows you to attach any kind of file.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what you mean with "open in background" *.
If you mean that you need to open the app then push "start" instead of "back" to leave it open, then you didn't understand how the WP app lifecycle works.
If you mean that you need to keep the app open in foreground (so, without doing anything else) you are clearly wrong.
Both Skype and WhatsApp show notifications when the app is "closed", thanks to the WP push notifications.

* apps cannot stay open in background... this is why there is no multitasking in WP and some kind of apps cannot be developed. Once an app is put in background, it stops its execution and it can be seen as closed.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I hate my Skype on L928. Almost never get notified about calls, messages. When I open it I see huge list of missed stuff in Recent 'page'. And sometimes it doesn't send messages for few days, I open it on laptop and type and send it again

About whatsapp. Only complain I have is notification under locked screen, I get notified sometimes right away-very late-never, makes me to apologize often for late reply)

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Skype currently (since moving from peer-to-peer to cloud) is riddled with issues. I'm sure they can fix it at some point, but even then a LOT more people I know use Whatsapp over Skype atm. And it's not just young people.. my mother for example often messages me on Whatsapp but didn't want Skype on her phone for whatever reason, even if she occasionally uses it on PC to talk with my brother who lives abroad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaviSmalle