12-17-2013 10:58 AM
36 12
tools
    Yeah, at first I tought it was a regional thing or something but a few days earlier I saw my friends using whatsapp and I was like.."Really? Like...seriously?" So now I need someone else to explain it to me.

How is Whatsapp better than Skype and why do so many people use it?
    As much as I know, whatsapp was released 2009 (wikipedia says that), and Skype in 2003 - IMO Skype has advantage.
    Whatsapp is available only on mobile devices while Skype can be installed on almost any device, from computers over tablets and consoles to smartphones, even on old "non-smartphones".
    The main thing is that Skype offers more features, screen sharing, calling to landline phones and much more.
    Not to talk about that having skype longer makes it have way more users.

And yet, I see people using it. Same goes for Viber and other copies.

Also I find that being owned by a very large inc (Microsoft) is another + for Skype.
    12-06-2013 10:29 AM
    just cause skype was founded earlier, doesn't mean it's better

for me the biggest things right now are notifications and easy of adding users.

not sure what you mean about having skype longer makes it have more users
    12-06-2013 10:45 AM
    I agree,i think Skype is the best IM but sadly none uses it :/
    12-06-2013 10:48 AM
    Skype was founded earlier and thus has more people using it (10 years mate).
    Also, IMO its better because for those 10 years they've learnt how to do stuff, they have more experience.
    12-06-2013 11:21 AM
    Skype was founded earlier and thus has more people using it (10 years mate).
    Also, IMO its better because for those 10 years they've learnt how to do stuff, they have more experience.
    if they have more experience then why do my notification on windows phone work worse than the ones for whatsapp?
    I'm not arguing who does what better, but you can't simply state that one company is better because they were in in the business longer
    12-06-2013 11:33 AM
    if they have more experience then why do my notification on windows phone work worse than the ones for whatsapp?
    I'm not arguing who does what better, but you can't simply state that one company is better because they were in in the business longer
    Well, it usually goes that way. Thats why I said it.
    12-06-2013 01:44 PM
    How is Whatsapp better than Skype?
    They are two different things, you cannot compare them.
    It's like saying that Facebook is better than Bing.
    uncletoma and akks like this.
    12-06-2013 01:50 PM
    I receive incoming Whatsapp messages instantly and very reliably.
    I sometimes receive incoming Skype messages instantly, sometimes after a couple of hours and sometimes next day.
    So while Skype can do more stuff, I find Whatsapp more reliable. I have uninstall and re-install Skype and see no improvement.
    12-06-2013 10:32 PM
    I believe skype started as a voip application that caters to computer users and compete against Yahoo! messengers, MSN Messenger and the likes. Whereas whatsapp was created to replace messaging on the phone with push notification, so the app doesn't have to stay opened to receive message. Early version of skype for phone does not have this feature.

Personally i think skype is better because it is one of the first phone app specially made to replace messaging. Since it was the first, a lot of people uses it. Furthermore, it allows you to scans your contact to see who else uses whatsapp too. In Skype, you have to add the users.
    12-06-2013 10:41 PM
    Skype on the phone is terrible as a messaging service. It is also feature lacking.

I find them both unreliable with PUSH. Skype was decent at first, then I started getting delays of hours, on Wifi... Same with WhatsApp but not quite that bad.

Kik has actually been the best with messaging accuracy, but it has an annoying bug where I get double toast notifications for every single message from my iPhone buddy.
    12-07-2013 12:08 AM
    Yep everyone knows Skype is a voice chatting(VOIP) app so no one really uses it as messaging. Whatsapp is known worldwide, and almost everyone who has a smartphone has one now. Even Nokia Asha phones come inbuilt with it. Sharing stuff(photos, videos) is very easy too, and adding contacts is easy just as adding the number to your phonebook thought anyone who has your number can see your online status(as well as your dp which is a bit intruding)
    Chregu likes this.
    12-07-2013 02:18 AM
    They are two different things, you cannot compare them.
    It's like saying that Facebook is better than Bing.
    They're almost the same thing, how can you say they're different?
    Both mainly IM services that allow side features such as file sharing and so on...

As for people complaining about notifications its all about how the app is handeled.
    If you leave skype open in background you'll get notifications, if you close it you can't expect that.
    Same would go for Whatsapp (haven't used it so I'm not sure), if there's a Whatsapp process left in the background you'll get notifications, otherwise you won't.
    12-07-2013 02:47 AM
    If you consider WhatsApp as kind of sms/mms messaging on steroids, the convenience of (e.g.) group messaging with photos is one of the reasons why it's done so well. I may be doing it wrong, but I can't seem to create a message Skype contacts who are offline, nor are there group messages available in the WP8 app (again - correct me if I'm wrong).
    12-07-2013 02:54 AM
    Both mainly IM services that allow side features such as file sharing and so on...

As for people complaining about notifications its all about how the app is handeled.
    If you leave skype open in background you'll get notifications, if you close it you can't expect that.
    Same would go for Whatsapp (haven't used it so I'm not sure), if there's a Whatsapp process left in the background you'll get notifications, otherwise you won't.
    I tried leaving my Skype open in background and some notification arrives instantly, some after a few hours and some next day. I really wanted it to work reliably but it simply doesn't. Using ATIV S on GDR2.
    12-07-2013 03:15 AM
    Whatsapp is a simple texting application on every platform everybody uses.
    Of course they added features over time, it's still much less bloated than Skype. Also it's based on phone numbers which gives an amount of control and simplicity. No signing up, no exchange of silly contact names. It's just much easier.
    Joshwin likes this.
    12-07-2013 03:27 AM
    WhatsApp allows you to stay in touch with whom you know their phone number; knowing their number, you can message them without asking their permission, neither waiting for their (adding) approval. WhatsApp it's a SMS alternative.
    Skype needs you to search for contacts, ask their friendship (waiting their approvals), then you can call and message them. It's more like a messenger app, mainly based on videocalls.
    Two completely different purposes.

Also, whatsapp doesn't allow file sharing... only picture, audio and video sharing.
    Skype on WP8 nothing because the OS sucks, but on desktop allows you to attach any kind of file.
    12-07-2013 06:43 AM
    I don't know what you mean with "open in background" *.
    If you mean that you need to open the app then push "start" instead of "back" to leave it open, then you didn't understand how the WP app lifecycle works.
    If you mean that you need to keep the app open in foreground (so, without doing anything else) you are clearly wrong.
    Both Skype and WhatsApp show notifications when the app is "closed", thanks to the WP push notifications.

* apps cannot stay open in background... this is why there is no multitasking in WP and some kind of apps cannot be developed. Once an app is put in background, it stops its execution and it can be seen as closed.
    12-07-2013 06:53 AM
    I hate my Skype on L928. Almost never get notified about calls, messages. When I open it I see huge list of missed stuff in Recent 'page'. And sometimes it doesn't send messages for few days, I open it on laptop and type and send it again

About whatsapp. Only complain I have is notification under locked screen, I get notified sometimes right away-very late-never, makes me to apologize often for late reply)
    12-07-2013 06:57 AM
    Skype is blocked on mobile networks in my country, full stop.
    12-07-2013 07:00 AM
    Skype currently (since moving from peer-to-peer to cloud) is riddled with issues. I'm sure they can fix it at some point, but even then a LOT more people I know use Whatsapp over Skype atm. And it's not just young people.. my mother for example often messages me on Whatsapp but didn't want Skype on her phone for whatever reason, even if she occasionally uses it on PC to talk with my brother who lives abroad.
    12-07-2013 08:24 AM
    How is Whatsapp better than Skype?
    It's not. It's just different. If I want to make a video call I sit at my desk and use Skype. If I want to casually message back and forth with someone I use Whatsapp on my phone.
    akks and Jupast like this.
    12-07-2013 12:14 PM

That's not how it works, notifications should be working regardless of whether the app is open or not as long as background tasks are enabled. However if you do keep skype open notifications are still unreliable and when it is open it eats battery way more.

Do you have a WP? Have you used both of these apps?
    12-07-2013 03:33 PM
    So basically it's a rhetorical question, because you've clearly already made up your mind.
    12-07-2013 05:54 PM
    Yeah, at first I tought it was a regional thing or something but a few days earlier I saw my friends using whatsapp and I was like.."Really? Like...seriously?" So now I need someone else to explain it to me.

How is Whatsapp better than Skype and why do so many people use it?
    As much as I know, whatsapp was released 2009 (wikipedia says that), and Skype in 2003 - IMO Skype has advantage.
    Whatsapp is available only on mobile devices while Skype can be installed on almost any device, from computers over tablets and consoles to smartphones, even on old "non-smartphones".
    The main thing is that Skype offers more features, screen sharing, calling to landline phones and much more.
    Not to talk about that having skype longer makes it have way more users.

And yet, I see people using it. Same goes for Viber and other copies.

Also I find that being owned by a very large inc (Microsoft) is another + for Skype.
    The Skype client is heavy on PCs, consumes way too much batteries if its always online, it works on very few phones.

Whatsapp is a true multiplatform client from low budget Nokias that run S40 to flagships of all major OSs.
    Its focused on chat and not calling, it doesn't consume too much battery and its super easy to setup as it uses your phone's contact and your own number so no email setup is needed, It can let you share Images/voice messages/videos and location across all versions of the app.

The app is very government friendly and as such its not blocked in the 3rd world countries where its biggest audience resides.

Its feedback about read messages and last seen status makes using it very convenient for families.

Skype is an inferior product in everyway to Whatsapp, I don't even bother to install it on my Lumia anymore.
    12-07-2013 06:46 PM
    It's not in my opinion.
    12-07-2013 08:00 PM
36 12