Medical students - what are you using?

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm at the end of my 4th year and I've grown accustomed to using Epocrates during rounds in addition to sometimes accessing Medscape. During breaks I'd fire up UWorld QBank to practice for the CK. Now that I just purchased my first Windows Phone device (1520) and have left Android, what alternatives do I have? What are the rest of you doing that are in medicine?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
No Epocrates coming to Windows phone any time soon. I've asked them directly several times and they are simply not interested in this platform. Not a lick. Might to well to hang onto a device that offers it. But there isn't anything close to that on this platform so far. I haven't chatted with the Medscape people yet but you might ask them.

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Man that's a shame. I wish there was a good alternative to Epocrates but there isn't. I guess I could use online Epocrates bit it just isn't the same. Might grab a used ipod touch and tether it to my 1520

Sent from my GT-I9100

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Man that's a shame. I wish there was a good alternative to Epocrates but there isn't. I guess I could use online Epocrates bit it just isn't the same. Might grab a used ipod touch and tether it to my 1520

Sent from my GT-I9100

Yep, a real shame. It would look great on Windows Phone. My wife is a physician and uses a Lumia 920. Not sure for how long though because of that one app, Epocraties. There is one app available on Windows phone but its got a Lexus price tag on it called UpToDate
Its useful but it's pricey.

Mantraxalos

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I emailed them and here are the responses:

USMLEWorld (Asked about WIN8 and WP8)
Our initial testing has shown that as long as Java is installed our products can be used on Windows 8 for desktop (Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro).
Please consult our help page at USMLEWorld Help Page - FAQ for Technical | Subscription | General Inquiries under "Installing Java on Windows & launching Qbank/Self-Assessment/CCS Interactive software" section for instructions that seem to work at the moment without any additional steps.
Our developers are aware of request for mobile access and are reviewing potential options and implementation scenarios however, an exact time frame (of if or when a solution will be available) is not currently known.

Thank you,
USMLEWorld Support Team

Epocrates:
Good day,
Thank you for contacting support at Epocrates, an athenahealth company.
Epocrates does not support Windows Mobile 6.5 or Windows Phone 7, and there are not any plans at this time to support Windows Phone 8.
Answer Title: Epocrates Mobile Device Recommendations
Answer Link: Support - Knowledge | Epocrates
Please let us know if you require further assistance.

Regards,
Epocrates Support

Medscape:
No response yet.

jonathanrn

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I would be happy with uptodate, but our hospital doesn't pay for remote access. Its unbelievably expensive!!

Give me a link to epocrates and I'll email them too about W8/WP8 support.

cdayo

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
This is the only thing that our platform lacks SEVERELY in - medical apps. Too many faggots using iPhones in hospital but now I know why - has all medical apps :(. Regardless, I will stay loyal to windows phone (currently using HTC 8x) and I suppose I'll just have to study harder and not have to rely on medical apps :p

jonathanrn

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Seriously? iPhone users aren't our enemies. I'd be happy with three mobile platforms. And you can get your point across without resorting to name calling. Completely unnecessary.

kvrbrijith

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
This is the only thing that our platform lacks SEVERELY in - medical apps. Too many faggots using iPhones in hospital but now I know why - has all medical apps :(. Regardless, I will stay loyal to windows phone (currently using HTC 8x) and I suppose I'll just have to study harder and not have to rely on medical apps :p

absolutely... I am a doctor. I have been searching for medical apps for last 8 months. Unfortunately, wp store is deserted as far as medical apps are concerned. No Medscape, no epocrates... Only Uptodate is der.
In my E63, there was isilo- a perfect reader for medical books. Here, isilo is the skeleton of what we see in android or iPhone. It's really irritating me

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
absolutely... I am a doctor. I have been searching for medical apps for last 8 months. Unfortunately, wp store is deserted as far as medical apps are concerned. No Medscape, no epocrates... Only Uptodate is der.
In my E63, there was isilo- a perfect reader for medical books. Here, isilo is the skeleton of what we see in android or iPhone. It's really irritating me

There are also no science related apps. I feel you.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Something I've been dealing with for years now. Android and iOS have a ton of advantage over WP in this area. If I remember correctly, Microsoft tried getting 'health'-app developers to the platform, but we ended up with a bunch of apps aimed towards patients and hardly any for healthcare professionals.

I've had to rely on MPR and the Medscape mobile website for the past couple of years. I've often wondered if maybe I should buy a second mobile device (either a small tablet or a second phone) to use while at the hospital...

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm a medical student in class 12,i mainly use dictionary.com app for searching terms.....but all the same,i do wish there were more medical apps in the wp store 😐

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb